Make Up Geeks!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo_boo1269

Reaction score
Hey
im just wondering if doing make up do you have much work? I've just got funding to do a VTCT Level 2 Beauty Thearpy Make up and I'm wondering if I would get much work out of it? As I'd be doing it mobile to work around me kids or would it be better to try and get in a salon or wedding shops or something? any help?

Hi I do makeup but I also have another part time job I couldnt earn a fulltime wage just off makeup alone I know some do but it is something that takes along time to build a client base and it can be very seasonal it really depends on how much money you want/need to earn .Sorry if I havnt been a huge help but no one else had replied so I thought Id share my experience ljboutique x

thanks hun you hav been a help xx

I'm a make up artist and there definately is a call for it, it will take a while to get your name known but once you have a few weddings under your belt you'll get more word of mouth is amazing! It's a good idea to get a portfolio together of make ups you have done, so people can see your work before they book a trial.

I have 10 weddings booked this year already, and a couple of one off fancy dress designs to do and thats not including Halloween and Xmas parties to come!

Weddings are a good money earner if you offer beauty treatments as many of my brides will also book those with me, for themselves and the bridesmaids.

When i first started out I dropped my flyers into hair salons as they usually get asked if they know of anyone who offers mobile make up!!

It would def be a good idea in looking into some other beauty units that will get you a regular clientele such as waxing/massage. Make up alone would make the work very sporadic.

xx

This is my second year offering make up and I can honestly say that if that was all I did then last year I wouldn't have pulled in enough to cover 2 or 3 mortgage payments let alone live off.

This year though, I have already got 5 weddings booked, a couple of end of term proms and a few parties so it's starting to head the way I want it to. These bookings mainly came through word of mouth or through existing clients who I see for other treaments.

The other thing I've just done (literally last few days) is hooked up with a local photographer who's got a pretty good rep so we're going to do a bit of work together on weddings etc.

Hope it all works out for you

T.x

Hi hun, I've been researching this like mad, I already do nail enhansments, spray tanning and waxing, I would say that spray tanning, waxing and natural nail treaments are good ones to have with makeup. If you can, go to a couple of wedding fairs this spring and see who's there, how many brides go and who you could swap leaflets with, i.e. you'll recomend wedding dress shops if they recomend your makeup, that sort of thing. Proms are getting to be big over here and graduation.
Gyms are a good place to advertise, if they are getting into shape for something, why not go the whole hog and have the makeup too.
The trend is definetly growing, for people to have professional services rather then doing things themselves.
But like every business, it takes time to build your rep and your client base.

My salon is two doors from a hairdressers and we work together with weddings, so I tend to get a lot of make-ups a year. Maybe you should write to and visit a few hairdressers that currently only offer hair and see if you could develop a similar arrangement?

I used to do wedding make up and was absolutely loaded up with work during the spring and summer months. I did it under the Virgin Vie umbrella which was good from the point of view of wedding fayres as a group of consultants would all chip in to pay for a stall and it got us loads of business and was very lucrative. Don't forget though, most weddings and rehearsals take place at weekends so forget about having any time off!!

I left VV about 10 years ago and did my own wedding make up for a while until I got my mobile business up and running and found that other therapies were taking over from makeup. I do very little wedding work now.

Latest posts

Back