Make-up help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xDanTeresa92

Reaction score
Hello,
During my time at college I done some make-up. It's something I've always enjoyed doing & have a great interest in it. I'm not rubbish at it, I'm not amazing either though! I know the basics and how to contour etc. I was just wondering if any one on here could offer any tips etc to really enhance my skills? Such as different techniques or products to try? I'm still during college training, on my final year I want to really be amazing at it Any help would be great. X

Make up is really about your own artistic flair you can be shown basics but it is ultimately down to you and your creativity . you tube is great for picking up tips pixie woo are good. Practise and don't be afraid to experiment . Use good quality makeup and get a good set of brushes. Good luck x

Make up is really about your own artistic flair you can be shown basics but it is ultimately down to you and your creativity . you tube is great for picking up tips pixie woo are good. Practise and don't be afraid to experiment . Use good quality makeup and get a good set of brushes. Good luck x
Thank you! I have some benefit, Mac etc. It's just really expensive whilst still in training. I've recently built myself a good collection of Real Techniques make up brushes, are they suitable or? I have been watching YouTube. I suppose practise is where I'm lacking. Thanks very much for replying. X

I love real technique brushes and the bold metal ones are lovely you don't have to have a massive kit to start but it is worth investing in good products buying cheaply will cost you more in the end ! Urban decay pallets are really good quality and great value for money . Can you not get any discount if your a student ?
Start with your basic essentials and build from there.

I love real technique brushes and the bold metal ones are lovely you don't have to have a massive kit to start but it is worth investing in good products buying cheaply will cost you more in the end ! Urban decay pallets are really good quality and great value for money . Can you not get any discount if your a student ?
Start with your basic essentials and build from there.
Yeah like them too. I really want the bold
Metal ones but they're a little more expensive lol. I don't think I get a discount for like urban decay or Mac. I'm not sure. It doesn't say like in stores or online student discount. I will look into it. I love make up & want to be really good at it also. X

I second watching lots of youtube. I did extra makeup training which was great but learning everything I can about makeup and practising my butt off has been what's helped me most. A couple of ther good ones to watch aside from Pixiwoo (who are fab) are Lisa Eldridge and Harry Makes it Up, they're both makeup artists and quite often their videos are them doing makeup on others. I like that because they're showing you about different skin types and textures, not just their own.

Once you're qualified you'll be able to apply for loads of discounts to be able to build your kit. Until then, just go with what you have and practice on anyone and everyone who'll let you. Do your friends up for nights out, get the girls round for a few drinks and do their makeup, ask people on facebook to be models.... Practice is what you need and you'll then see where you excel and where you might need a bit more training or trial and error.

I second watching lots of youtube. I did extra makeup training which was great but learning everything I can about makeup and practising my butt off has been what's helped me most. A couple of ther good ones to watch aside from Pixiwoo (who are fab) are Lisa Eldridge and Harry Makes it Up, they're both makeup artists and quite often their videos are them doing makeup on others. I like that because they're showing you about different skin types and textures, not just their own.

Once you're qualified you'll be able to apply for loads of discounts to be able to build your kit. Until then, just go with what you have and practice on anyone and everyone who'll let you. Do your friends up for nights out, get the girls round for a few drinks and do their makeup, ask people on facebook to be models.... Practice is what you need and you'll then see where you excel and where you might need a bit more training or trial and error.
Thank you very much! I appreciate it. Do I still get discounts on make etc. If I'll beat qualified beauty therapist but I have make up qualifications ?! X

I don't know if everyone will agree with this but even now when practising looks on myself I will use cheaper makeup if it's of a good useable quality. For instance Primark eyeshadows are highly pigmented and so are some of the cheaper brands sold at dressing up shops. I'm not saying that you should use these brands as part of a professional kit and you can't get away with cheap brushes but for the purposes of practising there are products out there to suit a smaller budget and if that's the difference between having access to products or not, then I'd argue that this has worked for me :)

Thank you very much! I appreciate it. Do I still get discounts on make etc. If I'll beat qualified beauty therapist but I have make up qualifications ?! X
Sometimes the discount is a bit lower if you do wedding makeup or are a beauty therapist but as long as you can show you've had makeup training, you should still be able to get one. Your Level 2 certificate should list the units on and you can use that. They do ask for other info though, quite often. Like a link to a website/portfolio and a business card. So get those as soon as you can.

Some also offer student discounts (I think MAC do?), so worth looking into those too.

I don't know if everyone will agree with this but even now when practising looks on myself I will use cheaper makeup if it's of a good useable quality. For instance Primark eyeshadows are highly pigmented and so are some of the cheaper brands sold at dressing up shops. I'm not saying that you should use these brands as part of a professional kit and you can't get away with cheap brushes but for the purposes of practising there are products out there to suit a smaller budget and if that's the difference between having access to products or not, then I'd argue that this has worked for me :)
Definitely agree. I quite often use Revolution or MUA palettes on me, it all helps to practice. I might not pull them out of my pro kit but if they work well and last well, then I'm happy to use them on myself.

Glad I'm not alone in my theory :)

My guilty pleasure is Laval liquid moisturiser. It works and has good blending and staying power and it doesn't feel too heavy on my face. I wouldn't hesitate to use it professionally if it wasn't for people having hang ups about brands.

I think with things like nail gel then you often get what you pay for (I'm happy to pay more for cnd because it is hypoallergenic). Same with waxing, I pay more for hot flexible wax because there's such a positive difference with using it. But makeup is more of a mixed bag in that I feel that the price tag or brand doesn't always communicate the quality of a product.

Yep I agree with that too. 'Drugstore' or affordable makeup has come on leaps and bounds. I think you are often paying for the name of something but that doesn't always mean that the product is any good. Most of my everyday makeup is more affordable brands, with a few bits of higher-end stuff mixed in.

I wonder if the advances in technology are such that cheap makeup today is comparable to high end makeup a few decades ago.

If I pay more for something I'm more scared to use it lol!

I think a lot of it is more that there a lot of huge companies that own a lot of brands, both high end and cheaper! You have brands like bourjois made in the same lab as Chanel (same company) so the formulas are very very similar!

Plus so many of them are made in china that it keeps costs down so they can charge less. You're paying for the name with a prestige brand!

Some drugstore brands are great I love for instance rimmel liquid liner cheap as chips but works great I like rimmel revlon and lorel lipsticks maybelline eraser cover and conceal is my favourite out of all concealer a Ive ever tried ! I definitely think some cheaper brands have a place in my kit ! The one product I can't skimp on tho is foundation I think with that you get what you pay for

I always liked maybelline foundation in my teens. Perfect coverage, lasted all day. I was disappointed when my skin type changed in my early twenties and it then began to feel too heavy.

Latest posts

Back