Make up lessons for men - advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M00min

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I'm an MUA and have been approached by a guy through my website asking if I do make-up lessons for men who cross dress.

Now I'm up for it in theory and happy to help this man, but have never actually applied make-up to a man before so was wondering if any of you had any tips, both for me and that I could pass on to him? Eg I was thinking of the beard area - could some foundations/methods of application cause discomfort or irritation?

Any words of wisdom gratefully received! x

Hi Geeks

I'm an MUA and have been approached by a guy through my website asking if I do make-up lessons for men who cross dress.

Hi M00min

I love working with my transgendered clients, and they're amongst the easiest to please and polite and curious about techniques too.
They're also extremely lucrative, as there aren't many professionals offering services to the transgendered community, and some involved in transvestite make-overs tend to be rip offs, but because they're few and far between many shy transvestites pay the money because they don't know any better.

Now I'm up for it in theory and happy to help this man, but have never actually applied make-up to a man before...

To be honest, baring a couple of small differences, it's not much different.

...so was wondering if any of you had any tips, both for me and that I could pass on to him?

Tips for you? Loads of them... see below

Tips for him? Basic ones, like skin care routines and simple application tips, but remember you're the expert and you don't want to give away trade secrets...

You'll need to ask what he wants, I charge a basic £80 for a make up lesson, but i also include a "shaving lesson", and really concentrate on skin care and preperation, as the application is made a whole lot harder if there is still stubble (no matter how short) on the face.

Eg I was thinking of the beard area - could some foundations/methods of application cause discomfort or irritation?

Any words of wisdom gratefully received! x

I doubt cosmetics would cause irritation, but i'd use a good qaulity moisturiser before applying your base.
Many trans clients want thier beard shadow illiminating, and this is easily achieved using a concealer that is just a slight shade darker than thier own, then a layer of liquid foundation over the top, again a shade darker, then i usually "cool" the colour off slighly with a really good powder foundation (such as MAC's studio fix)
I also apply the foundation all the way down the neck, being careful to blend in at the edges...
You'll probably find that there is an orange peel effect to the foundation, which is not unusual as most blokes have large pores.

Then eyes and blush as usual. I tend to concentrate the blush high on the cheek bones to lift.

If you're good with camuaflage make up, it will be even easier. You'd want to highlight features such as cheek bones, and shade areas such as masculine jaw bones and chins.

Hope this helps? PM me if you're really unsure.

Rebecca (MUA to many trannies)

Rebecca I love you lol! Thank you so much! He said he wants to go ahead - just hasn't confirmed details so fingers crossed he does. My boyfriend thinks I've lost the plot but I really want to do it.

Will let you know if it goes ahead and thanks again for the tips x

Hey good for you! I've done a couple of transgender clients and as Rebecca said they've been an absolute delight.

I didn't find any real difference other than the concealer I used was slightly darker and I also used a lot more shading on the cheeks but other than that, nothing different.

I really hope they confirm for you!

T.x

I'd go for it! With some luck, your client will tell their friends - and there's certainly a thriving transgender community in the Hampshire area - so you could find yourself with a growing group of very loyal repeat customers.

Well peeps thanks for all your comments. He's confirmed so we've set up a lesson in a few weeks! x

There is a great DVD that is available that shows trans girls how to apply makeup and products to use. I'll **** out the name of it, quite useful as it has some tips that may be of use.

Because your dealing with heavy skin and 5 o'clock shadows most trannies will often use something like a TV Stick (as in Television) as their foundation and then translucent powder on top.

When I drag up I like the Kryolan products, my friend Gloria prefers Screen Face. Let me know if you want links.

Mat x

There is a great DVD that is available that shows trans girls how to apply makeup and products to use. I'll **** out the name of it, quite useful as it has some tips that may be of use.

Because your dealing with heavy skin and 5 o'clock shadows most trannies will often use something like a TV Stick (as in Television) as their foundation and then translucent powder on top.

When I drag up I like the Kryolan products, my friend Gloria prefers Screen Face. Let me know if you want links.

Mat x

Hi Mat

I would definitely be interested in that DVD! Please can you PM me the name of the Kryolan products you like? I'm in London for the next two weekends so will be able to get to Screenface etc for a rummage! x

Hi Mat

I agree that most drag artistes and some transvestites do use panstick, but (imo) the only problem with using pan stick is that it really does look thick and heavy when up close.

It's very hard to make panstick look natural, which is what so many transgendered people want.

I do find it easier to use concealler all over the beard shadow, then a top quality (i use MAC) creme foundation, then a decent powder foundation to set does work better, looks more natural and gives a better matt finish.

However, your mileage may vary, and it's down to experimentation.

I'd also like a link to the dvd please Mat!

Rebecca

The DVD / Vid I was thinking of is called "Trading Faces".

I'm not sure if it is still available, I know The Boudoir used to stock it, showing out of stock at the moment but could be worth contacting them to see if they know when its coming back, if at all.

Mat

The DVD / Vid I was thinking of is called "Trading Faces".

I'm not sure if it is still available, I know The Boudoir used to stock it, showing out of stock at the moment but could be worth contacting them to see if they know when its coming back, if at all.

Mat

Hiya...

The Boudoir??? How they can charge the fees they do is beyond me, but then i guess many transvestites are prepared to pay them because they don't know any better.
Jodie Lynn advocates pan stick, or stage make-up, which looks so different in daylight it's an almost instant give away.
She uses it alot because many of her clients have photoshoots, and stage (or television) make-up isnt translucent under camera flashes like natural foundation cosmetics.

Personally, I find the boudoir do a very stylised make-up, and it's not very "natural", as in i've never seen a natal woman using such a style...

However, I've not seen the dvd, but there are also a good number of decent videos on youtube doing pretty much the same kind of thing.

However, from personal experience, I find that many trans clients want a natural look, and are aware that less is more, as for them, looking "too perfect" draws even more attention to themselves, which for many who wish to "blend in" or "pass", they don't want extra scrutiny because they look "too good"

It's a complete minefield, which is why i tend to spend a good 15 minutes on a consultation...

Rebecca

Hi all

I know this thread is a bit old now but I suddenly realised I'd never reported back on what happened!

It all went perfectly and the guy was lovely. Completely agree with Rebecca re the importance of a good consultation. In this case the guy wanted to look natural as a woman, but had had make up done before which was shockingly dated, ageing and heavy.

He has now bought some make up of his own so that he can practice and has booked a further appointment to develop his skills further.

Thanks for all your feedback and advice - it helped give me the confidence to go for it and I wouldn't hesitate to do a similar booking in future. x

Latest posts

Back