Make up! Need your opinion please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 17842_269489207011_5048037_n.jpg
    17842_269489207011_5048037_n.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 260
I don't want to be rude ad your not a pro but this makeup isnt great but I know you've not been trained so just keep practising trying new colour the colours you've used are really unflattering pinks can make eyes look sore . You need a good set of brushes and the key to a good make up is to blend blend blend ! You tube is great for tutorials go on pixiewoo tutorials you will ice up lots of tips and knowledge. You may find a colour wheel helpful. X

Well done for asking for advice and taking it so well.

Good points from everybody, (most of whom have far more experience than me,) particularly the difficulty in wearing pink next to the eye.
My own comments are:

She's got great skin, so make that a focal point.
Her brows need attention in the middle third.
Her lips are uneven; the top lip needs balancing. Very slightly extend the outline with a more natural liner. Highlight the centre.
Her lashes need mascara working in from the roots, or better still tinting. The roots can also be evened out by working in a suitable liner from beneath the lash root.

Good on you for thinking creatively. Carry on and consider a professional course; you've got the drive and imagination to do well. Good luck!

I think adding falsies and blending the eyeshadow more would have helped the look, probably with a nude lip if you're going brights on the eyes.

I assume this is a photo you took yourself? How was the shoot lit? Natural light or studio lighting?

it actually was a shoot photo :) the girl who was doing it learning as well :)

Well done for asking for advice and taking it so well.

Good points from everybody, (most of whom have far more experience than me,) particularly the difficulty in wearing pink next to the eye.
My own comments are:

She's got great skin, so make that a focal point.
Her brows need attention in the middle third.
Her lips are uneven; the top lip needs balancing. Very slightly extend the outline with a more natural liner. Highlight the centre.
Her lashes need mascara working in from the roots, or better still tinting. The roots can also be evened out by working in a suitable liner from beneath the lash root.

Good on you for thinking creatively. Carry on and consider a professional course; you've got the drive and imagination to do well. Good luck!

thank you :) im just trying on my friends :) im doing a college course and thinking to do fashion and photographic make up next year :)

I don't want to be rude ad your not a pro but this makeup isnt great but I know you've not been trained so just keep practising trying new colour the colours you've used are really unflattering pinks can make eyes look sore . You need a good set of brushes and the key to a good make up is to blend blend blend ! You tube is great for tutorials go on pixiewoo tutorials you will ice up lots of tips and knowledge. You may find a colour wheel helpful. X

tank you will try that too :)

I agree with Lynne - my sister IS a make up artist and hairdresser and her take on any job she does is that if she isn't willing to put her name to the look leaving then she will refuse to do it. It's her rep on the line and she's worked damned hard for it. She would rather loose one customer than loose lots by allowing a look she wouldn't release for something as permanent as a photoshoot.

The picture I've attached is from a photoshoot... notice the lack of obvious eyeshadow and very subtle blusher :)

OMG her skin looks fantastic! (extremely jealous lol)

Hahahaha thanks :) I'm sure she'll appreciate that! ;)

Just for you - here's one with some serious shadow!

Love the tattoos too xxx

I would just like to say for someone who is not a qualified makeup artist you haven't done too bad. If you did want some constructive critism then here it goes.
I know for photoshoots sometimes people ask for an abstract look which is fine as most natural looks which have been done by someone who is not trained will not show up on camera, and I know the eyeshadow design you have tried but you really do need to practise your blending. When I went to college I must have heard that word 50 times a day!! If you go on youtube search make up tutorials (they will help you).

The lipliner is definitely too dark against the lipstick, also a little tip I have is when the eyeshadow has dropped on the lashes and you do not want to apply anymore mascara (if the client does not want too much of a dramatic look) using an angle brush and black eyeshadow you can comb over the lash line. Hope this helps

LOL I'll be having to start a thread just for my sisters fan club at this rate :)
Shame I can't find any of the more abstract pictures she did some years ago... she did some for a series of very dreamy pics and they were stunning... *sigh* I WILL find them one day...

Checkout celebrity makeup artist Lisa Eldridge on YouTube and at her website www.lisaeldridge.com

She does some great tutorials. X

I would just like to say for someone who is not a qualified makeup artist you haven't done too bad. If you did want some constructive critism then here it goes.
I know for photoshoots sometimes people ask for an abstract look which is fine as most natural looks which have been done by someone who is not trained will not show up on camera, and I know the eyeshadow design you have tried but you really do need to practise your blending. When I went to college I must have heard that word 50 times a day!! If you go on youtube search make up tutorials (they will help you).

The lipliner is definitely too dark against the lipstick, also a little tip I have is when the eyeshadow has dropped on the lashes and you do not want to apply anymore mascara (if the client does not want too much of a dramatic look) using an angle brush and black eyeshadow you can comb over the lash line. Hope this helps

thank you very much :)

Hi there,

Is this your first attempt (you mention you're not trained yet)? If so, I do want to say congrats on a good effort - you've attempted a number of colours and covered most things (eyes, lips, brows, cheeks etc), but as people have already pointed out - it does need some tweaking!

I am a trained make up artist and you MUST get yourself trained (which I'm sure you know) but some advice I would give, is practice practice practice!! Look at magazine photos, try copying what they've done, don't start off with harsh colours - get your basic, natural shades right first and build up to stronger looks - they're not easy, even for those of us who have done make up for years and years.

Ensure you get properly trained and while experimentation is good, but you must get that natural look perfected first and then build up from there.

Good luck and keep enjoying it! X

Hello

Not bad for a first attempt (and for putting it on here, asking for opinions and accepting the advice graciously).

I personally would only do this type of bold look on a younger client and can't really add anything else technique wise that has already been mentioned.

Good luck with your studies, and we''re always here if you need any more help :)

Michelle

Can I butt in to ask if anyone on here has done a makeup course at School of Makeup in Stockport and if so, was it worth the money? It seems very expensive but many of the working artists locally seem to have trained there. I'm saving to do a course but it's £2495 for the 3 week course I'm interested in and that is a HUGE wedge of money to spend...

Any other opinions on training places would be good too!

Hi, I can't offer an opinion on the make up school in Stockport as I don't know it, but depending on what level you are at - if you are doing make up as a beginner, The Beauty Academy have some fantastic starter courses which are a lot cheaper than what you have mentioned. Like I say, I am not able to offer a comparison to the school you mention, but I do know The Beauty Academy are really good and also good value for money. Good luck, x

Thanks for that, I just had a quick look and it looks as though all the Beauty Academy courses for makeup are in London whereas I'm in the north west. I already have VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Cosmetic Makeup so I'm looking for something 100% practical with no theory content really. If there was something equivalent in the north I would give it a try!

Latest posts

Back