Make-up range and whether they are "salon ranges"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lillmissemmylou I know you fancy ji bit have you ever tried Artdeco? The reps will bring a full kit for you to play with and they too do a mobile kit for a similar price, all their foundations are lovely as are their eyeshadows, I love the whole range! Xx

Hey Nicolaluise, I love the look of Artdeco but I have a feeling they don't meet my requirement of no animal testing. I did send a message through to their customer service yesterday though asking if they could confirm either way as any information online is a little ambiguous (which normally means they test in some shape or form). But thanks for the suggestion :)

Hey Nicolaluise, I love the look of Artdeco but I have a feeling they don't meet my requirement of no animal testing. I did send a message through to their customer service yesterday though asking if they could confirm either way as any information online is a little ambiguous (which normally means they test in some shape or form). But thanks for the suggestion :)

Artdeco is readily available on offer at Beautybay http://www.beautybay.com/artdeco/ or at Chleo in Dublin.

Last edited:
Hi there, sadly I never received a response to the contact form and had I, I most certainly would have replied to say I had heard this. The quote I had read in response to "Do Artdeco test on animals" was

"In Germany, animal testing for the development of cosmetics and treatment products has been forbidden since 1998. Regardless, ARTDECO has never done animal testing on cosmetics/treatments and they are strongly opposed to animal testing and convinced that animal testing is not necessary for the manufacturing of cosmetics and treatment products".

However, what the answer did not say is that you do not purchase ingredients from suppliers who have tested it prior to your usage. This to me would be enough for me not to buy the product. That is what I mean by "some shape or form". I did also check websites such as PETA, leaping bunny and go cruelty free and none had your company listed on the list for cruelty free cosmetics.

My apologies for saying I had a feeling that you may test, but I in no way said "This company tests on animals", I gave my opinion based on what information I could find online and this was in no way a solid verdict on your company. As I said, I really love the look of your brand and indeed have mentioned it to people whom I know are not essentially looking for brands with the qualities I want. That said, I find your response on here insulting! I am very glad to hear you are not testing on animals however if as you yourself state the verbiage on your page is "laughingly a poor German to English translation" perhaps that is something you need to get your web team to look into as the wording does leave it open to items not being tested but ingredients being tested. Further still, I will for sure not be purchasing from your range now out of pride, nor will I be suggesting it to people as an option.

And for reference, I have always refused jury duty because I would not want to make a wrong decision on somebody elses future... so no worries there.

Hi,

ARTDECO is CRUELTY-FREE!!!

You have made this claim on a separate thread which is both offensive and insulting. You went to the Make-up & Pflege von ARTDECO German website and read a German to English translation. This is a genuine writing by a German person in English and is clearly unambiguous.

We do NOT test on animals in "some shape or form" as you wrongly and unfairly conclude. Let's hope you never make it to a jury, lest "innocent until proven guilty" is wiped away by you. :)

ARTDECO is CRUELTY-FREE!!! NO animal testing, at all!!!

I think the above response is a polite, respectful and well discussed answer, which isn't the case for art decos. I'm not impressed with their representative and will think twice about ordering. All that had to be said was that in actual fact they don't test on animals.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

A bit of bedtime reading for those who need to get themselves up to speed on animal testing in the EU
Ban on animal testing - European Commission

It's a minefield out there if you do not have the facts and one needs to be careful not to discredit the hard work of a company based on here-say and tittle tattle.

There have been massive advances in the practices of animal testing since the mid 90's and this most recent announcement is great news.

Let's try to keep to the op's original questions and steer away from political issues we have limited knowledge on.

And before anyone shoots me down, I'm only supplying information not giving personal opinion
:hug:

Hi there, sadly I never received a response to the contact form and had I, I most certainly would have replied to say I had heard this. The quote I had read in response to "Do Artdeco test on animals" was

"In Germany, animal testing for the development of cosmetics and treatment products has been forbidden since 1998. Regardless, ARTDECO has never done animal testing on cosmetics/treatments and they are strongly opposed to animal testing and convinced that animal testing is not necessary for the manufacturing of cosmetics and treatment products".

However, what the answer did not say is that you do not purchase ingredients from suppliers who have tested it prior to your usage. This to me would be enough for me not to buy the product. That is what I mean by "some shape or form". I did also check websites such as PETA, leaping bunny and go cruelty free and none had your company listed on the list for cruelty free cosmetics.

My apologies for saying I had a feeling that you may test, but I in no way said "This company tests on animals", I gave my opinion based on what information I could find online and this was in no way a solid verdict on your company. As I said, I really love the look of your brand and indeed have mentioned it to people whom I know are not essentially looking for brands with the qualities I want. That said, I find your response on here insulting! I am very glad to hear you are not testing on animals however if as you yourself state the verbiage on your page is "laughingly a poor German to English translation" perhaps that is something you need to get your web team to look into as the wording does leave it open to items not being tested but ingredients being tested. Further still, I will for sure not be purchasing from your range now out of pride, nor will I be suggesting it to people as an option.

And for reference, I have always refused jury duty because I would not want to make a wrong decision on somebody elses future... so no worries there.

Artdeco is readily available on offer at Beautybay http://www.beautybay.com/artdeco/ or at Chleo in Dublin.

Last edited:
I would fully understand your rants IF I had said artdeco 100% test on animals... but i did not. I said I was unsure but I had a feeling you might. I even linked to the only page I could find with information so others could read it themselves.

I would be a little naive IF I have been lazy and not done a search for "Artdeco Animal rights" or "Artdeco animal testing" and these searches had flung up a load of results... but I did search and I did not find what I was looking for. I also contacted your company direct and received no response.

Further to that I apologised regardless for misunderstanding (a statement that I still believe is open to interpretation) yet you are STILL more interested in jumping to a defensive stance rather than an informative helpful one.

And as for "it's ok to metaphorically point a loaded gun and press the trigger in our direction? but it's not ok for us to be both personally offended and very angry about it???" (http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/162794-animal-testing-3.html) there is only one gun I can see pointed at Artdeco right now... and that is in the hands of somebody other than myself. One may say these targeted rants could be seen as shooting oneself in the foot.

Always nice to see good customer service in action gaining a company potential new clients.

I would fully understand your rants IF I had said artdeco 100% test on animals... but i did not. I said I was unsure but I had a feeling you might. I even linked to the only page I could find with information so others could read it themselves.

I would be a little naive IF I have been lazy and not done a search for "Artdeco Animal rights" or "Artdeco animal testing" and these searches had flung up a load of results... but I did search and I did not find what I was looking for. I also contacted your company direct and received no response.

Further to that I apologised regardless for misunderstanding (a statement that I still believe is open to interpretation) yet you are STILL more interested in jumping to a defensive stance rather than an informative helpful one.

And as for "it's ok to metaphorically point a loaded gun and press the trigger in our direction? but it's not ok for us to be both personally offended and very angry about it???" (http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/162794-animal-testing-3.html) there is only one gun I can see pointed at Artdeco right now... and that is in the hands of somebody other than myself. One may say these targeted rants could be seen as shooting oneself in the foot.

Always nice to see good customer service in action gaining a company potential new clients.

Last edited:
why don't you try Vani-T mineral makeup. Not tested on animals, no opening, order and no Bismuth Oxychloride which is in a lot of mineral makeup ranges.

Thats a brand I hadn't actually looked into at all Joe! Thanks for the tip - off for a browse right now :hug:

In order to retail cosmetics in China it is compulsory to test them on animals first hence why a lot of brands are loosing their 'bunny' logo.

According to their website Art Deco is sold in China.

As for the OP's question why not pop along to Pro Beauty at the end if the month as lots of brands will be there for you to look at.

In order to retail cosmetics in China it is compulsory to test them on animals first hence why a lot of brands are loosing their 'bunny' logo.

Yes I saw this too!

As for the OP's question why not pop along to Pro Beauty at the end if the month as lots of brands will be there for you to look at.

Now THAT is irony for you!

I'm not sure if its the same as pro beauty, but I did actually get offered a free place on a coach to the beauty show in Dublin next month and so will hold onto my pennies until then! Was going to order my spray tan kit but will try and get it there too and also some wax pots! Might as well stock up on anything that has a good price - Thanks!

According to their website Art Deco is sold in China

I saw this too but does anyone know in what capacity products being sold in China have to be tested on animals? Is it the finished products? The ingredients? Or the original ingredients but as long as the formula isn't altered now no longer have to be tested? Lets face it at some point in time, I presume all original ingredients would have been tested on animals for any product or ingredient we use today - I don't think we can escape that but it doesn't mean that those practices are still in use today. I wonder if ArtdecoMUA could clarify this position for all of us that do in fact love Artdeco xx

I am not sure of the capacity in which they are tested, I just know that it is a LEGAL requirement in China to test any cosmetic on an animal before it can be sold in stores there.

I saw this too but does anyone know in what capacity products being sold in China have to be tested on animals? Is it the finished products? The ingredients? Or the original ingredients but as long as the formula isn't altered now no longer have to be tested? Lets face it at some point in time, I presume all original ingredients would have been tested on animals for any product or ingredient we use today - I don't think we can escape that but it doesn't mean that those practices are still in use today. I wonder if ArtdecoMUA could clarify this position for all of us that do in fact love Artdeco xx

Last edited:
Hi, we have requested clarification from the Head Office. What we do know is the Artdeco company does not have a business in China. If the products are being sold in China it is absolutely by a third party.

We have asked for clarification as to what this means.

The Artdeco company is cruelty free and the Artdeco company is not involved in any animal cruelty.

ArtdecoMUA xxx

This is the information taken from this page on your website:

Worldwide: ARTDECO cosmetic GmbH

'The Road To Asia'

'Entering the Chinese market was a long venture. More than two years of preparation were necessary to fulfill all requirements for importation.'

I take it this meant 2 years of animal testing in order to comply with China's legal cosmetic retail requirements?

Going back to your previous post, I don't really think LilMissEmmylou's post was being 'offensive or insulting' but I did think that your reply to her was (sorry, just my opinion). But I do think that you need to get some form of clarification from your company before you spit your dummy out in contradiction to information clearly posted on your website.

I'm not meaning to be offensive here myself (even tough it does seem that way) I, like everyone else, is just flippin confused at your claims?

This is the information taken from this page on your website:

Worldwide: ARTDECO cosmetic GmbH

'The Road To Asia'

'Entering the Chinese market was a long venture. More than two years of preparation were necessary to fulfill all requirements for importation.'

I take it this meant 2 years of animal testing in order to comply with China's legal cosmetic retail requirements?

Going back to your previous post, I don't really think LilMissEmmylou's post was being 'offensive or insulting' but I did think that your reply to her was (sorry, just my opinion). But I do think that you need to get some form of clarification from your company before you spit your dummy out in contradiction to information clearly posted on your website.

I'm not meaning to be offensive here myself (even tough it does seem that way) I, like everyone else, is just flippin confused at your claims?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back