Make-up range and whether they are "salon ranges"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

So, yes I have done a search but cant find what I am looking for.

I read a very helpful post/article by Matthew regarding Skincare brands/ranges and whether they had opening orders and whether they were considered low mid or high end.

I am looking for a similar thing for make up ranges. I am salon based but always get approached about Bridal make up, until now I had used a small limited mobile kit which I had had before my salon days but am not looking at taking a range on within the salon. I would like to stick to one brand as I would like to retail it too.

I have been looking at Art Deco and am VERY impressed but I haven't decided just yet, unfortunately for me I am outside of their catchment area so they wont be able to send someone out to see me....:(

How do brands such as MAC and YSL sit within salons or are these considered more "over the counter" brands......??

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Thankyou :)

Oh i'm interested in this too... i'm renting a room in hairdressers as of thurs but don't have a proper make-up range just odds and ends... i don't want to spend a fortune cause don't know if there's going to be demand for it but the bits i have look very amateaur... sorry for jumping on your post but very interested in what response u get !!!!!!:confused:

No worries Nubee. Im not ina position to spend a fortune but I dont mind spending a bit to get the quality. Its more about peoples perception I think and as Im retailing Im just interested in whether people see MAC etc as for use in Salons, all a bit new to me really. Different if your a MUA and then your kit is made up of various brands.

I don't think you would get permission to stock MAC or YSL in a salon.

The kinds of brands that are good for salon use and retail are Jane Iredale, bare Minerals, glo minerals, lily lolo, mii, etc mainly mineral brands from what I've seen.

Hth

Ah ok, this is interesting. Can anyone else shed any light on this? It's new territory for me :)

Can anyone advise?? :eek:

I want to revive this thread, as I a also interested in an affordable range of make up to stock in salon?? Affordable to yself and my clients, but not cheap. Anyone??

Artdeco are incredible. Affordable for the client and you. They have excellent pigmentation are very professional. Done make up for coronation st for the NTA's and lots lots more. Dita Von Teas is the current promotional icon.

I'm in Scotland. Not exactly in their area but I haven't found that to be a problem. Why not find a salon near to you who stock it, phone them see if you could book in for a look. With full disclosure of course. I'd be happy to show someone there potential.

P x

Hi all, I looked into the mii range. Had the rep come into the salon. An absolutely beautiful range. Wanted it there and then. The down side is that they expect you to have a minimum amount in, and with the stand it worked out around £5000. Not good for a small local salon. Wish that there was something in between.

I started this thread a while back but I have decided (I think!) that Art Deco is the one for me.

I have trialled it and its fantastic, customer service hasnt been the best Ive had but I do hope Ive been unfortunate!

It ticks all the boxes for me, no opening order. Amazingly huge choice including a mineral range and there are various packages to suit almost any size salon AND it has a good profit margin.

I know this is an old one but i can't find the answer I am looking for but thought this thread was on the right subject at least.

Now I was asked today by a friend if I would do her make-up for the BAFTAs and although I can't as I am not in London at the time I realised that more importantly I do not have a professional make-up kit anyway!

Now we use Jane Iredale in college and I quite liked their foundations (liquid and powder) and the blush, bronzers and hilighters. Not a big fan of most of the shaddows or mascara but I would still like to buy a lot of items from their range as they tick my box of being cruelty free.

I went onto their main website and could not find an option to buy in the UK? also I read on another thread they offer a starter kit suitable for salons or mobile therapist which is ideally what I would like - I know some of you use the brand and so I was wondering if anyone could advise me where to get this? I tried to email their customer services but the email was returned as "delivery failed".

Thanks in advance :)

I know this is an old one but i can't find the answer I am looking for but thought this thread was on the right subject at least.

Now I was asked today by a friend if I would do her make-up for the BAFTAs and although I can't as I am not in London at the time I realised that more importantly I do not have a professional make-up kit anyway!

Now we use Jane Iredale in college and I quite liked their foundations (liquid and powder) and the blush, bronzers and hilighters. Not a big fan of most of the shaddows or mascara but I would still like to buy a lot of items from their range as they tick my box of being cruelty free.

I went onto their main website and could not find an option to buy in the UK? also I read on another thread they offer a starter kit suitable for salons or mobile therapist which is ideally what I would like - I know some of you use the brand and so I was wondering if anyone could advise me where to get this? I tried to email their customer services but the email was returned as "delivery failed".

Thanks in advance :)

IIAA are the UK distributor of Jane Iredale

iiaa Ltd

Michelle x

Hi, I use Jane Iredale and think they're fab. I trained in make up about 30 years ago (which is shockingly scary) and have used virtually every brand available. When I set up doing beauty, I started out doing Virgin Vie, but felt that it wasn't professional enough for me. I bought in Jane Iredale through the IIAA and it has been great. Clients love the products, there are colours to suit every skin colour - I have done a massive Asian wedding which basically paid for the kit. The opening order was £500 - I don't know if that has changed, but you can decide what you get for that outlay. Please feel free to personal message me if I can give you any more info - don't work for the company, just love the product. Hope that helps x

Thanks for the info ladies! Appreciate it lots.

I've contacted the IIAA and they have given me a few dates which they can send a sales person out to visit me to talk over options but I did say I was looking a mobile kit really to start with.

Poor OH, when I told him i expected it to be no less than £600 his jaw nearly hit the floor, so knowing the opening order is or was £500 at least gives me an idea that I am at least thinking in the right ball park price wise.

Squidge - the eyeshaddows we use in college are all very blah colour wise (they have about 25 colours but they are all very samey and no real wow colours). Do they have a good colour range to buy from normally? I am hoping that they have a wider range than was in our college colour pallet.

Feeling very excited about the idea of being able to get my make-up kit on its way :)

I think they have some great colours - loads - some boring and samey, but a lot more vibrant ones than when I joined them about 8 years ago. They also do stunning glitters that can be used wet and look like solid gold - great for eyeliners and things. My sister is also a stockist/make up artist and she uses lots of other ranges, but thinks it's great to have your staple colours and the pure pressed bases are fab - I personally don't really like the liquid foundations. Hope that helps x

Oh wow fantastic! No we for sure never had any of that in college but it sounds great. I love the idea of shaddows that can sparkle that much.

Oh see I never liked using the pressed powders on their own, I always rathered the liquid with a bit of powder on top but its good to at least have options :)

Yes i think the Jane Iredale opening order is still £500 and for that they will also do a launch for you. You have options of buying the displays etc. which are more pricey but you dont have to, i managed to get one of their older types of display off ebay and it still looks fab! If you contact IIAA they will give you more details (probably best not mention ebay...!)

Molemaid, thanks for confirming the opening order is likely to be the same and no I wont mention ebay lol. No real need for a launch day, I really do just want the mobile kit to start doing some mobile make-up and spray tans (buying a tan kit too) to get me started once my level 2 is complete. Keep me out of trouble while I do my level 3 and hopefully get me a few pennies to build up more equiptment for a home salon. Thanks for the tips though - appreciate it :)

Latest posts

Back