Makeup Primers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Just wanted to pick all your brains to see if any of you use a makeup primer? As I suspect that most will be over the counter ones and not professional ones I have posted this on the consumer queries section.

I have tried the one by GOSH but dont think it really made much difference so would be interested to find out which ones if any you all use and what the benefits of using them are.

Is the benefits of a makeup rimer something that can be re-created from other products (moisturiser etc) and therefore not needed or are they really a product that has totally different benefits than anything else?

Many thanks

Hi out of personal preferance I love Clairns Beauty Flash Balm as a primer for make up.

The benefits are; it gives you a smooth even canveass for make up application, evens out the skin texture and diminishes pores, plus it gives a slightly tightening effect to the skin, great for the more mature lady!:lol:

Also the benefit of using a primer is to extend the staying power of the make up during the day/evening.

I have only used it with mineral make up on top though so not sure how it will work with normal cream/liquid foundations.

I'm sure you will get a lot more replies regarding other Geeks preferred brands.:hug:

I am a mineral makeup fan too and I truly believe that it is the way forward as regards makeup goes.

I used to use the flash balm quite a few years ago but havent used it in recent years. Might be worth giving it another try.

Thanks nailedON.

Hi Theresa,

It has to be MAC Prep and Prime for me. Make up goes on fantastically after use.

I'm a big fan of Beauty Flash Balm too, Theresa, but it depends on what you are using it for. Fantastic for wedding and special occasion make-up, goes great under LL foundation (let it sink into the skin for 15 mins first!) but if you are looking for a primer to act as a fixer (ie Stickey for the face! lol!), then the MAC one is definitely the best I've come across.

A nice little tip that was also shared with me by a make-up artist that does a lot of catwalk shows and photographic make-up is to use Clarins Eye Revive, the eye area version of Beauty Flash balm, on the whole face. It has great lifting effect, and acts a superb base, but has slightly less reflective pigment in it....its a bit more expensive as a base, but it does give great effect.

I have a tube of the regular Beauty Flash Balm here, on its last legs (and several replacements!) so I'll bung it in the post for you first thing tomorrow so you can try before you buy, so to speak!

Hi Theresa,

It has to be MAC Prep and Prime for me. Make up goes on fantastically after use.

Agreed, plus its got SPF 50 too, which is great for keeping those naughty UV rays away!

Def Mac Prep and Prime..keeps makeup on all day! I just love it!

Liv

Agreed, plus its got SPF 50 too, which is great for keeping those naughty UV rays away!

SPF that high is fab for skin protection, but don't forget though if using this for photographic at all... eg weddings, SPF this high could leave your client looking absolutely ghostlike in pictures.

I was trained to avoid SPF like the plague in photographic make-up. I admit that I've relaxed a little with the natural SPF's in mineral make-up, but tend to avoid anything that is too heavy on Titanium Dioxide, and try to use a finishing pwder that doesn't have it.

But for pure no slide power, its great.

either Clarins Beauty Flash, or if I have to wear a foundation (all that on myself, I'm just a nail tech) I have the primer of Bodyography, my mineral make up

Latest posts

Back