Making it shine?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojosnails

Reaction score
a lady came in yesterday to see if we sold something that she'd had used on her at a salon (not us). she said they used a file on her that they used back and forth, rather than in one direction only, and that they told her this would cause heat and friction which would seal the layers at edge of the nail?!?!:rolleyes:
surely heat and friction would split the layers?? thats what i have always been taught.

she also said they used something over the surface of the nail which made it smooth and shiny, so i showed her a buffer and asked if it was something like that. she said they did use something like that which made it shiny but that they used something hard over the nail first to make it smooth?! i asked if it was a file (thats all i could think it would be) and she said no.
so what could it have been?

i tried asking questions and suggesting things to try and figure out what they had used but couldnt get to the bottom of it! any ideas anyone?

It was one of those sets of buffers they pounce on you with in the shopping centres - they sell them as 3 seperate buffers in a faux suede case for about £10.

Your Girlfriend buffer, or Glosser, or whatever you use for final finishing is exactly the same but a fifth of the price :lol:

They tend to use it pretty agressively to get a totally flat surface on the nail then buff to a high gloss shine.

It was one of those sets of buffers they pounce on you with in the shopping centres - they sell them as 3 seperate buffers in a faux suede case for about £10.

Your Girlfriend buffer, or Glosser, or whatever you use for final finishing is exactly the same but a fifth of the price :lol:

They tend to use it pretty agressively to get a totally flat surface on the nail then buff to a high gloss shine.

ah that would make sense! she said it was a kit they were trying to sell her, so it may well be that! thanks!

Modern fine files and buffers will not split or layer the nail plate.

The technician was quite right ... used in a back and forth gentle motion, modern fine abrasives will actually seal the free edge.

The technician was quite right ... used in a back and forth gentle motion, modern fine abrasives will actually seal the free edge.

Well I didn't know that! But I do now! :)

I was attacked by one of those mall people. He said don't worry if it gets hot it's just the blood coming to the surface ... I don't know how I didn't wop him one and say, didn't you learn in the boy scouts how to make fire? ... it's called friction love!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mind I don't think his technique could ever be described as gentle!

I still get some horrified looks from clients when I use a back and forth motion when filing the free edge,
And when I explain the "truth" they look at me all bewildered as they want to believe me, and then realise it does actually make sense, but cant quite get their heads around it :lol:

I still get some horrified looks from clients when I use a back and forth motion when filing the free edge,
And when I explain the "truth" they look at me all bewildered as they want to believe me, and then realise it does actually make sense, but cant quite get their heads around it :lol:

It takes a long long time to dispell MYTHS and old Wives Tales. There are so many of them still abounding!!

i never new that! i was taught at college that going back and forth causes friction which splits the nails! i guess not everything they teach you is completely correct!

i never new that! i was taught at college that going back and forth causes friction which splits the nails! i guess not everything they teach you is completely correct!

30 years ago when manicurists used sandpaper files it was true. Those big old pieces of grit shreaded the free edge of the plate, so had to be used very gently in the old-fashioned way (and they still tore up the edge of the nail plate ... but less obviously lol).

Now adays (and for some years, since the introduction of different materials and finer grit files) the old rules no longer apply unless you are using heavy frit or sandpaper files. 240 and higher for the natural nail only.

It does seem to take some institutions a long time to catch up ... mainly because those teaching nails are not usually nail technicians!! :irked: or nail technicians that are woefully out of date.

"dead Sea Spa" its doing the rounds here at the moment in the malls... I nearly died.. I asked to see a demo on someone Else's nails... what they are doing is applying buffing paste (heres the dead sea bit) on to the natural nail, buffing the natural nail (off!) then following up with a Chamois buffer... the nails are coming up shiny YES.. but also about 30% thiner... and you are advised to do this to your nails a few times a week.... ummm scuse me.. but after 2-3 goes at it your not going to have much nail left!... these booths are as bad as and as un-educated as NSS IMO.

Sorry Geeg, been thinking about this one. Are you talking about buffing over the surface of the nail with a buffer, or filing the end of the free edge ... or both?

30 years ago when manicurists used sandpaper files it was true. Those big old pieces of grit shreaded the free edge of the plate, so had to be used very gently in the old-fashioned way (and they still tore up the edge of the nail plate ... but less obviously lol).

Now adays (and for some years, since the introduction of different materials and finer grit files) the old rules no longer apply unless you are using heavy frit or sandpaper files. 240 and higher for the natural nail only.

It does seem to take some institutions a long time to catch up ... mainly because those teaching nails are not usually nail technicians!! :irked: or nail technicians that are woefully out of date.

Sass, I am sure Geeg is talking about filing the free ege here.

I still shudder when I think of people using those horrible old emery boards!! Or even worse if they didn't have one, why not use the striking side of a matchbox to smooth that ragged nail :eek:!!!!!

Now we use fabulous 240 grit files that do not cause damage, splitting or peeling of the natural nail and it is recommended to gently file backwards and forwards with them to seal the layers of nail.

Which of course is a good retail opportunity for us technicians, as we, of course, are the best people to sell a good quality 240 grit abrasive!!!

Oh and Classy Claws I couldn't agree with you more....Some of the damage I have seen caused by these buffer sales people is unbelievable especially when part of their pitch is that 'acrylics damage your nails' and you are better buffing the life out of your nails instead :irked:

I remember in the UK earlier this year walking through a mall and being accosted by the Dead Sea products. I had my nail buffed...indeed I had a lovely healthy shine...well shiver my timbers that buffer was free if I bought a kit including 2 Dead Sea lotions and potions....the girl doing the 'selling' was from Israel she said...I think she dug in the sea for these products herself she said...and if I bought 2 kits I got a 3rd kit free....fantastic I said...let me have them now...:rolleyes: Well she said... £40 each... ooohhhhh I said let me take more... 2 potions and a buffer for £40 what a bargain...not forgetting if I gave her £80 I got 2 kits and one free....fantastic I said...did I have flippin MUG written across my forehead :eek:

Interesting to know about the back and forth motion sealing the free edge. :)

Sorry Geeg, been thinking about this one. Are you talking about buffing over the surface of the nail with a buffer, or filing the end of the free edge ... or both?

I thought the poster was asking about the free edge!! Of course I was talking about the free edge.

As if I would ever advocate using a back and forth motion over the surface of the nail plate with ANY kind of buffer, miss Sassy Hassy !!! :eek: I shudder to even think of it.

I guess that's a no to the buffer then :smack: :green:! Was just testing you Wilson! (erm that's a Dad's Army reference for our younger geeks!)

Latest posts

Back