Making jewellery

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireamy

Reaction score
Do any of you fellow geeks make jewellery? If so , where do you buy your stock from? Any good tips to get started?

I have been thinking about 'sidelines' to boost income a bit. I'm trying to get my portflio of nails together and noticed how jewellery features a lot in people's photography and how it enhances the look of nails. In fact they really compliment each other.

So when clients see my pictures (I hope!) they will ask about the jewellery too and I can say I designed and made it myself and maybe retail a few items along the way.

Only trouble is, I've got loads of ideas but don't know where to start about putting it into practice! Can anyone help? Thanks xx

I got a lovely bracelet from next a while back..it was silver coloured balls on a stretchy thread and you got about 6 in different sized balls....it cost about £6....i loved it but as it was only silver coloured it tarnished and discoloured after a few months....so i thought i would make my own from real silver....i found some real silver balls (beads) from a guy on ebay and some of the stretchy thread and they are lovely and will last and last...it looks like this......http://www.nextag.com/norob/PtitleSeller.jsp?chnl=main&tag=27393864&ptitle=59944596 It cost me about £7 to make ... I have got 2 orders from clients who want me to make them one....so who knows where it could lead....H Samuel had better watch out....pmsl xx

Pm Angelfingers she makes some lovely bits maybe she'll be able to help you.

you mentioned my name :lol: ? cant think of all my suppliers at the mo because i'm not on my own computor. but i buy most of my silver from palmer metals or cooksons, i'm sure they will come up if you google.

Bagpuss said:
I got a lovely bracelet from next a while back..it was silver coloured balls on a stretchy thread and you got about 6 in different sized balls....it cost about £6....i loved it but as it was only silver coloured it tarnished and discoloured after a few months....so i thought i would make my own from real silver....i found some real silver balls (beads) from a guy on ebay and some of the stretchy thread and they are lovely and will last and last...it looks like this......http://www.nextag.com/norob/PtitleSeller.jsp?chnl=main&tag=27393864&ptitle=59944596 It cost me about £7 to make ... I have got 2 orders from clients who want me to make them one....so who knows where it could lead....H Samuel had better watch out....pmsl xx

Oh, I love those Angie, very elegant! Goodluck with your client orders!:)

I have toyed with the idea of making jewellery, as I love doing that type of thing. Ebay does a good selection of beads etc. Some sellers even have bead kits. Hobby Craft sells some nice stuff too.

hiya, i've just taken up making jewellery (only costume stuff). i have sold a few things and i do enjoy doing it. it can get quite costly though as you find more and more things to buy as therei s so many differant things to use. as said hobbycraft is quite good and ebay. let me know and i can pm you some of the ebay shops i've used which are good.

regards

Hi

I can make my own basic items.

I have a few jewellery making mags which I was going to sell if anyones interested
I also have the book "Jewelry making and Beading for Dummies"

Thanks

I used to make Jewellery as a hobby!

When long strings of glass beads were in I made LOADS! I have since sold them all on ebay! lol!

They cost me around £3.00 to make, and I sold them for around £10.00 each.

You can find lots of beads on ebay - loads and loads, and clasps and spacer beads......the list is endless, and you really can make wonderful bits.

You could even start making them to order! :green: Fab little sideline!

Another thing I used to do is get broken beads and chains etc from car boot sales, use the beads on them already and the chains, using jewellery pliers use bits of each to make new ones! As long as the colour of the chain matches them they look great! It really is quite easy to do if you have a little patience.

Its a fab idea, go for it!!! xxx

I went through a phase of making jewellery,ad i used to get everthing from ebay,i olny stopped because i had to do it on the dining table,i had nowhere else ad my little thought it was a right laugh to knock my beads on the floor and listen to the noise it made !

Might take it up again now he is a bit older !

i really got into beading a few yrs ago (well it was prob more than a few) ive got a draw full of stuff... never seem to get the time to play and make stuff... i guess it was a phase i was going through at the time.......lol

Jess
xox

Thanks for your replies guys! I'm excited now and am going to start looking for things to make and some ideas!
xx

I went through a phase of making and selling my own jewelry even had some parties at peoples houses and took orders. I really enjoyed it, guess us geeks have an arty heart.

Hhhhmmm!

may just give this ago - never tried - is it easy?

Latest posts

Back