Male chest and back waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I've had an enquiry from the friend of a relative about chest and back waxing

Having done my waxing course I presume I'm ok to do this? Is there anything different to bear in mind with men? All advice welcome thank you

No problem to do it. Great fun actually! [emoji4]
You get through more strips though because of the amount of hair you're taking off.
Some can be a bit wimpy with the pain but just carry on ...[emoji12]
For the neck line, use small strips and stretch well.

No problem to do it. Great fun actually! [emoji4]
You get through more strips though because of the amount of hair you're taking off.
Some can be a bit wimpy with the pain but just carry on ...[emoji12]
For the neck line, use small strips and stretch well.
Great, thank you

Silly question, where do you start from? Above the trouser line ? And how long should I be taking for chest & back?

Silly question, where do you start from? Above the trouser line ? And how long should I be taking for chest & back?

I'm guessing people probably start in different ways. This is how I do it:

1. First lie them on their front (this way they can hide the pain on their face more easily...)
  2. Do the side farthest from you starting at the shoulder end, working your way down in sections to the lower back.
  3. Then start on the side nearest you, again working down in sections.
  4. Then go back for any odd patches to tidy up.
  5. For the neck, hair line and collar bone areas, sit them up and do this with small strips getting them to turn their head as needed to provide a good stretch. You can sit them in a chair for this if your couch position isn't helpful.
  6. Then do the chest with them lying on their back, again working in sections starting with the areas away from you first.
  7. Apply soothing lotion & provide home care advice at the end as usual.

Tips:
  • Chat to your client first with their shirt off in front of a mirror and ask them exactly what end look they want to achieve. Sometimes they don't actually want everything removed from the chest - just a bit of tidying up.
  • Tuck a towel along the line of their underwear to give a good clear line to wax to and it avoids getting wax on their clothes.

I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong way to do it, along as you work according to hair growth direction.
The reason you always start with the area furthest away from you (and this applies to leg waxing too) is so that when you lean over the client you don't get your tunic sticky! :)

Timing - I would allow an hour for the first time you treat this new client.
Price - probably charge about the same as you do for a full leg wax. If they just want the back done, then a bit more than the price of a half leg wax.

Last edited:
I'm guessing people probably start in different ways. This is how I do it:

1. First lie them on their front (this way they can hide the pain on their face more easily...)
  2. Do the side farthest from you starting at the shoulder end, working your way down in sections to the lower back.
  3. Then start on the side nearest you, again working down in sections.
  4. Then go back for any odd patches to tidy up.
  5. For the neck, hair line and collar bone areas, sit them up and do this with small strips getting them to turn their head as needed to provide a good stretch. You can sit them in a chair for this if your couch position isn't helpful.
  6. Then do the chest with them lying on their back, again working in sections starting with the areas away from you first.
  7. Apply soothing lotion & provide home care advice at the end as usual.

Tips:
  • Chat to your client first with their shirt off in front of a mirror and ask them exactly what end look they want to achieve. Sometimes they don't actually want everything removed from the chest - just a bit of tidying up.
  • Tuck a towel along the line of their underwear to give a good clear line to wax to and it avoids getting wax on their clothes.

I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong way to do it, along as you work according to hair growth direction.
The reason you always start with the area furthest away from you (and this applies to leg waxing too) is so that when you lean over the client you don't get your tunic sticky! :)

Timing - I would allow an hour for the first time you treat this new client.
Price - probably charge about the same as you do for a full leg wax. If they just want the back done, then a bit more than the price of a half leg wax.
You're an absolute star, thank you [emoji4]

Just to add, make sure they have their trousers pulled down a little bit. Otherwise if they are wearing shorts (holiday ) and they move down a bit they can have a hairy strip x

You will love doing this Blossom, it’s so therapeutic!

JAck Dunn has some fab vids on You Tube showing how he does it/ his routine & i Go back to these if im feeling rusty. Just dont watch his male intimate wax if you are of a nervous disposition lol!

If you follow him on facebook too he sometimes posts tutorial etc. Xx

Thanks Minkeybox, they are good videos. He advises using oil before the wax though which confused me as I thought the pre wax cleanser was to remove traces of oil so the wax adheres properly, does anyone do the oil thing and why/how does it help?

After all this time without him booking, he now has an appointment! I’m a bit concerned as to where you stop exactly, for example my hubby is very hairy on the back and also arms, if I just did his back and stopped at the sides it would look a bit funny. I don’t know if this guy has hairy arms, but what would you all advise doing?

Last edited:
You can oil but you need just the tiniest amount and then blot with tissue - others use talc but it’s personal preference really.

With regard to where to stop waxing, if you’re using strip wax just press the used strip onto the hair you want to stay and remove. This will thin it out and give a natural look by blending into the hair you want to stay.

Hope this helps.

That’s fantastic, I didn’t know you could do that! Thank you [emoji4]

Just another quick question, do you include the neck? And if it’s chest, presume you include tummy if needed and is that extra or expected to be included? X

Usually the neck will be dealt with by a barber.

Personally I’d include the stomach but talk to your client at the consultation about exactly what they want waxed. It is a great idea to have descriptions in your price list as to what’s included in each option if you decide to charge more for certain areas as this saves any awkwardness.

It went really well :)

Is there a wax that is more suited to coarse male hair? I found some areas hard going

Perron Rigot do one called Homme but it’s a non strip wax and not sure if you’ve trained?

I’m currently using Kim Lawless Cockney Rebel and Curiosity Killed The Cat and am really pleased with the results I’m getting.

Was it the first time he’s waxed? If so, it will get easier.

Yes I trained in waxing last year, in strip and non strip, I just went with the wax which was my favourite to use on the training day out of the ones we tried, which was an aloe Vera warm strip wax. Would I need to have trained with Perron Rigot to buy their products?

The first time for several months!

No, not at all. I’m sure they will send you samples if you buy direct. Alternatively Ellison’s stock Perron Rigot.

Latest posts

Back