Male Clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misswax

Reaction score
I am really upset by a call I received this morning and need to share it with you to get it off my mind. The phone rang quite early 7.15am and it was a man asking about waxing and how much it would cost, I asked the usual questions what he wanted waxing, had he been waxed before. He was a bit vague and maybe I should have been wary, especially as the call was so early, then he asked if he paid extra could I finish with my hand. I was shocked and said absolutly not and he put the phone down. I am upset as my husband was wary of me having male clients and a call like this confirms his worry. Is there any thing I can do to attract the genuine clients?

Many Thanks
Suzanne

Yuk that is horrible. I've had a guy phoning me a few times, asking do I do massage, when my website states I don't, he's tried his luck a few times and each time I said no. I'd put his number in your phone and store it, in case he rings again then you don't have to answer. Hope this helps. Take no notice there are lots of weirdos out there!!

Unfortunately, there's not a lot we can do as therapist to discourage this kind of behaviour, all we can do is make ourselves as safe as possible by setting the boundaries of what we will and won't do as politely and firmly as possible, and ensuring our safety when alone with male clients.

Don't let this pervert fluster you hun, HE hung up on YOU, showing that he knows what he was asking for was out of order. We all come across them at some point, it's how you deal with it that matters, and you did great.

Everyone has dodgy calls, it comes with the territory - if you haven't had then yet I can garauntee you will. I've had them from *both* men and women! All too often the assumption is made that all men are sexual preditors, we aren't! So just because you've had one call don't mark everyman who calls suspect, and don't cut your potential market in half by banning all male clients.

A few things that I suggest can be done to help in these situations. Firstly if its your landline he called have a phone with Caller ID Display on it and an answerphone. If its a witheld number don't answer it, let the machine screen it. If its a genuine call you can pick it up or call back. Anyone genuinely interested in a treatment won't withold their number, or if they do (say calling form an office phone where the number is witheld) they will happily leave a number to call back on.

As soon as you suspect a call being dodgy ask them to call back as your busy / a client has just turned up. If they do call back and wish to make an appointment make the appointment for 2 - 3 days away and take a number to call back to confirm the appointment the day before / a few hours before. If they ask why you need their number explain it is just incase you need to let them know of a delay if your running late or for some reason you may have to cancel.

I now tend to use my mobile to take my calls, its easier to manage and as I'm often away from the office means I am easier to get hold of. I have a little system for storing my client numbers. All client names start with a z (they are then all at the end of my contact list) and I know they are clients. Then depending on what happened they have a code after the name.

DNA - Did Not Arrive
YUK - Don't accept appointments from this person
PRE - Must pre-pay for appointment
ENQ - Made enquiry, not booked

Anyone is marked with a DNA must be able to confirm the reason for not arriving or cancelling, and I usually (not always) require pre-payment for further appointments. YUK and PRE are fairly self-explanatory. ENQ is just a useful one for reference, I can get an idea of how many calls I'm getting and how many are converting to appointments.

Mat

You should have said "Yeah, I'll finish with my hand all right.............when I knock you out".

I had a 'male caller' years and years ago when I was selling a silver cross pram in a local paper...he asked me to decribe the pram to him...which I did, 3 times...and at the end he thanked me and told me I was the best.....

It took about 15 minutes after I had put the phone down to register ( I was young and reallyyyyy naive ) what he had meant....suddenly his erratic breathing and purring voice made sense...:lol:

I burst into tears and felt so stupid...but then everyone who I told thought it was hilarious that he had got his 'pleasure' from a Silver Cross Pram advert!!!!
I suppose massages...waxing... are going to attract the male callers like a moth to a flame...there are some stupid men out there...but then there are the genuine ones who want a genuine treatment!!!! How do you filter the callers..? I doubt you can...
I guess there will always be the 'flashing Mac Brigade' and I think you have to expect it...be aware of it...and make sure you have a really good reply at hand to deflate their ego....and don't answer the phone at 7.15am...:green:

which, totally unrelated but was good for a reply, reminds me of a phone call my Grandma had.... as it happened it was a day when the whole family had gone round for tea...she was on the ball my Grandma and as soon as she realised what kind of call it was she put him on speakerphone.... well after a while he went on to describe how he was gonna pull out all her ....<cough> hair.... so she politely said ' Lovey you can try...but it will be a hard task as I lost them all in my 60's '.... our hysterical laughter soon put him off and he put the phone down...:lol:

Everyone has dodgy calls, it comes with the territory - if you haven't had then yet I can garauntee you will. I've had them from *both* men and women! All too often the assumption is made that all men are sexual preditors, we aren't! So just because you've had one call don't mark everyman who calls suspect, and don't cut your potential market in half by banning all male clients.

A few things that I suggest can be done to help in these situations. Firstly if its your landline he called have a phone with Caller ID Display on it and an answerphone. If its a witheld number don't answer it, let the machine screen it. If its a genuine call you can pick it up or call back. Anyone genuinely interested in a treatment won't withold their number, or if they do (say calling form an office phone where the number is witheld) they will happily leave a number to call back on.

As soon as you suspect a call being dodgy ask them to call back as your busy / a client has just turned up. If they do call back and wish to make an appointment make the appointment for 2 - 3 days away and take a number to call back to confirm the appointment the day before / a few hours before. If they ask why you need their number explain it is just incase you need to let them know of a delay if your running late or for some reason you may have to cancel.

I now tend to use my mobile to take my calls, its easier to manage and as I'm often away from the office means I am easier to get hold of. I have a little system for storing my client numbers. All client names start with a z (they are then all at the end of my contact list) and I know they are clients. Then depending on what happened they have a code after the name.

DNA - Did Not Arrive
YUK - Don't accept appointments from this person
PRE - Must pre-pay for appointment
ENQ - Made enquiry, not booked

Anyone is marked with a DNA must be able to confirm the reason for not arriving or cancelling, and I usually (not always) require pre-payment for further appointments. YUK and PRE are fairly self-explanatory. ENQ is just a useful one for reference, I can get an idea of how many calls I'm getting and how many are converting to appointments.

Mat

bloody nora...I have to say... fantastic...!!!!

Comes with the territory unfortuantely,but thankfully these types of calls are few and far between.If anyone is getting them regularly then I suggest it's how the therapist,salon,website or advertising is coming across.:green:

In all my years of being a therapist I have only ever had one guy text me making suggestions,I chose to ignore him once I realised that he was taking the mick,this was for my mobile business,never have we had anyone ring the salon,thankfully.He must have got my number via my car advertising or leaflets.:irked:

It's a shame that these men get us professionals(in our field:lol:) confused with massage parlours and the like.Most men are lovely,we have lots of male clients and have absolutely never had a problem with anything untoward.It's important that they aren't all tarred with the same brush as they need their treatments just the same as women.:)

:hug:Thank you all for your kind words, advise (Mat) and laughs (Brow Queen and Mercedes69) sorry the pram pervert did make me laugh. I feel much better now, I knew sharing with you guys would bring kind and helpful replies. I will try not to let it put me off male clients as the ones I already have are great!!

Many Thanks
Suzanne

You should have said "Yeah, I'll finish with my hand all right.............when I knock you out".
Bahahahahahahahaha!!! I needed that tonight thanks!:hug:

Excellent advice given already.

Firstly, that early in the morning! Alarm bells immediately!!!

I have removed my home number from all my advertising as I get calls at 1.30am usually over the weekend asking if I'm 'open for business', although also had someone call at 6.30am. The verbal I get from the husband getting woken up by these calls soon got me wiping all sites, etc of home number. he has rang them back the next day if they leave their number on the answerphone or by dialing 1471.

The best thing about having a salon is that I put that number down for everything. but often get some of these calls on my mobile.

usually starts with 'do you do massage', 'what type of massage' 'what parts of the body', then I usually suss whats happening. I tell them to ring the receptionist to make an appointment and not to expect an appointment that day. THAT usually puts them off.

One really upsetting call the receptionist got when I first started, and please be careful of this:
someone rang and asked for me by name, unable to get me they told the receptionist that I owed them money. Then said that they were going to call to pick it up. Another man came onto the phone then and started getting aggressive with her. She told him to buzz off, and luckily, didn't get another call. This happened after I had registered on a free site on the net.

Love the speaker phone idea, perhaps will use that next time I get one of those calls.

Latest posts

Back