Male facial waxing... Help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staceymackey

Reaction score
I just had a friend here for facial waxing. Started with nostrils. No problem, he was really happy. But when doing his beard I got four strips off and he stopped. Looked terrible. He would stop between each strip and hold back tears! Getting the strip was the worst part. I tried to start on smooth skin where possible but he was very hairy. Can anybody give me any tips please!! Thanks in advance

I let a friend try on me, but because the hairs are very thick and coarse it was very painful, needless to say I won't be having it done again. But have let her wax anywhere else she's wanted to do without it being as bad as the face x

My advice would be: Never wax men beard and head hair.

Hi

Do you do a lot of waxing? I would never wax a mans beard. The hair is too strong and coarse and could potentially damage the skin and lead to not only pain but infection if the skin is broken.......

And if you want more advice this should be posted in the skincare section :)

Why the hell would any man have his beard waxed! There has been numerous times I've had ingrowing facial hair and I pluck them out and they kill like a bi**h!! So having my beard done? Forget that!! Lol

Just realized posted wrong place, thanks! I'm Feeling better about it now. He had a previously bad waxing experience and was worried the whole time about getting "a rash" and "bleeding everywhere". I think nerves (and pain) won out. He is loving the strip he has there though!

Don't know why he wanted done, but I was happy to try!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can absolutely wax beard hair. It can grow back patchy though and it does hurt like hell!
For those who have it done though, they love that baby smooth feel.
Be sure to use non-strip wax though.

I did have my face waxed once (about 12 years ago, eep), but then I switched to electrolysis ;)

Having my face waxed did hurt rather a lot though - and my skin was very red afterwards.

I wax a lot of beards but mainly necks (up to the jaw line).

Use only hot wax (never strip wax). Start from the bottom and apply hot wax from the Adam's Apple (middle), outwards up towards the ear. Let it really set as the hair is very coarse. When set, remove quickly and immediately rub with your gloved hand. There may be some bleeding as the follicles are so big but that's nothing. I always wipe with a pad and cleanser and throw it in the bin without them seeing as they'll freak out. If you apply strips about the width of your spatula, it's less traumatic for them.

So basically, follow the direction of hair growth and stretch the skin when you apply and when you remove.

Be methodical working from the bottom upwards. xx

Thanks everyone for your replies. I bet to didn't hop around like he did Ruth!

I had a hunch ppl were doing it angelina!! Is there no hair ppl won't wax?:)

Thanks for the instructions Kim. I tried to tackle it as though "it's just more hair, think of basics", but as soon as he saw the blood spotting (he was holding a mirror) he got really agitated and it threw me. I want to try again but will have to find myself another vict... Volunteer. This time with more confidence, your instructions and no mirror!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I bet to didn't hop around like he did Ruth!

I had a hunch ppl were doing it angelina!! Is there no hair ppl won't wax?:)

Thanks for the instructions Kim. I tried to tackle it as though "it's just more hair, think of basics", but as soon as he saw the blood spotting (he was holding a mirror) he got really agitated and it threw me. I want to try again but will have to find myself another vict... Volunteer. This time with more confidence, your instructions and no mirror!
Why was he holding a mirror? (tut tut).:lol: Seriously………YOU are the expert, not your client and you should never let them see what you're doing and you should never ask them to check. That's what they're paying you for. Also, they will make you doubt yourself. Be a pro and show them what you're made of. xx

I do several guys beards, as Kim said only use new style non-strip ... necer strip or old old style hot wax.

I also find it better to work in small areas to make it more bearable, and also in a pattern that allows you to stop part way through without it looking too weird.

Mat

I do several guys beards, as Kim said only use new style non-strip ... necer strip or old old style hot wax.

I also find it better to work in small areas to make it more bearable, and also in a pattern that allows you to stop part way through without it looking too weird.

Mat

What's new style non-strip? I just thought non-strip was hot wax, a bit confused now lol can you give me some examples please :)

Yes the mirror has got to go! I am using berodins blue. He has told me he wants to try again... But has given me several suggestions (having no waxing knowledge), such as use lots of oil near the end so the strip doesn't stick lol *sigh*. Would love a second try though.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited:
What's new style non-strip? I just thought non-strip was hot wax, a bit confused now lol can you give me some examples please :)

It'll be the super-duper "warm wax" with elastomers... Perron Rigot being the company who first introduced it, although Berins and other brands offer their own versions now too. It's in a different league to the "old fashioned" hot wax in my opinion - it's much cooler when applied to the skin, and you don't have to do all that "figure of 8" malarkey.

Check out the Perron Rigot stand next time you go to a beauty show and have a play; you'll also have a chance to meet some of the best waxing gurus in the business :)

Latest posts

Back