male facial

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristie8015

Reaction score
Hi could anyone help me please as Im doing my nvq level 2 and need to design a male facial , what would I do for a male facial? Thank you very much.

Hi could anyone help me please as Im doing my nvq level 2 and need to design a male facial , what would I do for a male facial? Thank you very much.
As a males skin is thicker than a females it would be beneficial to use a range exclusively for a male.Also you wouldn't want anything too feminine smelling,so a range for men would be better.

I wouldn't use any cotton wool on the face either as this can get matted up in their stubble.HTH

Hi Kristie,

Here's a few suggestions from a thread I posted on another board a few months back - it's based on a treatment I offer at my men's salon. The back cleanse and masque makes it a bit more fancy than a basic facial, but you can easily omit this part if needed.

Combination Back and Face Treatment

Allow 45 - 60 minutes
  1. With client lying facing down, cleanse back and shoulders with a water-based foaming cleanser, followed by an exfoliating scrub
  2. Massage back, neck and shoulders - remove oil with a hot towel, warm mitts or sponges before proceeding to next step
  3. Apply clay-based masque to back, cover with parathermic foil or plastic wrap to protect couch, then turn the client over so he is lying face-up
  4. Optional: apply a hot towel to the face for 2-3 minutes to pre-warm the skin
  5. Cleanse and scrub face
  6. Face, neck and shoulder massage
  7. Apply appropriate face masque and perform scalp, hand or foot massage whilst it gets to work
  8. Remove face masque and apply moisturiser and eye cream. Sit client up to remove masque from back, then wipe residue from the skin, and spritz with toner or an alcohol-free aftershave to finish
You can, of course, incorporate steaming, extractions, mechanical brushes etc as you normally would, but this all adds to the timing.

Quick tips for male facial treatments:
  • Male skin is typically thicker and the sebaceous glands are more active, but this doesn't mean that all men will have oily skin and blocked pores :D Admittedly many of us fellas are latecomers to the skincare game and have probably not taken as much care of our faces as we should have over the years, but men still suffer with the same skin issues as women - use appropriate products for skin type and condition, as you would with any other client.
  • The beard area is often a trouble spot for male clients due to shaving - check how often they shave and whether they experience problems during your consultation, as this will affect your treatment. A soothing masque for this area rather than a deep cleansing clay product is advisable if they experience irritation.
  • Foaming water-based cleansers (rather than creams or milks) are popular with chaps, but work with what you have. Fragrance-free or masculine scented products are ideal, although gender-neutral scents such as citrus, oceanic or green fragrances also work well.
  • Remove all product from the forehead down, working in the direction of hair growth around the beard area - this will be easier for you and more comfortable for your client.
  • Your massage routine should have the emphasis on the downward strokes, again going in the direction of beard growth.
  • Use sponges, hot towels or mitts to remove product, not cotton wool pads as these get caught in stubble.
  • Don't apply a clay masque over facial hair of any significant length, but it's fine to cleanse and scrub over a tidy beard.
  • Finally, homecare is just as important with male clients as female, but don't bamboozle him with lots of choices (especially if he is new to the whole skincare shebang!) - recommend key products and explain as succintly as possible what each one will do for his skin and how to use it (don't get weighed down with ingredients unless he asks). Remember that us men are practical creatures - we like solutions to problems, so think in these terms when selling homecare to chaps.
Hope that helps (sorry for the long post) - let us know how you get on!

Andy x

wow andy thank you so much for that, i am about to rent a room in a busy gym and hoping men will be my main market so that was really usefull, can i ask how much you would charge for that treatment

lynda xoxo

wow andy thank you so much for that, i am about to rent a room in a busy gym and hoping men will be my main market so that was really usefull, can i ask how much you would charge for that treatment

lynda xoxo

You're welcome Lynda! :D

My combined back and face treatment is actually a bit longer than the one above (although the basic routine is the same) - I charge £54 for 90mins, but the price you charge needs to reflect your cost/time and local pricing trends.

Good luck with your gym venture, you have a captive male audience there (feel free to PM if I can help further) :)

Andy x

Combination Back and Face Treatment

Allow 45 - 60 minutes
  1. With client lying facing down, cleanse back and shoulders with a water-based foaming cleanser, followed by an exfoliating scrub
  2. Massage back, neck and shoulders - remove oil with a hot towel, warm mitts or sponges before proceeding to next step
  3. Apply clay-based masque to back, cover with parathermic foil or plastic wrap to protect couch, then turn the client over so he is lying face-up
  4. Optional: apply a hot towel to the face for 2-3 minutes to pre-warm the skin
  5. Cleanse and scrub face
  6. Face, neck and shoulder massage
  7. Apply appropriate face masque and perform scalp, hand or foot massage whilst it gets to work
  8. Remove face masque and apply moisturiser and eye cream. Sit client up to remove masque from back, then wipe residue from the skin, and spritz with toner or an alcohol-free aftershave to finish

Fantastic! I am loving this routine. Thanks I will try this on my male clients as a deluxe facial. :hug: :hug:

This might sound like a stupid question, but what do you do if the client has quite a dense beard growth. Do you apply products e.g. a mask, over the bearded area?

This might sound like a stupid question, but what do you do if the client has quite a dense beard growth. Do you apply products e.g. a mask, over the bearded area?

It's not a stupid question at all :hug:

It would be a waste of product to apply masks over a heavy beard, as it'll just sit on the hair (plus anything that dries will be a royal pain in the butt to remove!). You can still cleanse over a tidy beard, and if it's trimmed short enough you can exfoliate too, although the little scrubbie particles can be tricky to remove from facial hair.

If doing a face massage over a heavy beard I would ask your client whether he wants oils or a dry massage over the hair, and if he wants oil it's a good idea to check whether he wants it washed out afterwards (the oil will be lovely and conditioning for the beard and is sometimes best left in and rinsed out by the client at home). Alternatively you could use a light lotion as your massage medium.

:) Andy x

Thanks for that Andy. :hug:

The client is actually my brother. He's got quite a substantial beard,thick but not very long. I normally avoid the area with mask, and do use oil to massage. Just wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing. :lol:

I love the sound of the combination back and facial - excellent idea. You are a mine of information!:green:

Thank you very much for all your help

Brilliant post Andy,:)

XX J XX

As always Andy - Amazing!!!:hug:

Thanks for that it will also help me immenselyxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back