Male shaving help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northerner1972

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post on the forum and I am hoping someone can help me regarding my shaving problem.

As Ive got older my skin has gradually become more sensitive when shaving. I have tried numerous electric shavers (rotary and foil) and they all irritate my skin to varying degrees. I get a slightly better shave with sensitive foam and sensitive razor but I get a lot of red shaving rash around my throat. With both shaving options I find I get ingrowing hairs and often a spot or boil appears.

I have seen doctors about my skin and after trying various creams and tablets - none of which had any effect, I gave up on this method.

I hate not shaving as my other problem is that I tend to have quite a feminine side which I prefer. Sorry if that makes me sound strange but if I wear a feminine fragrance and often have slightly feminine eyebrows then an unshaven spotty/lumpy skin doesn't quite mix.

Can anyone on here help me please?

Many thanks in advance.

How long dose the rash last if you don't mind me asking? And also are you shaving with or against the hair growth ?

Thanks for replying.

The rash tends to last anything upto about 4 hours.

I have tried shaving with the direction of hair growth and against the direction of hair growth but not much difference in result. The only affected part is my neck/throat area. Tried using Savlon afterwards but that doesn't help and its too noticeable.

Have your tried other hair removal methods ? Sounds like you get erythema. Some people can get this after waxing threading laser removal.

Have you tried using a which hazel after shaving a a cooling lotion? maybe visit a laser clinic and try out laser.

Threading is amazing for hair removal ( but can be painful)

Argh! Tried to post something and then lost it! Will try again tomorrow...

Have your tried other hair removal methods ? Sounds like you get erythema. Some people can get this after waxing threading laser removal.

Have you tried using a which hazel after shaving a a cooling lotion? maybe visit a laser clinic and try out laser.

Threading is amazing for hair removal ( but can be painful)

Ive Googled Erythema and it looks a bit more red and blotchy than mine. If Im brave later then I might try uploading a photo.

Hadnt realised about Witch Hazel, thanks I will give it a try. Not sure if Im brave enough to try laser.

Attached is photo of my skin problem. Sorry if it looks really bad.

Attachments

• PICT0272.jpg
    PICT0272.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 111
Have you used any shaving after products?
There is one by the Shave king, I think it's called cool fix

Have you tried warming and softening the skin first with a hot wet flannel/towel? Also have you tried massaging a shave oil into the hair and skin before shaving? It can provide some slip to the skin so causes less aggravation. Keep us updated!

Many thanks everyone for replies so far, much appreciated.

This morning I have tried the Witch Hazel idea and my skin does feel a little less irritated but I will see how it goes before I try another of the ideas posted.

Strangely enough, I did try a cooling lotion for sensitive skin to be applied after shaving about a month ago. It just made my skin even worse!

p.s Juleslondon, I tried the wet towel option also this morning.

Applying roll on deodrant after is.supposed to help

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Many thanks everyone for replies so far, much appreciated.

This morning I have tried the Witch Hazel idea and my skin does feel a little less irritated but I will see how it goes before I try another of the ideas posted.

Strangely enough, I did try a cooling lotion for sensitive skin to be applied after shaving about a month ago. It just made my skin even worse!

p.s Juleslondon, I tried the wet towel option also this morning.

How did that go? Was it nice and hot (like you would get when you were going for a proper cut throat razor shave)?

Definitely have a go with the oil! It's what us beauty girls do before waxing as well and really does protect the skin x

How did that go? Was it nice and hot (like you would get when you were going for a proper cut throat razor shave)?

Definitely have a go with the oil! It's what us beauty girls do before waxing as well and really does protect the skin x

Yes, the wet towel felt really warm and soothing. Im going to give the oil a try at some point now thanks. Anything that helps is good enough for me as when the rash is really bad - much worse than the photo then it makes me feel really unclean and self-conscious. An unshaven look doesn't suit me either.

My hubby swears by MURAD cleansing shave. It retails at around £25 but you can usually buy it cheaper online. It lasts for 10 months with daily use so it isn't too expensive.

Hubby has sensitive rash-ey prone skin and issues with ingrowing hairs etc. We have tried lots of other products.

I would recommend a technical facial using light therapy (photon therapy). It's amazing what different frequencies of light can do and it doesn't irritate sensitive skin.

If that doesn't work you could consider a single IPL treatment (for skin rejuvenation/hair removal) which will reduce the amount of hair, make it slightly finer and also help the skin to rejuvenate. You have some thickened, pigmented skin areas which make it difficult for the hairs to emerge. One or two IPL sessions will calm everything down but shouldn't leave you with odd balding patches.

There are lots of places which can help with ipl, but some machines are a bit more ouchy than others for male facial hair, so ask whether the therapist has experience with this area. If you can get to Bath pm me and I'll let you have our details.

My husband is very old fashioned and uses a BIC2 disposable he then raids my shelf and uses my Monsia day moisturizing cream which incidentally also has SPF15 so he is set for the day tending our vines if the sun shines. Some nights he will also dip into my night cream. Maybe you should try using a moisturizer as suggested by other posters above?

Agree with JulesLondon's post below - that's why MH uses disposables.

Last edited:
Also ensuring you're using a clean sharp razor

My hubby swears by MURAD cleansing shave. It retails at around £25 but you can usually buy it cheaper online. It lasts for 10 months with daily use so it isn't too expensive.

Hubby has sensitive rash-ey prone skin and issues with ingrowing hairs etc. We have tried lots of other products.

I would recommend a technical facial using light therapy (photon therapy). It's amazing what different frequencies of light can do and it doesn't irritate sensitive skin.

If that doesn't work you could consider a single IPL treatment (for skin rejuvenation/hair removal) which will reduce the amount of hair, make it slightly finer and also help the skin to rejuvenate. You have some thickened, pigmented skin areas which make it difficult for the hairs to emerge. One or two IPL sessions will calm everything down but shouldn't leave you with odd balding patches.

There are lots of places which can help with ipl, but some machines are a bit more ouchy than others for male facial hair, so ask whether the therapist has experience with this area. If you can get to Bath pm me and I'll let you have our details.

Thank you for your reply.

I have been using the Witch Hazel for quite a few days now and it has helped quite a bit until yesterday when the rash seemed more prominent again.

Murad sounds out of my price range Im afraid. Im anxious about spending a lot in case it makes my problem worse. I don't think Im brave enough for IPL either!

I will put the facial option on my list of things to try though. Doesn't sound so anxiety-provoking to me.

My husband is very old fashioned and uses a BIC2 disposable he then raids my shelf and uses my Monsia day moisturizing cream which incidentally also has SPF15 so he is set for the day tending our vines if the sun shines. Some nights he will also dip into my night cream. Maybe you should try using a moisturizer as suggested by other posters above?

I gave up on Bic (except pens!) after trying their razors. Sensitive Bics have very little sharpness and makes my rash worse.

Would I be best using a 'female' moisturiser rather than a 'male' one? Im probably wrong here but I thought the male ones might be more suited to tough male skin whereas I probably need something light and delicate maybe? Plus the male ones would probably be too 'male fragranced' which I don't like.

Also ensuring you're using a clean sharp razor

Ah yes I can claim that I am careful to use clean sharp razors. It took me a long time to realise that!

I will continue with the Witch Hazel just a few days now and then try shave oil and moisturiser I think. Might post a photo of how the rash is looking at some point too.

Ok, finally getting round to post again!

I do cut throat shaves and use The Shave Doctor products. I have a lot of gents coming in with the same problem who have noticed a improvement after using the Facial Scrub Wash, Shave Creme and Moisturazor. The products have a fresh smell so suit both guys and girls.

Where are you based? It might be worth finding a therapist in your area to have a look and maybe get a shave with..?

Latest posts

Back