Male wanting naked spray tan, what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have a male client who have been tanning for about a month now, and he makes me extremely uncomfortable (I do not get uncomfortable easy). So the first time he text me for a tan I explained he would have to wear boxers/briefs etc because it is against policy to go nude. He seemed upset that he would have to wear something as he didn't want tan lines. I provided him with a disposable paper thong and explained he had to be covered, he put the thong on but had his penis exposed out the side! He also insisted that I pull the thong out text so I could hit every part of his body. Whatever I didn't say anything about it, he comes the next week and same thing, this last time he came his penis was fully exposed no coverage what so ever, and half way through the tan he got a hard on. When I was finished the tanned I explained I would leave the room so he could get dressed, I wasn't even finished what I was saying and he had the thong off exposing everything! What would you do in this situation. This man is over 50 has a wife and kids seems like an alright person but he makes me really uncomfortable.

Breeze 1989 - no one has the right to make you feel like this, it's not acceptable. You have a policy which he ignores. It's disrespectful and quite frankly unpleasant. Get rid of him you deserve more from your clients x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spray naked men and women. I don't have a problem with it at all. I am salon based though.
I have never had any problems with men at all and about 30% of my clients are men.
I get the odd strange call sometimes enquiring about intimate male waxing but believe me, these clients are never going to actually turn up for an appointment.
If you feel uncomfortable at all then you can just say no!

Angelina - do you work in the salon on your own?

I don't think I'd really mind whether a customer was naked or not

but when its a new male customer I would feel a bit on edge if I were working in the salon on my own and doing a naked tan

in the past I had a situation with a new customer in the salon that has left me very wary of leaving myself too vulnerable

I have lots of men who come for massages eyebrow waxes etc that I know and are amazing and love having them in the salon

Pardon me for jumping in here but I felt compelled since I am a male and get airbrush tans in the nude regularly and have never had problems. What disturbs me is the types of assumptions people often somehow and strangely feel compelled to make when it's a guy who is requesting to airbrush tan in the nude. The motives are immediately questioned and he is "guilty until proven innocent" of being some sort of creep with ulterior motives and particularly if the Tanning Technician is female (opposite gender). My questions is, why?

I am a avid Triathlete and also a fair complected red head. Keeping a skin tone other than "sheet white" is somehow important to me and especially when I'm out in front of 100's and sometimes thousands of people training here in Chicago and at large racing events, etc. So far, ALL of my Tanning Technicians have been females and not by my choosing because that is irrelevant. They just happen to all be females. I have never had any one of them express a concern about my preference to get full body coverage (if I am paying for it, I'm going to get my money's worth). Every female Tanning Tech. (both young and old) has been very respectful, professional, discrete and has made me feel completely safe and at ease. Perhaps that is in large part due to the fact that I clearly and equally reciprocate during the sessions and I really have no sort of "creepy motives" at all whatsoever and maybe they apparently sense that intuitively. I just simply feel very comfortable and confident in my own skin.

But I have even been careful enough to inquire over the phone prior to first session at a new salon, "Just to be respectful and not assume, I prefer airbrushing nude simply to avoid tan lines and get my money's worth. Is that cool there at your salon?" I have never had a single salon turn me away. Again, the sessions have all been very mutually respectful, professional and discrete and even accompanied by casual conversation to further keep things at ease.

By now, many of the female Tanning Techs know me as a regular, trust me completely and there is therefore NO apprehension on either side.

Give guys a break!

Stop all of the "sexual overtones and assumptions!" I can tell you that it's certainly not on my mind when I go in for nude airbrushing and it certainly and at least doesn't seem to be on the minds of the women who do my airbrushing. I am NOT there in order to get some sort of dysfunctional or mentally ill cheap thrill out of being naked. I am really am just simply there to get a very high quality, sun-free, total body tan and nothing more. I show complete and total discretion and polite respect toward them and they reciprocate that beautifully and professionally. I am a customer, they provide a service......it's just business. lol

However, if it just makes you as a Tanning Tech feel uncomfortable and you just don't prefer working with a customer who is "un-clad," you have to do your work within your honest comfort level just the customer must be at theirs. It's just like massage therapy, basically (something else I do weekly and in the nude as well). Many private, self-employed female massage therapists are comfortable with foregoing draping if I very discretely, politely and respectfully inquire and request with assured trust and confidentiality and especially during hot Summer months when draping is just quite honestly NOT comfortable at all. As long as I conduct myself appropriately like a complete gentleman on the table and demonstrate that my motives for not preferring draping is simply and only because it is hot and humid and that draping is therefore not comfortable, then many female massage therapists are fine with that.......the same with airbrush tanning.

When I'm truly, completely and respectfully at ease with no shady angles, they are free to feel safe and at ease as well. And after repeat business, mutual trust and credibility strengthens.

[posts merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
These posts are all from 2 years ago..

These posts are all from 2 years ago..

So? Doesn't mean I still don't have a valid point, concern and opinion worth taking to heart. ;-)

Not really.
You're not a Tanning Professional and this forum is for Tanning Professionals to discuss issues related to their business.

It's not a forum open to clients to join in the discussion and offer their personal anecdotes or opinions.

Presumably, you wouldn't barge in to interrupt two therapists discussing a similar topic if they were in their private staff room? This is the online version of the staff (break) room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back