Male waxing client - nervous or another agenda?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misslady

Reaction score
So I had a client this morning for a finger and nostril wax. He was very quick to point out on texting me that he was male which didn't bother me. He asked me to call or text him when I arrived - I thought it was a bit strange but thought nothing more. When I entered his house he said that he has nosey neighbours and didn't want to stay in the living room. I did try to say to him a few times that I didn't think his neighbours would see anything through the net curtains but he said he really didn't feel comfortable and wanted to go upstairs - I didn't want to make a deal of it so said that was fine. Throughout the treatment he was absolutely fine, no insinuations or anything bar saying 'nothing bad would happen to you here so don't worry' (we were discussing all the tragedies recently in the world). Then towards the end he wanted to tell me all about his girl troubles and asked me what I thought. I winged it a bit with lots of hmmm's and okay's. Then he asked if I would be able to do a male Hollywood and I told him I am not insured for those treatments and I left it at that. He's since texted and said 'thank you for the beyond perfection waxing, love it! Looking forward to see you again, have a marvellous day.'

Now I just want to check with you all - was he just a bit nervous? Or do you think he might have had other ideas at the beginning and realised that I wasn't game?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

How long is a piece of string....you are asking people to assume what happened. All i'd say is he asked you a question on intimate waxing, you answered, he paid and you left....if you didn't like it...don't offer the male waxing service.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Okay wow thanks. I am not asking about the intimate part at all. I am asking whether it's likely that he may have had another agenda with the whole upstairs thing and the text afterwards. It's only after certain situations that things can be assessed and I am asking if anyone else feels it's weird - not whether I liked providing the service. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered asking.

Hi there, I would say if you don't feel 100% happy don't take the booking. Trust your instinct, it may be totally innocent or not x

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it's always so hard to tell. My husband has a really good female friend and I find her texts a little flirty. We often say things in texts that we would never say to peoples faces and has had been said on here before, you can't read the tone of a text or indeed of a geeks post.

I think you can only be guided by gut feeling. Is your gut saying dodgy or not? I never did men mobile as I never wanted to be in a situation that could be misconstrued, and I found it easier to just say I only did female clients. Now we're in a salon, and we do male clients as it is completely different.

That probably hasn't helped at all, but what is your feeling!!!
Vicki x

How long is a piece of string....you are asking people to assume what happened. All i'd say is he asked you a question on intimate waxing, you answered, he paid and you left....if you didn't like it...don't offer the male waxing service.

Well that was a bit harsh and unhelpful.

I too would have felt uncomfortable in that position but I don't suppose there's anyway to tell what his real intentions were and he could have just been nervous (I do think men find it awkward to deal with the 'female' world of beauty).

If he did contact you to go back, you could say it needs to be downstairs because the lighting's better or something like that?

I wouldn't strike him off just yet though - he could become an innocent loyal customer :)

I really don't know! Once the treatment was underway I felt comfortable. It's just after piecing it all together it looks a bit strange. I just wondered what anyone who treats men mobile thought. Thanks for your advice. I am happy to treat him again, but will be on my guard and assess from there. X

Well that was a bit harsh and unhelpful.

I too would have felt uncomfortable in that position but I don't suppose there's anyway to tell what his real intentions were and he could have just been nervous (I do think men find it awkward to deal with the 'female' world of beauty).

If he did contact you to go back, you could say it needs to be downstairs because the lighting's better or something like that?

I wouldn't strike him off just yet though - he could become an innocent loyal customer :)

What exactly is harsh about it? You've just stated......., "I don't suppose there's any way to tell what his real intentions were" .....this is the same as me saying ' you are asking people to assume" .....it's your perception that is unhelpful...not my reply.

I dont really know I think it just depends on how you felt .. his body language.. the way he said things etc .. I think if your gut instinct said he was acting qbit dodgy then dont book him in again but in my opinion mabey it was just nerves as you said he sort of made a point that he was a man when he booked? So mabey felt awkard ? And could of sent you the text to say thankyou and to sort of clear the awkwardness? I dont know tho because obviously I wasnt there .. I would say tho if I did mobile (which I dont so bare in mind I probly dont kno what im talking about as I work in a salon) and I did a male client.. if they asked me to go upstairs I would feel very uncomfortable but mabey he genuinley felt uncomfortable downstairs as sometimes men can be abit sensative about beauty treatments xx

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I thought it sounded a little odd he wanted you to go upstairs, why didn't he say shut the curtains so the neighbours can't see in?
I personally would of felt uncomfortable x

What exactly is harsh about it? You've just stated......., "I don't suppose there's any way to tell what his real intentions were" .....this is the same as me saying ' you are asking people to assume" .....it's your perception that is unhelpful...not my reply.

I am not asking for any assumptions. I stated the facts and asked for thoughts. If that was the case a lot of questions on here would be unanswered. But thank you for your contribution.

I thought it sounded a little odd he wanted you to go upstairs, why didn't he say shut the curtains so the neighbours can't see in?
I personally would of felt uncomfortable x

Thank you. Now I could kick myself for not thinking that! Something so simple and I never thought to say that! X

Nobody know's why he asked to do the treatment upstairs but it could have been many reasons both innocent & not.

For example:

He may live with his wife/partner/girlfriend/mother and they may be a real stickler for cleanliness (OCD or something) and the thought of possibly messing up her front room was too much for him so he asked you to treat him in his room where mess wouldn't be such an issue to said person.

He may live with other people (a house share/brother/sister etc..) who might walk in while the treatment was happening so he preferred the privacy of his own room.

He may have had other ideas and then thought better of it.

He may have had a messy front room & not want you to see it.

He may have nosy neighbours who make him uncomfortable in the front room so he spends most of his time upstairs.

There really is no way for any of us to guess what this guy was up to if he was up to anything at all. Sorry.

How did you get this booking, was it through a recommended client or just out of the blue/advertising somewhere? Was this your first visit and did you take any precautions and by that I mean let any one know of your whereabouts? Sorry if I'm sounding like a clucking mother hen, but is it normal to book for a nose & finger wax?

How did you get this booking, was it through a recommended client or just out of the blue/advertising somewhere? Was this your first visit and did you take any precautions and by that I mean let any one know of your whereabouts? Sorry if I'm sounding like a clucking mother hen, but is it normal to book for a nose & finger wax?

The booking came from him finding my website. It was my first visit and my husband knew where I was and approximately how long I should take. He said that he has lots of waxing done in Paris as he's back and forth but his therapist out there said she would never wax his fingers again (!) as she found it very difficult to do, he also said he didn't want the whole hand done as he thought it might look strange as he has very hairy arms. I didn't think it was normal but his reasons sounded genuine and the hairs I did wax were very long. X

Thanks for offering examples baggybear. I never thought of anything like that. X

The booking came from him finding my website. It was my first visit and my husband knew where I was and approximately how long I should take. He said that he has lots of waxing done in Paris as he's back and forth but his therapist out there said she would never wax his fingers again (!) as she found it very difficult to do, he also said he didn't want the whole hand done as he thought it might look strange as he has very hairy arms. I didn't think it was normal but his reasons sounded genuine and the hairs I did wax were very long. X

That does sound pretty genuine then. I know that it's possibly unfair to think the worst in such situations but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm a true believer in gut instinct and if this is causing you concerns then you must not dismiss them.

I would also add that only you yourself knows how confident you are with dealing with a situation should anything occur, so that should also be taken into account.

Okay wow thanks. I am not asking about the intimate part at all. I am asking whether it's likely that he may have had another agenda with the whole upstairs thing and the text afterwards. It's only after certain situations that things can be assessed and I am asking if anyone else feels it's weird - not whether I liked providing the service. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered asking.

Your responses on numerous threads is harsh & uncalled for. If you cant give anything positive back to the OP & be helpful just dont reply. We dont need negitivity around us!! No one is perfect, even you & we all need reassurance & help sometimes. If people questions frustrate you, dont come on here! :mad:

Latest posts

Back