Manager wanting a word?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leely

Reaction score
I have started in a sunbed salon this week. Offering beauty treatments. From nails, threading and massage and I have an eyelash extension course booked next month too.
I have not long re-trained in Acrylic as I felt my first training was not enough and it left me hating this service so thought it would make business sense to re-train so I could offer this service. I have told the salon manager since I have passed the course this year I don't have confidence in this service and need to practise before I start to charge clients from the salon. She was adamant she was going to book this service in, so since Tuesday has it have had 3 sets booked in. 2 of which were her friends. Her first friend turned up 30 mins late for her appt, the owner then came into my room and told me to hurry up as her friend needed to be at work for 4. Half way through appt client then said she wanted gelish on top so this added to treatment time. So I started to rush and panic. Her second friend she kept coming in and talking to her and moving my stuff and made me feel in edge.
I got home from work last night and she sent me a message on Facebook to say she is unhappy with what I have done and her friends will not be coming back and really slating my work saying they were lumpy and uneven and awful. I messaged her back to say I was unhappy she had messaged me on Facebook on would have preferred her to talk to me face to face. She then carried on sending me messages saying I'll talk to you tomorrow, you need to practise. Etc etc.
I'm rather shocked and unhappy at how un-professional she has been. I am self employed so was thinking of taking this service off the treatment list till I have built my confidence back up. I can't afford to re-train again as I'm paying for eyelash extension course as well as waxing.

Advice needed please geeks :(

Leely x

For a start msg you through Facebook is very unprofessional. Explain again your weakness and your not happy doing them. Tbh id start looking elsewhere she sounds like she's gonna be a nightmare !

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Right firstly if you are self employed she is not your manager, she is a women you rent the room/space from. She should not be coming in and out of your area and most certainly should not be slating you. She also cannot dictate to you what services you do and do not provide, that is up to you, you are self employed.

I think you need to nicely but firmly reiterate all of the above to her. I cannot believe the cheekiness of her though booking clients in when you had told her you were not happy or confident yet so didn't want to offer the service. She obviously didn't listen so again id reiterate that to her and let you know that her behaviour coming in and out of your room did not help matters.

As for contacting you on facebook that's incredibly unprofessional she should have just waited until she saw you today.

I have to say I do agree with the other poster she sounds like she could be a pain in the bottom to deal with. Just be firm but nice.

Good luck honey xx

For a start msg you through Facebook is very unprofessional. Explain again your weakness and your not happy doing them. Tbh id start looking elsewhere she sounds like she's gonna be a nightmare !

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm thinking the same. She is a lot younger than me and beauty is not her professional job. She has opened the salon as a stop gap I believe, as twice this week she has been late. Which does not look good to clients.

I'm not saying younger women can't open a business and be successful I just feel as it's not her passion as it is mine she won't give it 100%

Leely x

Right firstly if you are self employed she is not your manager, she is a women you rent the room/space from. She should not be coming in and out of your area and most certainly should not be slating you. She also cannot dictate to you what services you do and do not provide, that is up to you, you are self employed.

I think you need to nicely but firmly reiterate all of the above to her. I cannot believe the cheekiness of her though booking clients in when you had told her you were not happy or confident yet so didn't want to offer the service. She obviously didn't listen so again id reiterate that to her and let you know that her behaviour coming in and out of your room did not help matters.

As for contacting you on facebook that's incredibly unprofessional she should have just waited until she saw you today.

I have to say I do agree with the other poster she sounds like she could be a pain in the bottom to deal with. Just be firm but nice.

Good luck honey xx

Thank you :)

I'll try my best to be firm, and make sure I get across as I am self employed I chose what services I offer.

Thank you for the advice :) xx

Leely x

I have started in a sunbed salon this week. Offering beauty treatments. From nails, threading and massage and I have an eyelash extension course booked next month too.
I have not long re-trained in Acrylic as I felt my first training was not enough and it left me hating this service so thought it would make business sense to re-train so I could offer this service. I have told the salon manager since I have passed the course this year I don't have confidence in this service and need to practise before I start to charge clients from the salon. She was adamant she was going to book this service in, so since Tuesday has it have had 3 sets booked in. 2 of which were her friends. Her first friend turned up 30 mins late for her appt, the owner then came into my room and told me to hurry up as her friend needed to be at work for 4. Half way through appt client then said she wanted gelish on top so this added to treatment time. So I started to rush and panic. Her second friend she kept coming in and talking to her and moving my stuff and made me feel in edge.
I got home from work last night and she sent me a message on Facebook to say she is unhappy with what I have done and her friends will not be coming back and really slating my work saying they were lumpy and uneven and awful. I messaged her back to say I was unhappy she had messaged me on Facebook on would have preferred her to talk to me face to face. She then carried on sending me messages saying I'll talk to you tomorrow, you need to practise. Etc etc.
I'm rather shocked and unhappy at how un-professional she has been. I am self employed so was thinking of taking this service off the treatment list till I have built my confidence back up. I can't afford to re-train again as I'm paying for eyelash extension course as well as waxing.

Advice needed please geeks :(

Leely x

I would be surprised if she has any experience of nails herself.

To create conditions where you are not able to perform as well as you'd like and then to have a go at you thereafter is massively tactless and unreasonable, especially seeing that you've told her you need more practice etc before you launch this treatment (which is perfectly reasonable).

No matter what she throws at you, you might not want to rent a room from someone like this anyway. Bear that in mind when she's giving it all mouth.

I would be surprised if she has any experience of nails herself.

To create conditions where you are not able to perform as well as you'd like and then to have a go at you thereafter is massively tactless and unreasonable, especially seeing that you've told her you need more practice etc before you launch this treatment (which is perfectly reasonable).

No matter what she throws at you, you might not want to rent a room from someone like this anyway. Bear that in mind when she's giving it all mouth.

She has no experience what so ever. She has no beauty experience either. x

Leely x

Aww I feel for you.

Firstly, do what you want to. If you want to remove the service, do so. She can not make you, as long as she gets her rent per week what difference does it make! Can you take your own appointments so she cant book them in?

Tell her her friend was late, then had to leave at x time & wanted gelish on top... You are not a miracle worker.

Xx

I'd get out as soon as you can! That salon won't last long at all if that is how she runs things x

Agree with the posters, very unprofessional! I would nip it in the bud asap otherwise she will continue this kind of behaviour, be nice but dont let her try and walk over you Good Luck

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Totally agree with the other responses. This woman isn't your manager she is your landlord. You are running your own business from her premises and your only obligations are to provide a professional service and to stick to your contract. Personally, I would get some price lists re printed with all of your services and prices and let her know that you are unable to accept bookings for other services unless you add them to your service menu yourself. That was an incredibly unprofessional stunt to pull on you don't let her 'have a word' with you about this, stand up do your business and yourself!

Good luck x

Hmm 'manager wanting a word' you are self employed shes not your manager and can't tell you what to do.
I'd be wanting a word with her but think it will fall on deaf ears :-( jump ship!! Find another place to rent a.s.a.p sorry but can't see things getting any better. Good luck!

Nope she is not my manager but manager of the tanning salon.

I have told her how unhappy and how unprofessional it was for her to send me a message through facebook. She agreed and told me she had only done this as she thought i would be driving home, as i live 20 miles from the salon. I said she should have waited till i was in the next day to speak to me face to face and she agreed.
I have taken acrylic nails off the treatments list and said only when i am ready will these go back on the treatment list.
She offered to book me appointments when i started as i have been giving out the shops number to contact me.
There is a lock on the door, so i will lock this every time i have a treatment. I have asked her to not walk in when i am in the middle of a treatment as it is very unprofessional and put's me off.
She knew she was in the wrong with regard to her friend, as she was 30 mins late and i felt rushed.

After speaking to my husband over this weekend i have agreed i will cut down my days from 5 to 4, As the childminding fees are more than i have made in a week and plus its a 20 mile drive there and back. I will keep my eyes and ears open for a salon closer to me. I have only been there a week, so hoping this is just a teething problem.

I will be speaking to her business partner this week with regards to the situation, as he has commented that we are not as busy as he would like. But i have said its down to the time of year and this is normal.

Thank you for all your advice and taking the time to reply.

Leely xx

Bravo! I think she just needed putting in her place. Now she knows you won't put up with any of her cr*p you should be ok! x

Glad you got the facebook thing sorted, no need for clients to see that kind of thing it is definitely something that should be dealt with face to face (but it is not even her place to be saying she is unhappy with your work - it is the clients place to tell YOU if they are not happy).

Sounds like a good idea to remove treatments your not ready to do yet, you could think about having an introductory price for them & that will help you to get some practice in (while people pay less they should understand they are paying less because your practicing).

I will be speaking to her business partner this week with regards to the situation, as he has commented that we are not as busy as he would like. But i have said its down to the time of year and this is normal......

They are your landlord nothing more, so long as you are paying your agreed rent it is none of their business how busy you are really.
You will obviously be doing your best to get people through the door as you need to earn a living & pay the bills (rent & childcare etc..).

Glad you got the facebook thing sorted, no need for clients to see that kind of thing it is definitely something that should be dealt with face to face (but it is not even her place to be saying she is unhappy with your work - it is the clients place to tell YOU if they are not happy).

Sounds like a good idea to remove treatments your not ready to do yet, you could think about having an introductory price for them & that will help you to get some practice in (while people pay less they should understand they are paying less because your practicing).

They are your landlord nothing more, so long as you are paying your agreed rent it is none of their business how busy you are really.
You will obviously be doing your best to get people through the door as you need to earn a living & pay the bills (rent & childcare etc..).

I agree. In this respect Leely, make sure to be certain that the salon owners are not trying to treat you as an employee whilst calling you self employed because this is actually illegal.

If they are telling you what hours to work, what prices to charge and just generally what to do without paying you a wage then they are breaking the law.

I agree. In this respect Leely, make sure to be certain that the salon owners are not trying to treat you as an employee whilst calling you self employed because this is actually illegal.

If they are telling you what hours to work, what prices to charge and just generally what to do without paying you a wage then they are breaking the law.

I have chosen my hours, and my prices are the same as when I worked from home and was mobile.
They made the suggestion of increasing the prices on certain treatments as there is no one else doing these treatments. I have said I will look into this after maybe a month to see if the clients are there to increase the price.
But hours / prices are all my choice :)

When I go back tomorrow I will be letting them know I will be reducing my days as the childminder is costing a lot more than we first thought and it's more than I'm making.

Leely x

Glad to hear the hours & prices are your own choice. You don't have to tell them you are reducing your hours but if you do decide tell them you don't need to justify why (you reasons are valid but you can just decide to work less because you want to if you know what I mean so you don't have to justify your choices to the landlord).

Glad to hear the hours & prices are your own choice. You don't have to tell them you are reducing your hours but if you do decide tell them you don't need to justify why (you reasons are valid but you can just decide to work less because you want to if you know what I mean so you don't have to justify your choices to the landlord).

Totally understand. Thank you Baggybear :)

Leely x

Latest posts

Back