Manager wanting me to do treatments unqualified

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlnorris2010

Reaction score
I'm after some advice as I'm a qualified self employed nail technician of 6 years. I have recently started my nvq2 and asked a salon if I could work voluntary for them so I could gain experience in a salon environment.

Instead the manager offered me a job over the phone, and once I accepted she told me I am to start next week and I'm going to be doing eyelash and eyebrow tinting and waxing. I explained that I haven't covered either of these in my nvq2 yet and she said I could go into watch her beforehand and then perform the treatments myself even though I have never done them before in my life :-(

Being self employed I've never had to deal with a situation like this but surely this is illegal? She says I will be under the salon insurance as a trainee. But don't I still need to at least have covered that area in my training before I practise?

I am a newbie so you will still need to check this out with a qualified professional.

But from previous work experience I would say that if you have not attended a training course with a qualified trainer that it will not be covered on the insurance.

Secondly is the manager going to declare this to your clients? If i were attending for a treatment and were under the impression that someone was fully qualified and was paying the full rate this is what i would expect to recieve.
If i knew you were in training i would accept that the treatment maybe different from my expectations ... a bit like when people model for training.

I am not saying that you would not treat me well but if something goes wrong you will be liable for carrying out a therapy that you knew you were not trained to do (you don't want people to lose faith at the start bad news travels quicker than good).

This is how it work in most professions I believe the only exception would be if the manager is a qualified teacher and it comes under that type of insurance as she is providing you with the teaching opportunity.

Please correct me anyone if I am giving poor advice/ info.

But well done for you to go out there and gain voluntary experience! You should learn a lot from the right person x

Are you going to be employed and paid a wage or will you be working on a self employed basis?

If you're self employed you need your own insurance. You won't be covered by her insurance.

And if anything happens you wouldn't be covered on your own insurance. Most insurance companies state that you are insured for treatments you are suitably qualified in.

I will be working for her as an employee but also have my own insurance as I'm self employed as a Nail technician so working for her will be my second job as will only be one day a week x

When working around the eyes it is really important to be qualified. Anything can go wrong and its not worth it at all

You might be worrying unnecessarily. If the owner is qualified to teach, I don't see a problem with insurance.

If you don't feel confident after having the training, then tell her. Clients are unlikely to return if the therapist is clearly struggling so presumably she won't want to risk her business suffering?

Latest posts

Back