mani/pedi qualification/courses/etc.,

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails At The Hat Hire Company

Reaction score
sorry to bore you all again with my great debate 9with myself!) over which/what/who course for mani/pedi after my cock up with alessandro (whih by the way i finally have correct certificate - although i had to write to md did course in november 02 and got proper certificate last week!!! was getting gel nails ones which i didnt do with them, anyways got a snotty letter back about going over to 'commercial' creative instead of safe alessandro ... all because i mentioned that i need the certificate to go to my conversion day at creative!!!)
anyway have decided to redo my mani and pedi.... not that i have any problms just feel my alessandro cours was product based not factual to any bones etc although we did covfer that lightly on lcn gel...

so - digressing again!!!!

right have narrowed it down to three. iona - jackie jefford/anne swaine at milton keynes - £75.00 plus vat for each one day course called introduction to mani/ introduction to pedi doesnt say what qualification but says can lead to nvq unit 9 (whatever that means) now my problem with this is driving to the course... i get quite paranoid/scared/petrified driving somewhere like this its about an hour but i panic as not used to the roads/directions...sad but thats me...

2nd option oxford international college of beauty in witney..about 15 miles away (did my lcn gel course there) its £365.00 indepth modular diploma course 4 days.
3rd option (one detailed on this board - so checked it out) this is essex school of beauty.. its a home course and £195.00 for both with a diploma at the end... no travelling....
i cant decided...please someone help me with some words of wisdom/experience/expertise
i know im banging on about courses again but is so important to me to get the right one... had many sleepless nights over this......

Would you not be better off doing a proper college course. I've just started an NVQ level 2 in Mani/pedi costing me £180 for a 20 week course. As you say you know most of your stuff, but this should cover all the extra bits and pieces that you don't know. Also, at the end of it you will have a worthy certificate.

Adele

Hi

I agree with Adele.

I did my Man & Ped at Amersham & Wycombe College. It took 16 weeks, only cost £99 and I have a recognized qualification. You get to practice on each other to build your confidence and when it was time to be assessed the college had their own clients which you had to work on. You learn all about the skin, bones, nails etc. as well. It was fun, you meet lots of people/contacts from all walks of life whilst gaining a qualification. I then went on to do Jessica.

Hope this helps

Sam :D

....the only 'Proper' college course over a period of weeks is manicure and make up at 36 weeks...... have missed start date too....
no pedi in that and dont really want to waste time on a make up course that may never use

Thehandsanctuary said:
anyways got a snotty letter back about going over to 'commercial' creative instead of safe alessandro ... all because i mentioned that i need the certificate to go to my conversion day at creative!!!)

Really ...!!! How very unprofessional. So the oldest (25 years now anyway) and most respected nail company in the business uses unsafe products??? I've heard it ll now!

well geeg i know. i only wrote in my letter that i really need the certificate urgently to do the conversion (cos i thought i'd need it) as it was i still never got it in time anway they have obviously thought i was completely converting - which i hope to do funds allowing in the near future - but i didnt tell them that and this is their 'interesting' reply and i quote (an extract from the letter)
"now that you wish to change over to creative i suggest you ask them to take our safe products which adhere to uk cosmetics regulations and swap them for theirs.
Alessandro is still the world leader in hand and nail care. Creative only "invented" the idea of having a manicure system a few years ago. As proir to that they could think of no commercial reason to cater for natural nails. Alessandro on the other hand has always had an holistic approach to nail care. So i understand your dilema , Alessandro the best products for your clients happiness & creative because they are more "commercial"
well i wish you well "
how miffed was i what an unproffesional letter!!! i am really miffed i have a LOT of their stock man manicure/ncs manicure and hands up...if any one wants them i am gonna shift them...!!!
the letter - to me- sounds quite patronizing at the start it says... i want to confirm that the gel certificate, although technically incorrect is a full alessandro certificate. it is a shame you are frustrated by the wording!!! I mean...can you believe that

Thehandsanctuary said:
this is their 'interesting' reply and i quote (an extract from the letter)
"now that you wish to change over to creative i suggest you ask them to take our safe products which adhere to uk cosmetics regulations and swap them for theirs.
Alessandro is still the world leader in hand and nail care. Creative only "invented" the idea of having a manicure system a few years ago. As proir to that they could think of no commercial reason to cater for natural nails. Alessandro on the other hand has always had an holistic approach to nail care. So i understand your dilema , Alessandro the best products for your clients happiness & creative because they are more "commercial"
well i wish you well "

Hmm...were they a "world leader" before or after the Inland Revenue filed a compulsory winding-up order on them!!!

I just happened to look them up a while back and low and behold up popped the notice! Perhaps their approach to nail care needs to be a little more commercial!

the same thing happened to me with Alessandro. I did a manicure course with them a few years ago at their Gravesend salon. I was 'trained' by a girl who was still in training herself at college. She told me they dont pay her shes just getting work experience! I paid £50 for this and was told a certificate would be in the post. It wasnt. So I chased it up numerous times and eventually received a gel nails certificate about 2 and a half years later.

If this helps with your question on which course, i did also do a pedicure course at essential school of beauty in essex and it was ok but no detail on bones, skin, nails, foot disease etc, just the basic, would probably prefer something more in depth, so i imagine the manicure course would be pretty basic too with them. it was fairly cheap so imagine you get what you pay for with courses. get someone else to drive for you!

Could I please have a copy of that letter?
I would love to see what the legal department has to say about such "throw your toys out of the pram" statements.

what a winding up order what does that mean...oh my god can anything else go wrong in my quest to be just a normal good nail tech!!!!

does that mean they are finished

geek, can i fax it...whats the fax no:

Thehandsanctuary said:
what a winding up order what does that mean...oh my god can anything else go wrong in my quest to be just a normal good nail tech!!!!

does that mean they are finished

geek, can i fax it...whats the fax no:

Chill out Jen! The fact that they are still operating means they have cleared the debt now otherwise you would be speaking to a liquidator when you placed an order! All the same, they should be careful when making sweeping comments about other competitors in letters when they should be concentrating on getting their own house in order particularly when notices such as these are placed by insolvency practitioners in the public domain via notices on sites as well as the legal gazette and free for anyone to see!

..i see its for 2001...maybe thats why they changed name to nailworx.

Having just popped in an read this interesting subject, here;s just a thought whose the Market Leader :?: who has the most nail techs using there products :?: Plus what do we the nail tech's want to provide how customers with the best. Market useage speaks volumes...... this voice clearly is SAYING CREATIVE. Maybe other companies need to replace there green lenses....... I am happy and proud to be Creative, a few hic-ups along the way. None of gone un-solved.

Did a search to see if we have had a poll to see who is using what, would be interesting :idea:

the agencty hollyballoo told me about...interestingly the reply is that they are still exist at the moment! and he strongly advises me to get an up to date credit reference if i am trading with them!!!!!!
be warned anyone considering alessandro

For details on training courses you have got to check out the new issue of Nails - I got a quick peek at mine at lunchtime when I nipped home and there are pages and pages dedicated to the training available - it's a great table thing all detailed by company, location, courses, and costs - just what everyone was looking for methinks :D

It gives details of which courses can be used to make up NVQ elements etc. but as it was a really quick peek I didn't get tor read what else!!!

Happy reading :D

Tina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back