Manicure Advice/clients nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teresajay

Reaction score
:confused: Could someone give me some advise please. I have lady from work (my office job) who has just retired and has booked in for a creative solar manicure, she has very short, split, paper thin nails.
Can anyone reommend an ongoing treatment I can give her to strengthen them as she would like to have ongoing manicures to see if she can improve them rather than going for artificial nails. I would be very grateful for some advice as she is coming on Thursday and if anyone could recommend a good product I might be able to pick it up at Excel on Monday. Oh God Iam always asking advice on here I did not realise that after doing my manicure unit I still have so much more to learn, does anyone else fell the same as me?

teresajay said:
:confused: Could someone give me some advise please. I have lady from work (my office job) who has just retired and has booked in for a creative solar manicure, she has very short, split, paper thin nails.
Can anyone reommend an ongoing treatment I can give her to strengthen them as she would like to have ongoing manicures to see if she can improve them rather than going for artificial nails. I would be very grateful for some advice as she is coming on Thursday and if anyone could recommend a good product I might be able to pick it up at Excel on Monday. Oh God Iam always asking advice on here I did not realise that after doing my manicure unit I still have so much more to learn, does anyone else fell the same as me?
I believe that Creative do a product called Toughen Up which you could sell to her.

teresajay said:

Hi Teresa!

I would definitely get her to start using Solar Oil regularly-- atleast twice a day (if not more)-- it will penetrate and condition the nail plate to prevent 'splitting'.

Also I would recommend Solar Balm-- as it is a thickened version of Solar Oil- it will be easy for her to use throughout the day-- each application of the Solar Oil &/or Balm will drive the oils deeper and deeper....

Dont worry about feeling as if you have so much more to learn---- we all do!! Treatments/products change, procedures change... new technology causes amazing products which we all need to become familiar with....

Enjoy the learning process.... it is continuous.. on-going...

and just think- how boring it would be if we "knew it all"???!! lol

Good luck & have fun!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!:biggrin:

Toughen up is the way to go Hun,
I have had some amazing results using this........
It contains DMU (dimethyl urea)which in short, provides strength from within the nail, if it is used on a regular basis.........

It was researched and developed by Doug Schoon, M.S.
Vice President of Science & Technology Creative Nail Design

I Just copied this from his notes.............. there are a few in the articles section under Technotes.......... makes intersting reading if you are nosey like me and want to know why something works:

Toughen Up TM, contains 2% DMU. DMU is the perfect
replacement for formaldehyde. DMU has two important advantages. First and
most importantly, DMU is not a likely skin sensitizer and it won’t cause clients to develop nail polish allergies. Secondly, the 2% DMU found in Toughen Up will
not make the nails brittle. DMU is also a keratin cross-linker. One of its
advantages is that DMU allows for a more controlled, finely tuned level of crosslinking.
DMU won’t create excessive cross-linking like formaldehyde can. DMU
allows the nail plate to maintain a good balance of hardness and toughness.

In short:
It works on the cross linking theme, it provides a support structure to weak and flimsey nails............combine this with solar oil and her nails will soon be stronger and better looking................

A must have in my Salon.............
HTH

Hi Ruth, thanks for that, I have some toughen up, so do I use it as a basecaot then apply a colour on top. She does not want a dark colour as she she knows it wont look good on her nails but I think she can get away with a natural colour, what do you think. Also if she buys it herself how often should she use it?

teresajay said:
Hi Ruth, thanks for that, I have some toughen up, so do I use it as a basecaot then apply a colour on top. She does not want a dark colour as she she knows it wont look good on her nails but I think she can get away with a natural colour, what do you think. Also if she buys it herself how often should she use it?
The great thing about Toughen Up is that it can be used as a base coat or it can be used on it's own, although I tend to put a top coat on just to keep it nice and shiny.

If using under a colour:
1 coat of Toughen Up
2 coats of polish
1 coat of Top coat

If wanting to keep it natural:
2 coats of Toughen up
1 coat of Top coat

When retailing to a client, I always advise them to apply as mentioned above (depending on what finish they want), then apply 1 coat every 2/3 days for the next 7/10 days. Remove all of it with nail varnish remover then start the process again. As mentioned by another Geekette, try to retail her Solar Oil as well and get her to used it daily.

Guaranteed if she helps you by doing her bit of homecare, her nails will improve drastically.:green:

Good luck
Adele

Latest posts

Back