Manicure advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah1984

Reaction score
I am completing my manicure and pedicure assignment for college. I have done my first clients manicure today, her nails were of varied length. She didnt want the longer ones cut to match the shorter ones, so I just tiedied the shape up. Finished with a french manicure and as you can see from the pictures below, I think it looks terrible. How would you handle this situation and do you always make the nails the same length?

(I know my lines need to be sharper on the smile line)

Click to enlarge
Before
After
After

I think they look fine.

I haven't come across this situation yet but one of the girls at the salon I work at has. She advised the client that in her professional opinion it would look better to have them all the same but left the final decision to the client. I think that is all you can do. If the client complains after the treatment you can point out that your advice at the begining of the consultation

Keep a record of advice on her record card and ask her to sign if she's not taking your advise. You're always covered then. :)

Don't let it get you down, its not your fault, if you advised her and she went against it then thats obviously what she wanted.
In some situations you'll find this and if its what the clinet wants them give them it and make a note of it on your records.
If she was concerned about all her nails being too short then advise her of some home care to help the nails grow then she can some back to you again for them all the same length

At the end of the day you gave your professional advice. It is not your fault if the client doesn't follow it.

In situations like this, I usually suggest taking the length of the longer nails down to meet the short ones half way. Most clients normally are happy with this.

My mum is the same.
She's always breaking nails but will never let me take them down to the same length and she wont even let me extend them to match (the broken ones)

Thanks very much for all your replies. Taking them halfway down to meet the shorter ones sounds good and she might go for that. Thanks!

I failed my first french manicure assessment because of this, I was told that the look should be as uniform as possible. I don't think they care if that is what the client wants, they just want to see if it looks good!

perhaps you could also suggest that until her nails are relatively all the same length maybe she should try a natural/netural polish instead of having a french. That way the uneven length should be slightly less obvious than with the french.

you did a good job with what you had to work with, personaly i dont like natural nails when they are that short! give my false any day hehe :D

Thanks. I have until 3rd Jan to complete so can always do more on her. What college wont know wont hurt them. lol

Hi, I have had the same problem with most of my case studies! I only had a couple of ladies who were ok with having their nails shortened to match the rest! It is difficult - epecially when its all part of your course - I would put on your forms what you advised and what the client decided to have done - that way you can show that you at least gave the correct advice and didnt just go along with what the client wanted without saying anything!

I had to bring a client into college the other week for a manicure and pedicure - however 2 days before we were due to go in she rang and said she only wanted a pedicure as she'd bitten all the nails and didnt want the manicure. I did try to persuade her to have a manicure as it would help the products would help to heal the nails and promote growth but she was adamant that she wasnt having one. I understood her reasons and left it at that - then my tutor started pressurising her into having one! She stood her ground and refused! But then my tutor put on my assessment form that i was ill-prepared and need to ensure i have a client who wants both manicure and pedicure! - What was i supposed to do? Two days before college was not enough time to find someone else to come in to replace the client!!:sad: Also, you cant force someone to do something they dont want - and i dont believe in pressurising too much as it will just frighten the client off - all you can do is advise and try to do a little persuasion - but if that doesnt work then there not much else you can do! Its important for your client to feel happy - and doing something they dont want (even if its what they need) may not please them very much!

At the end of the day, you can advise your client, but the final decision will always be theirs.

I think, if it had been me, I would have tried encourage her to have a colour, rather than a french polish, as it wouldn't have looked so obvious.

You did what you had to hun. :hug:

Would it help to have a small portfolio of various nails, some could be of "perfectly maincured nails (that are all the same length) and some photos where the nails are various lengths. Somtimes it's easier to see the difference when they're someone elses fingers! You could also include photos of rounded, square, squoval ... nails and discuss what shape is most suitable for that client. HTH;)

Would it help to have a small portfolio of various nails, some could be of "perfectly maincured nails (that are all the same length) and some photos where the nails are various lengths. Somtimes it's easier to see the difference when they're someone elses fingers! You could also include photos of rounded, square, squoval ... nails and discuss what shape is most suitable for that client. HTH;)

I like that idea as well. :) Thank you! I'm going to be busy busy busy! :lol:

:hug: to all!

Latest posts

Back