manicure for the elderly

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon h

Reaction score
Hi, I have just started out in business and was considering contacted care homes for the elderly as a I know some of the ladies would love their nails done ( I have worked in the homes for 2 years and I know the care staff do not have time to pamper the residents)what treatment do you recommend to give to the residents as many residents will be on medication plus frail skin due to age, etc. I would ask my trainer but she has gone away for 3 weeks. Please help. Sharon:hug:

I have a couple of very elderly ladies that I visit (they are not in care homes). They usually want a mini mani, which is cuticle work, file and polish.

When doing the cuticles I prefer to use CND eraser rather than their remover as their skin tends to be so thin and soft.

I rather like doing these ladies because they are so interesting to talk to and they are always so pleased with the results too!:)

There is an article in the current Scratch magazine about problems the elderly have in cutting their toenails. Might be another avenue to consider.

Leslie

My advice to you is stock up on peach coloured polish - elderly ladies love it!!! and maybe some gentlemen too!

I'd just carry out a regular manicure- shape, cuticle work, hand lotion and polish. But omit the massage because their skin can be so thin & fragile.

As these ladies are in a home they will each have a Care Plan listing all their medication, allergies and health so maybe you can have a chat with the staff and they can advise you of anyone who it wouldn`t be suitable for!! :)
It`s a lovely idea and perfect when you are just starting out as it will help build your confidence .........probably some of the most interesting conversations you`ll have too!!

Just be sure to follow all your sanitation and hygiene by the book as older people are much more suseptable to infection etc!

Good luck x

Thanks for the great advice, will be looking out for shades of peach!! Yes, the eldery certainly do have interesting conversations. Thanks again.:hug::Love::Love:

manicures in nursing homes are usually about maintanence not pampering. You have issues with mental and physical illnesses. It's best to keep it simple and quick. Cleaning under the nail (which they usually can't do for themselves and the staff doesn't do) cut back, file and sometimes polish. Not all residents are able to hold their hands in a position to dry due to their physical illnesses.

The state of Arkansas just legalized licensed nail techs to travel with their services following certain guidelines. I am very interested in servicing the elderly in nursing homes offering mani's and pedi's. Can you tell me who to contact (administrative title) in these homes? Also, how are the services paid for and what would be a fair price? Since you have worked in these homes, are there in home activities/schedules that one would work around? Appreciate input from anyone who might know! Thanks!

The state of Arkansas just legalized licensed nail techs to travel with their services following certain guidelines. I am very interested in servicing the elderly in nursing homes offering mani's and pedi's. Can you tell me who to contact (administrative title) in these homes? Also, how are the services paid for and what would be a fair price? Since you have worked in these homes, are there in home activities/schedules that one would work around? Appreciate input from anyone who might know! Thanks!

Yay! They legalized it here in Montana too! I plan on doing the same thing when I open my salon.. I want other people in my salon to join me every two weeks and go to the nursing home. Give manicures, hair cuts and styles!! My grandma always has the greatest stories, you always learn something new, and its always so interesting to go back to an unfamiliar time in our history!!
I'm not sure what to do about prices either.. Should I be giving a senior citizen price or something?

Latest posts

Back