Manicure & Pedicure Routines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla-Louise

Reaction score
I know every therapist is unique and as their own method of routine for carrying out manicure and pedicure treatments as their is actually not right or wrong way of doing it once your qualified however i just wanted some feedback on what other therapist do to ensure the clients are getting a well structured treatment for what they expect.
When i was trained at college 3yrs ago my teacher told me their was not point in buffing the nails and using buffing paste if your going to apply polish as it will only be removed.
But at the salon im currently working we soak the feet, take one of out sanitize, cut/file/buff apply cuticle remover, do the cuticle work, massage and polish and thats classed as a maintenence pedicure & she charges £26 however i feel its not good value for money because it does not include a foot file to remove hard skin and foot scrub which is what i feel clients expect in a pedicure treatment is this what you include too?
If clients want a foot exfoliation/skin/removal and masque will heated booties and cuticle work and polish den its a higher price at £35
I just wanna make sure when i go out and work for myself im doing what clients expect to get when they go to a salon.
In a manicure it would be file nails,buff,cuticle,remover,soak,same on other hand,cuticle work,massage and polish.

Another thing Do you let the client soak their feet a few mintues before starting pedicure or get them to put in afterwards.
sorry ive got on loads about it but hope u can help thankyou x

I would expect hard skin removal in all pedicures and I provide this. I soak feet first before doing anything to them.
HTH

i remove hard skin for either a basic pedi and a spa pedi , i would have words with the salon owner and try change the routine of the basic pedi to involve hard skin removal
hth xx

as above... hard skin removal is a must for my service.
my clients love a good soak. .i have everything ready and allow them to soak while i get them a magaziine and fluff around them a bit getting treatments ready.. plus it makes removal easier

Everyone would expect dead skin removal in a pedicure, imo that's a main part of it, tidying the feet and removing dead skin. I'm surprised this isn't offered!!

Personally I do buff in a manicure. It helps the nails to grow and stimulates blood to the surface of the nail. Again helping the nails themselves and providing skin even under a polish.

Also I soak for around 10 minutes at beginning of pedi, it helps dead skin removal, cuticles etc, and the client can sit and relax

If you were doing your most basic Pedicure and were including callus removal

How long would it take you? And how much would you charge?

And what product range would you use?

I have found that alot of people dont want to pay around the 25.00 mark for my luxury pedi and that includes callus removal/soak/exfoliate/mask/Cuticle work/massage/polish/trim/file nails. I also do a paraffin wax pedi as well.

So I am currently altering prices, but not sure what to ask for and what to include in the treatment.

Gena and Pridara used

Thanks for any ideas.

there are so many different ideas as to what you should include depending on if its a express pedi , basic pedi , luxury etc...
a basic pedi i feel should include at least .. filing , soaking,cuticles rasp, massage and polish
thats what my basic one includes :green:, to be honest i dont always buff toenails ,it depends on the state of the feet i am working on :lol:
hth x

Last edited:
But at the salon im currently working we soak the feet, take one of out sanitize, cut/file/buff apply cuticle remover, do the cuticle work, massage and polish and thats classed as a maintenence pedicure & she charges £26 however i feel its not good value for money because it does not include a foot file to remove hard skin and foot scrub which is what i feel clients expect in a pedicure treatment is this what you include too?

Thats a perfectly reasonable price and service for half hours work......You need to be looking at what you want to be earning an hour and then tailor your treatments round the time. So for example if you want to be earning £40 a hour....that will suit your luxury pedicure. Your basic pedicure could be £20 for half an hour but this one you can tailor to your clients needs, you can soak, hard skin removal then leave out the polish if you dont have time.
David

I love a pedicure and have to say i would complain if i went for a pedi and didnt get hard skin removal, to me thsi is what a pedicure is all about, i would gladly forfeit the massage elemnt for the skin removal but thats me. I think this is more of a maintenance pedi, because youa re maintianing the feet and hard skin.

HTH

Thankyou for you replies i'm glad you all agree that not having hard skin removal in a maintence pedicure treatment which is an hour long treatment charging £26 is not what we class as a pedicure. There is no point me telling the employer this as shes very set in her own ways that shes always right as shes been in the industry for 13yrs so she keeps telling me & i'm be leaving there soon, but just dont wont to make the same mistakes as her...
You see soaking the feet for 10 minutes i personally feel is a long time when your doing an hour long pedicure and you still have to cut/file/buff/hard skin removal/cuticle work/exfoliate/massage & polish. I also like to be ready & organized before my client arrives so when they arrive for their treatment i'm ready to begin.
Also i know its down to personal preference as there was a specefic post about this i myself like to work on hard skin removal while the feet is dry as if you soak it you cant see the amount thats been take on and feel it gives a far better result.
I'd also like to take the opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year

Thankyou for you replies i'm glad you all agree that not having hard skin removal in a maintence pedicure treatment which is an hour long treatment charging £26 is not what we class as a pedicure. There is no point me telling the employer this as shes very set in her own ways that shes always right as shes been in the industry for 13yrs so she keeps telling me & i'm be leaving there soon, but just dont wont to make the same mistakes as her...
You see soaking the feet for 10 minutes i personally feel is a long time when your doing an hour long pedicure and you still have to cut/file/buff/hard skin removal/cuticle work/exfoliate/massage & polish. I also like to be ready & organized before my client arrives so when they arrive for their treatment i'm ready to begin.
Also i know its down to personal preference as there was a specefic post about this i myself like to work on hard skin removal while the feet is dry as if you soak it you cant see the amount thats been take on and feel it gives a far better result.
I'd also like to take the opportunity to wish everyone a Happy New Year

Layla Louise, in my honest opinion, I think you could learn alot from your employer whos been in the business for 13 years and owns her own salon. She has obviously seen an opportunity for offering this pedicure service that clients seem to want and happy to pay for......so where is the mistake. If she did more work such as hard skin removal, scrub, massage then I assume she would charge more.
David

in our mini pedi we dont use the cheese grater but in the luxyry one we do, mini is just file, cuticles, base, main and top and that is a tenner the luxury is soak, file, cuticles, soak, hard skin removal, massage, base, colour, top and then cuticle oil and cream. however.... if i feel the client really needs it i do use the hard skin remover, from the feedback i recieve mind i do think that most clients expect it in the treatment...:green:

lol you havent got a clue thats why we're averaging on 2-3 client's a day so people can have experience but don't know how to run a business

lol you havent got a clue thats why we're averaging on 2-3 client's a day so people can have experience but don't know how to run a business

Sorry, I dont understand what your saying in your above reply.

you said i can learn alot from an employer with 13yrs experience and the above was my reponse to your reply

well she must have been doing something right if she has been at it for 13 years and is in a position to employ you.. iknow i would take it peronaly if i was only getting that many clients and look at my own efoftrs during the proceedure rather then blame my boss.. but thats just me..

I believe that it is the client choice as to what treatments are provided with a foot service so I therefore provide 3 levels of pedicure treatment.

The first one is basically a foot soak and a file and polish.
The second one, which I call my classic pedicure which includes the above plus hard skin treatment with rasp and exfoliation and also cuticle work.
The third one which I call the luxury spa pedicure includes all the above plus deeper callus treatment, foot mask and foot and lower leg massage.

This way the client has a choice and if they expect to have their hard skin removed then I would advice them to have the second or third treatment.

All these treatments are prices according to the time that is spent with the client.

At the moment i have a shape and polish, maintence manicure/pedicure incl cuticle work/exfoliation/massage & polish for my own business plus a luxury manicure/pedicure inc all of the above with masque/heated booties/mittens
I feel that if i also offer mini manis and pedi's then clients wont book in for the full treatment if they can have their cuticles tidied up in a cheaper treatment havent you ever found this problem occur?

Hi Oey, could you please tell me what you mean (in your last thread) about "Plus Deeper Callus Treatment"? thanks

Hi Oey, could you please tell me what you mean (in your last thread) about "Plus Deeper Callus Treatment"? thanks

My luxury pedicure is the Creative Spa pedi and I also use their Callus Remover AHA Lotion (I think that it what it is called). I will try and find a web link for it.

It is the Creative Sea Serum Login - CND

Hopefully the link will work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back