Manicure ... with or without soaking?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Soak or not to Soak

• I always soak during a manicure

Votes: 229 60.7%
  • I Never soak during a manicure

Votes: 59 15.6%
  • I only soak depending on the condition of the nails

Votes: 89 23.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. First I did soak but after having a client who's nails were peeling and asking you all about what I should do and I was advised to get the SolarOil by Creative and I decided last week to not soak anymore.

My question is in the directions it says to create a moisture pack using SolarOil and Cuticle Eraser. How is that done?

Thanks, Nash

Use the Aha cuticle Eraser, rubbing it into the cuticle area....then add Solar Oil....then carry on with our exfoliation, heated mitts etc....This just gives that bit extra moisture, where it ismost required , to keep the eponychium nice and supple.

Use the Aha cuticle Eraser, rubbing it into the cuticle area....then add Solar Oil....then carry on with our exfoliation, heated mitts etc....This just gives that bit extra moisture, where it ismost required , to keep the eponychium nice and supple.

Thank you izzidoll :)

As far as the oil goes...if it is a brush on will any of the Cuticle Eraser get on it? Also are we supposed to use brush on oil or the one with the dropper? I guess my question really is is brush on sanitary?

Nash

I much prefer using a dropper!!

Cuticle is pterygium isnt it?

No it isn't, I got so confused when I first joined I actually PM'd Geeg to get it right as some of my course work said one thing and others parts said another. Little Angel found the info I couldn't. Do you have Geeg's book @Nail Class'? Its been the most useful book I have along side Doug Schoons book 'Nail Structure and product chemistry' :hug:

Myths and Fables Concerning Nails 6 December 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myths and Fables Concerning Nails 6 December 2004

Pterygium is all that stuff we remove from the nail plate prior to application.

No it is not …Cuticle is the non-living tissue that you remove from the nail plate prior to product application. There can be allot, as in your nail biter, or a little if someone looks after their nails.

Pterygium is 'living' tissue that (when talking about nails anyway) grows down the centre of the plate dividing the nail and is very painful if you try to do anything to it ... you certainly cannot remove it. Pterygium is a term for any overgrowth of skin cells (psoriasis is pterygium) on the body.

Eponychium is the living tissue, which surrounds zone 3 of the nail plate and is often incorrectly referred to as cuticle! No wonder so many get confused. But they wouldn't if they used the correct terms.

GIGI ROUSE
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/11347-myths-fables-concerning-nails-6-december-2004-a.html

Does that help any??

I couldn't find it earlier to quote it :lol:

Very very intresting thread i fully enjoyed it thank you all
ps I voted depending on client

Hi, I completed my vtct nail treatment course last year at my local college which was a full 6 month course. I cannot believe how out of date their training is until now I have read this thread:irked:

We were taught(quoted from my student pack):
1. Client consultation-remove jewellery-complete treatment plan.
2. Wipe over the hands with witch hazel, checking for contra-indications.
3. Remove old enamel-both hands, checking for contra-indications.
4. Cut, file and bevel one hand.
5. Apply buffing paste and buff nails.
6. Apply cuticle cream or oil to the nails, rub into the cuticles and soak the hand in a finger bowl (warm soapy water).
7. Repeat the above steps 4-6 on the other hand.
8. Dry the first hand, apply cuticle remover with a tipped orange stick and push back the cuticles, with a rubber hoof stick or hoof end of an orange stick.
9. Use a cuticle knife (wet) - then dry the nail. Use the cuticle nippers on the cuticles and re-soak to remove the cuticle remover.
10. Repeat steps 8-9 on the other hand.
11. Make sure both hands are now dry.
12. Complete the hand and arm massage.
13.Squeak clean the nail plate on both hands and clean under the free edge with an orange stick.
14. Check the nails/cuticles are tidy - replace jewellery. Payment may be taken at this point.
15. Apply the base coat.
16. Apply nail enamel ( 3 coats if pearlised, 2 if cream).
17. Apply a topcoat if required.
18. Advise client on homecare-contra-actions.
19. Check treatment plan is fully completed and signed by all parties.

I was taught the only time you would alleviate from this routine was when you were incorporating a mask treatment. A clients present nail condition was only discussed as regards to the mask treatment ie paraffin or hot oil and to the type of base coat used.:irked:

I have had a few problems with client as regards to their peeling or dry/brittle nails, but I have just put the problem as to my inexperience.
I originally chose my course as I presumed I would get the most up to date training with the best advice, but as you can imagine I am now questioning my own knowledge,ability and professionalism.:cry:

Thank you to all you geeks for your time and advice on this forum. Would you advise me to re-train? If so who do you recomend.

Coming from a school stand point, we are required to teach the basic method from our text (that is what they will be tested on at their licensing exam) but we also teach the other accepted methods most suitable to the client. Which way they choose to manicure after school I have no control over, but for the 1st 300-500 hours of training they are stuck performing a spa manicure which must include the traditional soak in the finger bowl. (I have to make sure they have it down before moving on)

Hi!
really great thread so interesting
-.................interested in the warm damp towels theory ... after putting on the exfoliating crystals & activator do you bag (cling film) and then put the warm damp towels over (for how long??) and then do you clean them off with the damp towel (now cold) also? Or do you let them wash their hands?

cheers! :hug:
Cait

Can anyone help me with my question? Thanks x:green:

WELL DONE YOU!! HOW EDUCATIONAL HAS THIS THREAD BEEN?!!

I have always soaked just because I always thought that my clients expected it and would have felt that I had cut corners if I hadn't Also that was the way I was trained.

It all makes absolute sense NOW (after reading this) - my 'file and polish ladies' always seem to rave about how long their nail enamel has lasted and the 'manicure ladies' are always happy but don't 'rave' about it in the same manner. Being cynical, I just passed it down to the fact that they had not paid as much so weren't expecting as much... Now from reading this thread I understand what they mean! (they were probably stating a fact!!)

With the same token could I just ask... I only use Creative products and have moved on to the Raw Earth from Spa Pedicure and love both but really like Raw Earth. I never used heated boots before but do now.

I had my friend who is training at the moments give me a pedicure using the products because I think you need to know how they feel and the benefits yourself before using them on clients .

I loved the products and am SURE it is nothing to do with them or how they were being used (had the vid going in the background) but my enamel has chipped which it never does (always lasts longer on toes - doesn't it?) Could it be anything to do with the heat from the boots. All that expanding and shrinking?? Also we were trying to follow the massage instructions so my feet may have been soaking for longer than they should have been. all proof really that what has been said on the original thread is CORRECT. Sorry if this is not relevant to the original thread but feel it's 'singing from the same hymn sheet' so to speak. I know I have also shown toe nails as an example but they are only made up of the same proteins etc as finger nails so will surely react in the same manner to certain elements/chemicals.

Ok...you soak nail plate (which is dry and sometimes VERY VERY dry), it soaks up the moisture(water)...what happens naturally is that the nail plate expands with all the moisture...you apply base, enamel, etc....few hours go by...nail plate dries up again and loses the swelling, therefore shrinks back to original size....what happens to enamel?????????????? Chips/flakes/wears/whatever you want to call it...nothing to do with the product or application.... we personally never soak but make up for it with lots of moisturising, massage and conditioning.

This is exactly what we practice in our salon. The clients don't mind because we apply cuticle remover, heavy duty moisturizer, bag'em & place their hands in heated mitts. They love the mitts!:Love:
We also tell our clients if they wash dishes by hand to wear gloves as well as if they are bathers instead of someone who showers to not let their nails soak in the water.

Sometimes peeling is caused by the end of the nail not being sealed. Do you have a ceramic file or ruby stone file to use on natural nails? They are very gentle on the nails so they stay sealed to prevent the natural nail from peeling.

I chose not to soak.I only thought it made no sense.I learn alot on my own from common sense,trial and error or other.I file the nail with a crystal file to seal the free edge.I then use a cuccio peel/scrub to take off dead skin cells then I saturate the hand with a good hand warmo lotion and put cuticle oil on the cuticles to soften up the cuticles I then take glad bags and place hands in them then place in warming mitts set on 2 for 5 minutes.allowing time for the lotion to penetrate and the cuticles to soften,I then take hands out of the mitts and add cuticle eliminator to the cuticles and let set 1 minute and then push back the cuticles and remove dead skin cuticle.I then take a nail brush and use water in a bowl only to scrub the cuticle eliminator off then use a towel and dry the finger tips and make sure any residue is removed then I remove any stubborn dead hanging cuticle with my nippers.never the live tissue.I then procede with cuccio massage creme to do my arm and hand massage.I then take a towel and wipe off the nails and then clean under and around the nails with polish remover then I apply base coat whether it be poshe' or nail tek 2 then I do 2 coats of polish and top with out the door top coat and then I apply drip dry drops and then last but not least solar oil to cuticles.I never have a complaint and the polish stays on great.hands are not dry.they use cuccio butter on there hands at home and the solar oil.nail tek 2 if necessary or top coat every 2 days on nails or free edge depending on lifestyle and habits.so glad this article was brought up.I also use a small blow dryer for drying the polish between coats.

Hi!
really great thread so interesting
-Personally I dont like soaking for all the reasons outlined however my major pet hate is spillage and removal of the bowl - it gets in the way and I waste time essentially on filling and removing it. So now Im convinced - no more soakage for me! However I am interested in the warm damp towels theory ... after putting on the exfoliating crystals & activator do you bag (cling film) and then put the warm damp towels over (for how long??) and then do you clean them off with the damp towel (now cold) also? Or do you let them wash their hands?

cheers! :hug:
Cait

After massaging with the activator, I wrap the hand and fore arm in a hot towel, then do the exfolliating crystals and activator on the other hand/arm, wrap it in hot towels.

I love this thread! I do not soak! I have found the polish lasts longer. I also do the sticky sandwich:

after cleansing nail plate:

1 coat of sticky
1 coat of polish
another coat of sticky
last coat of polish
topcoat

Works liks a charm!

The only time I soak is for male clients. Usually the blue collar man who is doing it for his wedding or other special occasion. Their hands are beaten and stained from manual labor. My husband is a plumber and his hands get quite worn. He loves my MAN-i "Cures". He always jokes that I give a good "Hand" job.
I do have a few professional business men who also receive regular maintenance. Their hands are not as worn. If they are getting a coat of matte or shiny polish,(rare), I will not soak. My regulars usually get buffed with a 3-way. My soak consists of a warm milk and honey mixture. Not water. It exfoliates as well as hydrates. The favorite part is the hand massage at the end. This what keeps them coming back.

Christine

OK this is what works for me .. I use creative

Disinfect & Sanitize
spread on the cuticle Remover (fill out card &get them a coffee/water, put on my gloves)
remove cuticle remover, spritz with citrusoak and water - wipe & remove cuticle
Cuticle eraser & Solar oil moisture pack - rub into nails/skin - turning each finger 3 times in rotation each
file & shape (yes while oily - this really seals in th eoil into the nail and the moisure pack has time to work)
I then lightly matt the nail to 'seal in' the oil that has been absorbed
scrubfresh
Undercoat
polish x 2
Top coat

Time = 30 mins (max)
Drying time = 15 mins
I charge 25 EURO for this service plus 50c for Solar speed spray if desired - its a fair price I think and the manicure with oils and micro peeling adds a spa and unique experience for the customer, I dont like soaking, I dont feel there is any need when using a cuticle remover & oils

Have you ever filed when nails are oily?
(and before you ask.. no I dont slip as I have worked the oil in during the rotations and mini'mini' finger massage)

Cait x:green:

ppl usually come to me for enhancement, and the full Manicure by OPI is too long and then the l&p will lift, so I usually don't. I do when I'm asked the spa one only.

I am not 100% sure if its been mentioned already in this thread.
But i was taught to perform a hot oil manicure on clients that have dry hands etc.

Does no one else offer this to their clients?

I happen to soak too! Not sure what people here are using but my soak is an antibacterial peach soak and nail conditioner by Tammy Taylor. I too was trained to soak however have made many changes since the beauty school days.

Well I am glad that this thread has run and run from 2005......but I think everything has been covered and it can now be closed.
It can still be used for reference but I don't think it will need resurrected again.
Cheers for all the good input on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back