Manicures, pedicures and Gelcolor - is it enough??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Bod

Reaction score
Hi all, I just wondered if I could ask your opinions on this....

I'm training in manicures, pedicures and Gelcolor. My initial plan is to offer these services.

It may sound like an obvious question but I wonder do you think I could achieve a decent client base if I stop short of extensions?

Obviously, I'd like to walk before running and it's not as though I couldn't train in extensions at a later date.

What are your experiences?

Thanks all, and I'm sure there will be more questions where this one came from ;)

I'd say it's not enough to make a living off. If I was to choose 3 course to live off it's be eyebrows (threading, tinting, waxing) and lashes. Manicure and pedicure, although fairly popular- can't see it working.
My opinion.

July x

Got to start somewhere hun. I am in the same position as you and this is my initial plan, then planning on spray tanning and brows and lashes. Im in the position where i can only concentrate on one thing at once, im not made of money and it all costs xx

It depends on what you call a living! Do you really mean a living as in completely supporting yourself, or a small business that pays for the extras? In either case, I think you will end up Turing allot of business away to others who will be offering the whole deal plus I myself would be bored stiff if all I did all day was manis, pedis and painting nails! I don't think I could have a passion for only that.

Thanks for your advice :)

I'll see how I get on then, but like Beauty, I have to do one thing at a time. That said we wouldn't have to rely on any money I may bring home.

I offer only shellac, minx, manis amd pedis. Building a client base takes time whatever you do. Im very lucky to be in the position that we dont rely on what i earn but i still take pride and work hard.

I have a real fear of enhancements, well actually applying the tip and blending, i tried a home learn course and it wasnt for me personally, i need to be taught by someone which in turn gives me confidence.

However i am turning work away as i dont offer enhancements which is frustrating as i could build my client base more if i did.

I am on a free course soon that is s
an express enhancement product and works for natural nails and repairs. Im doing this course to see what its like and also an introduction to nail enhancements to see how i feel and hopefully get over myself lol!

What im trying to say is never say never hun :)

If thats all you want to do then thats fine. Its also a great way to fund any future training you want to do and if thats enhancements great :) we all need to start somewhere and i love that my confidence is growing with each client i do.

Love n hugs x x x

I too think that only manis/pedis are not enough to be a completely self supporting business. You may find that clients will go elsewhere, where they can have everything done?

That said, everyone needs to start somewhere and if you get one or two clients while you train in something else, then so much the better.

Ive recently started using Gelcolor and i really like it and it gives nails a reasonable amount of strength for peoples nails to grow, but i took off someones yesterday and there was the beginnings of a break right down the bottom.
Now i was able to wrap it and put Calgel on it and then carry on with Gelcolor.(hopefully the combination will work im still learning about Gelcolor).So the problems i can see for you is what will you do when you have someone with a break when they have grown a lovely set of nails.

I say get some extension training asap.It will open doors for many more clients.

Hi I a. Just starting out like you do e hnc beauty therapy 20 years ago:Scared:

Now I'm returning to Beaury going to start of with Gel nails Mani/pedi Trendy nail wraps. Have a look at these no big outlay fab for toes easy to apply £59 would give you good choice and dryer, Google Tre dy nail wrap 2 tutorials on their site

I am also offering my Sienna X Tanning , but as said above Rome was not built in a day, I hope to train in Eyelas enhancement once I earn some money.

Hth good luck:wink2:

Sorry about spelling mishaps on train iPad bumping about x

Thank you all for your help.

I'm going to give this some thought and may invest in the Complete Foundation course after the M&P in July.

Latest posts

Back