Manicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAnnaBannAx

Reaction score
I Love doing nails..extensions, art etc etc but find simple manicures boring and unsatisfying...is it essential that you have thorough knowledge on providing basic manicure and pedicure treatments when thats not really want you want to do?

IMO Yes as you need to know about the biology and make up of the hands and feet and nails, If you cant offer a proper manicure how will you be able to do a complete removal of extensions and how will you identify contra-indications to the nails if you dont know what you are looking for.
As a home based salon i find that nearly half of my business is mani's and pedi's as a lot of people now are taking more pride in their own nails rather than extensions.
HTH:)

IMO Yes as you need to know about the biology and make up of the hands and feet and nails, If you cant offer a proper manicure how will you be able to do a complete removal of extensions and how will you identify contra-indications to the nails if you dont know what you are looking for.
As a home based salon i find that nearly half of my business is mani's and pedi's as a lot of people now are taking more pride in their own nails rather than extensions.
HTH:)
Couldnt agree more,manicures are a fundamental treatment for the salon,as alot of clients do not wish for enhancements,be it for whatever reason.

If using, quality professional products the therapist can achieve amazing results from performing regular manicures on thier clients,not only in the improvement of nail care and cuticles,but in the overall appearance and skin texture aswell....so in a nutshell you are providing a diserviceto yourself and your clients from NOT doing manicures!!:)

If i didnt offer manicures or pedicures then ide be skint.

Both the above make up a huge slice of income.

Personaly i think if your doing nails you would be daft not to offer manicures or pedicures JMO

yes i agree you need to know the basics and you need to know the biology, diseases etc etc...i just wondered to what extent and level you need to learn to before learning how to extensions.

I Love doing nails..extensions, art etc etc but find simple manicures boring and unsatisfying...is it essential that you have thorough knowledge on providing basic manicure and pedicure treatments when thats not really want you want to do?
they may be simple and boring to you but you have to understand that they are part of being a great nail tech and you must understand that you need to be able to do them.:grr:

yes i agree you need to know the basics and you need to know the biology, diseases etc etc...i just wondered to what extent and level you need to learn to before learning how to extensions.

you dont need to know anything......just like a hairdresser doesnt need to understand about the hair before tinting.....:rolleyes:
if you find manicures boring......your in the wrong job....sorry but your questions (and i understand your not qualified) are worrying.
there are alot of girls and lads on here who are not qualified but undergoing or are thinking about training and have so much passion for nails...that its quite upsetting to read about someone who is undergoing training and has ziltch passion for the industry.........

Manicures are part of the basics... you need to know manicures and much more besides...

Yes, manicures are very satisfying, the final result, compared to the 'before' nails, can be a total makeover and the feeling that 'I did that' is a kewl feeling to have, especially when the client is totally over the moon at the transformation you've performed on her crappy nails, making them look gorgeous and presentable.

There's a lot more to being a nail technician than just being able to 'do' enhancements.

You need to learn and know your craft inside and out if you're ever going to be successful.

You need to gain a very good knowledge of the products you use, the treatments you perform and most importantly be the best you can be in your chosen field.

This means ongoing training, having regular 1-2-1's with your educator, always striving to be the best that you can possibly be, without the want to succeed you will never be good at your chosen profession.

Take it one step at a time... learn the basics and then take it from there... don't try to run before you can crawl, master one system at a time, don't try to take the easy route EVER, it costs a lot of money, time, effort, blood, sweat and tears to be a good technician, try to remember that.

you dont need to know anything......just like a hairdresser doesnt need to understand about the hair before tinting.....:rolleyes:
if you find manicures boring......your in the wrong job....sorry but your questions (and i understand your not qualified) are worrying.
there are alot of girls and lads on here who are not qualified but undergoing or are thinking about training and have so much passion for nails...that its quite upsetting to read about someone who is undergoing training and has ziltch passion for the industry.........
Amen to that Joanne:!:

valencian nails thankyou for your advice....the reason i asked really is because i did do a substantial part of the nvq 2 but due to circumstances at the time i wasnt able to complete it....i did gain some practical experience and knowledge and although i wasnt able to complete that course i felt that rather than starting it all again..i had enough knowledge under my wing for me to start learning the acrylic system with essential nails, was that the wrong thing to do? Despite what a lot of people seem to think on here i DO want to get it right.

valencian nails thankyou for your advice....the reason i asked really is because i did do a substantial part of the nvq 2 but due to circumstances at the time i wasnt able to complete it....i did gain some practical experience and knowledge and although i wasnt able to complete that course i felt that rather than starting it all again..i had enough knowledge under my wing for me to start learning the acrylic system with essential nails, was that the wrong thing to do? Despite what a lot of people seem to think on here i DO want to get it right.

Anna,if you want help you are in the right place :!:

However i do feel the need to say that as professonal we are passionate about what we do,i'm sure you understand.

Now you wouldn't beleive how many times peeps come on this board,winde everybody up and then naff off

You say you want to learn,great stuff,we'll help,i just ask that you please be mindfull,the written word is easy to misinterpret,and also respectfull of other geeks,you'll get that back in abundance.

I hope you understand.

In regards to doing an essential nails course,it's a starting point,if you decide this industry is for you,you will have to dedicate time money blood sweat and tears,but EN is a great taster

For a successful career i would say yes you need to know basic manicure you will have clients that may come to you and need to have manicures before they are able to have enhancements because their nails are in poor condition.
You may have clients that have their enhancements removed for whatever reason but will still want to have regular manicures.So without the knowledge you are missing out on more potential work.
Its also the foundation to all that goes ahead so its definately worth doing.

Hi Anna
I started my nail career just over a year ago with Creative. I went on the 5 day foundation course with them to learn the liquid and powder system and had no nail experience at all. We were taught nail anatomy, salon hygiene and contra indications along side the acrylic application which are things you would alos be taught on a basic nail course.

It is possible to go straight into enhancement training without having to do manicures and predicures BUT you need to make sure you are on a good quality course that will cover the above mentioned and leave you feeling comfortable with your level of knowledge and understanding regarding nails.
I went on to do Spa manicure and Spa pedicure training with Creative but personally I still felt and feel that my knowledge regarding manicures and pedicures is not where I'd like it to be so I shall be persuing a further course at some stage, however I have them as part of the servies I provide.

HTH's

I think it is very important to have thorough knowledge of manicures but as to whether you have to do them or not is up-to you...there are no rules that say you have to offer manicures, but you would lose out on those clients who do like to have manicures.

What part of it do you find boring and unsatisfying...?

I find filing boring but with the correct methods the job can be done quickly and efficiently.

i dont know why...i know its important and is great to see the end result...i think maybe its not satisfying enough for me because its not so much of a transformation as when you do an enhancement. I dont think manicures rea\lly get the "wow" factor the same as enhancements can.

i dont know why...i know its important and is great to see the end result...i think maybe its not satisfying enough for me because its not so much of a transformation as when you do an enhancement. I dont think manicures really get the "wow" factor the same as enhancements can.

Wait til you do a biter of the space of a few weeks,then you'll see it :wink2:

doesnt that require patience! lol

i dont know why...i know its important and is great to see the end result...i think maybe its not satisfying enough for me because its not so much of a transformation as when you do an enhancement. I dont think manicures really get the "wow" factor the same as enhancements can.
I couldnt disagree with your views any more if i wanted to.

With the right training,and professional products,you CAN get results from a manicure:).....ive had manicures from different professional brands,and had the WOW factor from them.

Why??...because the technician is skilled in understanding the nail,how it works,and can ascertain what LEVEL of result and needs the client can expect...

Yes,i fully understand that the wow factor may happen after several manicures if ones nails are in particularly poor condition...but with the correct professional tools and products,the technician can achieve this.

I challenge you to perform a manicure on one hand using professional manicure products,and then look at the end result compared to the other hand on a client....they will be wowed i can assure you:green:

Manicures should be a staple or "bread and butter" as should enhancements.!!

If you don't get the wow factor from doing manicures, then perhaps you are not doing them properly. Manicures can definitely totally transform the look of the hands and nails, even as pedicures do to feet. I have seen it with my own eyes.

We have geeks on this site who are natural nail techs only. They know their stuff and some have won competitions. Personally I love performing a manicure as much as I do gel enhancements. French manicures are my favourite!

Maybe nails aren't really for you,I dont know.:confused:For me if you have a passion for nails it's hugely satisfying,regardless of it being enhancements or natural nails.

I get many a wow factor when I carry out both mani's and pedi's,well any treatments really.Doing a good paint job is an art in itself.I take huge pride when I see the "end result"It's taken me a long time to get where I am with my manicures....anyone can paint nails but there's a difference between a good and an average..oh and a rubbish paint job,work on it...then you will see that wow factor believe me:lol:

Quite simply I love my job,find it hugely rewarding,satisfying and always(well nearly always) have a wow factor:green:

Oops we posted that the same time Tracey,lol

Latest posts

Back