Manners, where have you gone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanosnana

Premium Geek
Reaction score

Dear Manners, you seem to be on an extended vacation lately and I have to say, I really miss you. Your nemeses, rude, nasty and inconsiderate seem to have taken your place and society is suffering greatly for it.

Why, in just the past few weeks, I have experienced:

• Spending the day with my 16 year old niece and her texting the whole time we were together. (REALLY? You can't enjoy some quality time with your dear ol' aunt)?
  • A client texted me yesterday, AT HER APPOINTMENT TIME, to cancel. (I feel if she had to actually SPEAK to me, she wouldn't have cancelled the appointment).
  • I was having a leisurely dinner last night with a co-worker and the CHILD behind me was on her phone, with the volume was so loud, I thought I was in a pub. (Mum said nothing and I was searching for a shot and a beer)!
  • People posting rude and nasty comments on other's Facebook pages. (Things you wouldn't dare say to someone's face).
While I think technology can be good, in the right hands, we musn't forget that our behavior using technology can have a negative impact on those around us and those we don't even know.

Manners, I think we should get the word out; if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, do NOT text it, do not post it to someone's Facebook page or website.

If someone is willing to spend time with you, please don't use that precious time to text your friends. Use that time to enjoy the company of the person you are with.

If you are dining out, please don't let your use of technology impact those around you.

Manners, please cancel the rest of your vacation and come back to us. We need you!

Signed,

Old, tired and crabby

Love it Nana x x x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Very well said!! I always tell people off for constantly texting when they are with me, it's REALLY rude, I feel it sends a message saying they would rather spend more time talking to someone else rather than me. I think it's important to pull people up on it and not accept their rudeness.

So agree.
I think drivers have the worst manners. If I pull over or let you out I expect a flick of the hand or a light flash. I've had the worst week with drivers this week, so many have cut me up while being on there phones. Also use your indicators! X

If I pull over or let you out I expect a flick of the hand or a light flash. I've had the worst week with drivers this week, so many have cut me up while being on there phones. Also use your indicators! X

Oh these are all major peeves of mine!! I work in a road that seems to be populated by the most selfish, inconsiderate and rude drivers ever. It winds me up.

Dear Manners, you seem to be on an extended vacation lately and I have to say, I really miss you. Your nemeses, rude, nasty and inconsiderate seem to have taken your place and society is suffering greatly for it.

Why, in just the past few weeks, I have experienced:

• Spending the day with my 16 year old niece and her texting the whole time we were together. (REALLY? You can't enjoy some quality time with your dear ol' aunt)?
  • A client texted me yesterday, AT HER APPOINTMENT TIME, to cancel. (I feel if she had to actually SPEAK to me, she wouldn't have cancelled the appointment).
  • I was having a leisurely dinner last night with a co-worker and the CHILD behind me was on her phone, with the volume was so loud, I thought I was in a pub. (Mum said nothing and I was searching for a shot and a beer)!
  • People posting rude and nasty comments on other's Facebook pages. (Things you wouldn't dare say to someone's face).
While I think technology can be good, in the right hands, we musn't forget that our behavior using technology can have a negative impact on those around us and those we don't even know.

Manners, I think we should get the word out; if you wouldn't say something to someone's face, do NOT text it, do not post it to someone's Facebook page or website.

If someone is willing to spend time with you, please don't use that precious time to text your friends. Use that time to enjoy the company of the person you are with.

If you are dining out, please don't let your use of technology impact those around you.

Manners, please cancel the rest of your vacation and come back to us. We need you!

Signed,

Old, tired and crabby
testify, sister!xxx

Amen Nana! :hug:

Brilliantly written!

I recently went for a meal out with my children (12 and 14) and at the end an elderly gentleman came over and said it was a rare sight to see a family chatting and not sitting using electronics. My children were rather sheepish as they'd been an almighty argument before we left the house as they wanted to take phones etc. They then admitted they'd enjoyed it. Mind you.....as soon as we got home...phones and electronics came out. One small step at a time!

Great thread, D'Nana!

My bugbear is how people behave on a crowded pavement, or in shops.

I think it's manners to hold doors open for others, to wait at a respectful distance behind someone with wheelchairs etc so they don't feel rushed, to respect personal space, to be aware of bags whacking others and if possible to walk in a reasonably straight line, not weave around and force others to swerve!

Ooh! I feel better now!

Go Dande, let it out!

I know someone who never says thank you if you hold a door open and doesn't give you eye contact when you pass them in a corridor. It's not just me, a lot of people have ranted at the rudeness. It used to make me so mad I would have a little swear when at a safe distance. Now I see it as a little private joke for myself that I give my biggest smile and loudest hello! :biggrin:

I agree, I once had a facial and the therapist was texting during it! Wonder if we will lose the art of conversation.

Latest posts

Back