Mary Portas Secret Shopper series 3

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't believe all the swearing!

Umm......6 of one, half a dozen of the other......
I could see it from both sides to be honest.
I don't have cameras, but I know increasingly of salons installing them, especially as more salons are renting chairs/stations on a day to day basis, with multiple operators using the space.

I can't see how the program has helped the salon in any way to be honest.
Shobie must of hoped for a more positive outcome.
Looking at the salons Facebook page, the comment's people are making after watching the program are really quite negative.:oops:

I won't be putting my name forward for a visit from Mary any time soon....:eek::eek::eek:
It's not alway's true that 'Any publicity, is better than no publicity'!

Last edited:
I felt sorry for the owner for her personal problems on responsibility and trust. However she was the author of her own misfortune.

The spying was just unacceptable- in a retail area i get it but it was too overbearing. Her husband was so negative to staff, i really didn't like his jibes on the money aspect side of things, he was a bit of a debbie downer. He really didnt need to be around the premises- just be a silent partner!

But in my eyes the salon manager was really incompetent, all those people on holiday, she had mismanaged and didn't seem to have a clue on how to deal with big egos. I don't think she boasted team moral, her staff looked a bit gormless under her and i think she fueled some underlying tension and bitchiness. That poor apprentice not being taught anything, she was overlooked just as the clients had been. I thought watching the program that the manager and the creative Max were hiding something as if sweeping something under the carpet with Mary around after his tantrum. I really didn't like how the owner went back to the cameras it brings so much distrust.

This was the first makeover that i was a bit like meh, due to the atmosphere. What would you have done if you was in that position?

I sincerely hope if the salon owner was on this site that she realizes that she needs to be able to entrust staff completely and have faith in their ability and help them grow creatively. She needs to stop spying and micromanaging, she needs to have a really simple policy handbook on behavior, staff stealing and have incentives to sell her mass amounts of retail. She needs to help aid her apprentices or find time to encourage all on the shop floor constructively. She also needs to update all her staff on current trends and help boost their confidence to help them see it is an enjoyable trade! xoxo

I agree with @wonderwoman, that the manager was struggling in her role.

Promoting stylists to a management role only works if they have the aptitude and relevant training to enable them to manage the staff that were previously their friends/colleagues. It can be a tricky path to negotiate and has to be done with care and proper support from the owner. Like many owners, Shobie was trying to micro-manage everything and that doesn't work. If you employ a manager, you have to give over control of aspects of the business and let them make their own decisions otherwise, what's the point?

I was pleased to see that Mary didn't pander when Max had a toddler strop. Ignoring him 'till he calmed down and was ready to engage in an adult way, was the best way to diffuse the situation.

I do feel a touch sorry for Max, he was only 20. And something MUST have been cut. We only saw the childish tantrum. But I don't think we saw the true reason to set it off. Z

He'd been working his butt off all week then Mary moaned at him! I'd have a strop too!!!

17 staff tho and those clients sat waiting for all that time! Mary should have been with them every step of that refurb encouraging them, and installing a new way of thinking into them, but turning up in the final hour nagging them wasn't good for moral!

Showbi made a complete fool of herself I think, trying too hard to manage them but ended up treating them like kids, the manager couldn't manage as long as she was around so I'm not surprised she left tbh, there's no way I could work for showbi

I have to say, I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed by some of the comments.:(
There are ALWAYS two side to every story.....

Cameras are common place nowdays...

Mary used them herself to analyse the business....so why be so shocked that the business owner used them to monitor her business!!!!!:confused:

I just felt it was a bit over the top with cameras everywhere. I could understand by the till or retail area but it was too much and the staff were getting pulled up on things that happened a few weeks ago after she had watched it back. That's enough to have everyone walking on eggshells. I do believe that if you think the worst of people then that's what you will get and it seems like she was waiting for them to do something wrong so she could reprimand them

There were definitly issues that her manager should have been dealing with like the bad language and Unprofessionalism but the manager herself was slagging her off when she wasn't there so the staff prob thought if she could get away with acting like that then they could too! I think the manager got the job cos she had been working there the longest but although she may have been a great stylist, she wasn't really doing her managerial job properly which caused a lot of issues. She seemed to want to be their friend more than a manager and it was like them and us against shobi. No one really came out of it looking that good to be honest apart from the junior!

I feel so lucky, I can go on holiday and know my staff are doing a great job of looking after things. I trust them as have had no reason not to but would not want to spy on them, I think it's a bit extreme!

Last edited:
Spying is usually nessecary if there's been half inching going on at some point, the salon I used to work at had cameras, 1 in the stock room, one on the break room, 1 on the till & 1 on the barbers shop downstairs there was no volume just video, they were actually quite useful. I just think showbi lorded over them far too much well that's how it seemed, what do you think was the other side to the story @RED STAR ?

We did see a certain amount of 'clowning around' on the shop floor by some of the staff....perhaps this went on more than was acceptable.
Perhaps there had been complaints from clients to back this up.....we don't know.o_O

The filming for this program went on over several weeks, and we got to see a heavily edited version of events.
The head stylist had been there 10 years........why would she have stayed that long if it was THAT bad!

From my own experience, it only takes one staff member to bring a team down.
Could there have been a little jealousy between the stylists?:(
It's easier to blame the boss, than a fellow team member.

Hopefully, the staff who have left, have gone on to find found their 'PERFECT JOB'.....
We'll see.

We did see a certain amount of 'clowning around' on the shop floor by some of the staff....perhaps this went on more than was acceptable.
Perhaps there had been complaints from clients to back this up.....we don't know.o_O

The filming for this program went on over several weeks, and we got to see a heavily edited version of events.
The head stylist had been there 10 years........why would she have stayed that long if it was THAT bad!

From my own experience, it only takes one staff member to bring a team down.
Could there have been a little jealousy between the stylists?:(
It's easier to blame the boss, than a fellow team member.

Hopefully, the staff who have left, have gone on to find found their 'PERFECT JOB'.....
We'll see.
Nice thinking there... I'm sure there were a fair few complaints from clients with that lot tbh, so yea they did need a firm hand, just think her approach to it was naff, the sneaky comments behind her back would have created a big devide between boss & staff too, Mary did point that out I noticed, I doubt very much they'll be happy anywhere they go, there's always a boss when ur employed lol!

I think if the manager had done her job properly there would be no need for the constant cameras as the manager should have been maintaining standards and professionalism on the floor. a lot of the staff seemed quite young so if the more experienced team members aren't setting a good example how are they supposed to know what is acceptable. (I know it's common sense to us but it doesn't look like they had ever been taught how to be professional which was surprising as they claim to be a 5 star salon). Perhaps that was why shobi kept feeling the need to interfere or micro manage. I didn't think it needed Mary portas to sort that out but maybe she knew it would have the effect of clearing out staff who weren't prepared to pull their socks up!
I think it's one of the least enjoyable of her programmes I Have seen as it didn't seem that anything really improved as a result. I don't think it would convince me to go there if I was a local looking for a new salon!

I can see it from the stylists side because if im on my loo or tea break i wouldn't want to look at all the rules and tacky posters then know that i may be scrutinised by my boss overseeing me eat my lunch. It was overkill. The way i saw it was they had no drive or determination, when they were in charge they somehow managed to create a profit. The owners fustrations had ultimately changed the environment, the worker bees were not feeling the love or the ambience that they too could have contributed to.

Im looking forward to the hardware shop! In the trailer all i wanted to do was clean that place and make sure those guys get new clean clothes!

I was really disappointed in the way the program ended tbh I thought they would of at least filmed the scenes of the catch up rather than it just being typed x

I was really disappointed in the way the program ended tbh I thought they would of at least filmed the scenes of the catch up rather than it just being typed x
I know most programmes like this do a catch up I was expecting her to go back a month or two after [emoji35]

I know most programmes like this do a catch up I was expecting her to go back a month or two after [emoji35]
Yeah that's exactly what i was expecting too was just a bit of a let down tbh unless at the end of the series they go back to all of them on a catch up?

Did anyone see the hardware shop episode tonight [emoji33]?

Not nearly so interesting I know but omg were they for real?

I didn't see it will watch on catch up saw the trailer they looked like a bunch of unenthusiastic oldies , only watched the last one because it was a hair salon x

Latest posts

Back