Massage complaint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurachicgeek

Reaction score
Hi all
I did a massage on a client on Friday who had a few nots on her back and a couple on her neck. Anyway I got a phone call this morning with her saying that she's had a migraine ever since the massage???
I've told her to consult her doctor. What else could I do?
She said she suffers from stress a lot and gets panic attacks quite often not sure if these things could cause the migraines???
Please help many thanks

I wouldn't worry Hun, as long as you did everything you should have with the massage! You've done the right thing telling her to see a doctor, I may be a mixture of everything xxx

Was it her first massage? Maybe tell her to make sure she had been drinking plenty water, had she been doing that? Other than that I'm not sure what else I would have said to her.

It's not her first massage. She used to see the girl before me in the salon all the time with no problems. I did suggest as I always do to drink plenty of water after her massage to release the bad toxins. I should of asked her again this morning!

Some people are more susceptible to migraines unfortunately. You likely didn't do anything wrong, she's just not used to the muscles in her neck being poked and prodded (not in a bad way) which has caused the muscles to constrict, restricting the blood flow to her brain and thus causing the migraine.

Source - I've had cluster hemiplegic migraines since I was 15. Been seeing neurologists every couple of months since then.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Post massage there can be toxins going round the body so headaches can come from this. Sounds like the best thing she can do is drink lots of water and take it easy as possible, avoiding things like caffine.

Headaches are a normal side effect from a massage along with thirst. Maybe work this into your consultation with new clients in future. Someone (a friend) told me she was worried that since having gel polish her nails had stopped growing (they have not). Amazing what people think to blame for stuff.

I suspect she has not been following aftercare advice after her massage ie take it easy, have a light meal, no exercise, no heat services, saunas and drink lots of water and no caffeine, or alcohol.

A contra action from massage is headaches unfortunately. You must have worked her hard!? :o

I have a sports massage every two weeks and always get a bad headache afterwards despite drinking lots of water and taking it easy! If I didn't I wouldn't rate the massage! X

Wow thank you for you're responses I will definitely note all this down. I haven't heard back from her yet but she did rebook for another massage for next week straight after she had her massage. Yes I did work her hard. She had lots of knots and tension on the trapezius area (which I think is standard) but who nos if she will return for more?

My personal opinion is that you need to work on the scalp as well otherwise you are not releasing all the connected muscles.You don't have to use oil in the scalp.

She may have suffered a trapped nerve/energy blockage but as she admits to having anxiety it probably is a side effect. Symptoms are signals that need to be addressed. I agree with the scalp massage mentioned. Massage does create side effects though it is often seen as a somewhat passive treatment. After reflexology once, I became extremely dehydrated and drank until my body restored. Detailed consultation with the client will help overcome these issues.

Latest posts

Back