SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophiechap

Reaction score
I’ve recently started massage and have a routine I use loosely between clients. I’m just unsure of working on the lower back. I work on the shoulders and over the glutes however i feel I’m slightly missing the area of the back (kind of where the kidneys are) as I’m worried about hurting the client. I wring and knead the whole back and also effelurage, is it enough? I don’t want it to feel to the client I’m missing a part of it. Hope this makes sense, any advice would be appriciated I’m new and still learning

Hi,
The lumbar area is important to work on, equal to the shoulder area, as this is where a lot of clients get back ache. In addition to the moves you are already doing, work using your thumbs either side of the vertebrae in little circles pressing firmly and move up the spine until you reach just below the scapulae.
It's difficult to explain in words but perhaps watch some professional massage videos to give you more ideas and moves.

This video looks to a good standard:

Get a friend round and show them a move or two and ask them to focus on those areas and use the same intensity on upper and lower back and see if you can judge the difference in pressure. Sometimes you need to feel it.

Latest posts

Back