Massage Training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaVe Training

Reaction score
For anyone starting out in this business and not able to take advantage of the excellent free training available to some at FE colleges, the expense involved can be considerable. As a private, independent training provider I know how expensive private courses are and what a huge outlay it can be before even considering purchasing equipment and thinking of advertising costs.
I am therefore dismayed that there are some training providers out there who are willing to accept large sums of money from enthusiastic students, for diplomas, which do not meet the required standard for licensing in the UK.
Not all Boroughs require massage therapists to be licensed, (however anyone involved in treatments, which pierce, or potentially pierce the skin i.e. ear piercing, epilation etc. must be licensed). Which Borough you live or work in will determine whether or not you are required to apply for a license. The reason for this is to protect bona fide therapists who offer massage as a professional treatment, as opposed to ‘massage parlours’ who offer rather more than massage. Each Council throughout England and Wales will decide whether there is a necessity to regulate businesses operating within their area, and refers to the Byelaw under Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act1982.
Anyone considering training in massage must insure that the training they are hoping to undertake meets the criteria of their particular Borough Council.
I was very recently contacted by a therapist who had paid over £300 to obtain a massage diploma, she completed the training in 2 days and was able to obtain insurance to treat clients (rather surprisingly, I thought?). When she contacted her local Borough council in a London district, she discovered that the certificate she earned, was not one that met their criteria, hence why she contacted me to enquire.
I really feel for the person involved and I am cannot imagine the frustration and heartache involved having spent hard earned cash for zero return and with the possibility of having to spend more money to achieve a recognized qualification. I write this only to warn others; please check with your Borough Council regarding their licensing criteria and most important of all if you are about to embark on a training course, make sure that it is a Nationally recognized Awarding Body, i.e. VTCT, C&Gs etc. (You can check this by going online to: register.ofqual.gov.uk/).
Venetia Harwood Pearce
Have Training

Cannot wait to train with you in a few weeks :) x

Latest posts

Back