Massaging client without pregnancy qualification, will it be covered?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraceM.

Reaction score
Hi all, I've finished my level 3 beauty (and providing mostly massages), I was wondering if the insurance will cover me doing Swedish massage on a pregnant client (past first trimester) without having the actual pregnancy massage course qualification? Any answer/help is appreciated. Also what type of insurance do you guys take out for Deep Tissue Massage? I am with theguild insurance but they only cover therapeutic deep tissue massage and not for anything to do with pain or injury which most client's main reason to having deep tissue massage. Any advice please is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

All insurance providers will have their own specified terms and conditions so you must always check with your own insurer. Some providers for instance, will offer cheaper insurance costs but provide less cover. If you want a specific type of cover, probably best to google your requirements and then call the ones that look hopeful and check their terms.

If you’re at all unsure, ask for confirmation of coverage in writing before committing to paying in case they don’t include exactly what you need.

Hi Grace

You have been trained to provide certain types of treatment. Look at your qualification certificate. This will tell you what types of treatment you can insure yourself for.

You then need to make sure that your insurance schedule lists the qualifications that you have gained. You need to check the policy schedule and the policy wording to check the definitions of the treatments listed in your schedule. You need BOTH the qualification and the insurance certification

It won't be possible for you to be insured to provide any treatment which goes beyond your training - even if you pay for the insurance cover. Your insurance will cover you for the treatments which relate to your training, not something that you have invented for yourself based on your experience and expertise. As you haven't covered pregnancy massage, you won't be insured on your Guild insurance to treat pregnant women at any stage of their pregnancy, EVEN if your policy states that you have this cover

Deep tissue massage is not just about applying pressure with your forearms, it's more of a level 4/5 qualification. A good level three course will teach you some deep tissue techniques which you can do safely. And these are usually covered by a Swedish massage qualification insurance - just check to be on the safe side.

If you are applying traction, using stretching techniques, sliding your fingers between or under muscles to reach deeper tissues or doing trigger point work - you need deep tissue training, a qualification AND deep tissue insurance cover.

Some insurance policies do give you more comprehensive cover without post graduate qualifications - but these policies are offered to people with an insurance approved level four and over qualification.

Thank you AcidPerm and Thedutchess. I have spoken to my insurance and they said I can perform a Swedish massage on pregnant clients as long as I'm following their insurance guidelines on massages with pregnant client while providing the treatment. Regarding deep tissue massage, I am qualified and fully licensed. My question was which insurance is best to use as my current one only cover therapeutic deep tissue massage and not diagnostic or treating pain and injury. I am with beautyguild. Anyway, beautyguild staff has recommended an insurance company that covers deep tissue massage in depth and I was just looking around if other people has any suggestion as I didn't know that deep tissue massage have different level of insurances. Thank you guys. Appreciated it.

Hi,Grace.
Have you joined a complementary health membership organisation? They offer insurance schemes to members.

Balens provide most of the massage schemes. You could go to them direct but it's likely that you'll get a better rate if you are eligible for one of their 'schemes" offered through training schools and/or membership organisations.

For this type of cover there isn't really a lot of choice. It isn't like shopping around for your car insurance.

Hi,Grace.
Have you joined a complementary health membership organisation? They offer insurance schemes to members.

Balens provide most of the massage schemes. You could go to them direct but it's likely that you'll get a better rate if you are eligible for one of their 'schemes" offered through training schools and/or membership organisations.

For this type of cover there isn't really a lot of choice. It isn't like shopping around for your car insurance.

Hi TheDuchess, Thank you x

Latest posts

Back