Massive irritation!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
NO ... I am not talking about the kind of irritation that leads to overexposure.

I am making a personal comment on those who refer to Professional Nail Technicians as (ugh ... here it comes ... I can hardly say it) ........... Techies!!! There I DID it. Guess what?????

:evil: I AM NOT A TECHIE! :evil:

I am a Professional and I hate being referrred to as a techie as much as a nurse would hate to be called nursie!! Is it any wonder really why clients have little respect for nail technicians if we don't even respect ourselves and what we do??

Just a comment. What's your opinion?

Well funnily enough and I see my self as a Nail Technician and hence sometimes on this board I use the abreviation ie Techie

Just like i call myself a Geek but I would never use this term amongst jo public then i am a qualified technician in nails :lol: Private joke hey geeg

Sticks and stones.... :eek:

Aphrodite said:
Sticks and stones.... :eek:

Don't know what the point of this is, but It does 'hurt' me, and imo it hurts how our profession is percieved by the public! And my main concern has always been to promote how nail technicians are percieved by the public. It's caled PR.

I have worked for 15 years to show by example that we are professionals and that what we do is a professional service. Perhaps you do not agree?

I'm sorry to hear that it hurts you, but I just think that as long as I know I am a professional and i do my job properly and to the best of my abilities, does it matter if someone calls me a technician or a techie?

A "Sparks" is a qualified electrician.... doesn't mean he's any less of a professional because i call him a "Sparks" does it?

I mean, everyones different and if you take offence to it thats totally up to you, but i'm sure that the person who called you a techie didn't mean to offend you, if anything it sounds quite affectionate to me!

...moving on with this thread i wonder how many of you fellow geeks call your self a therapist or a technician....I am torn sometimes, I feel that therapy a justified term but still relate it more to beauty...does that make sence??? :|

Fab Freak said:
...moving on with this thread i wonder how many of you fellow geeks call your self a therapist or a technician....I am torn sometimes, I feel that therapy a justified term but still relate it more to beauty...does that make sence??? :|

I call myself a beauty therapist and nail technician :green:

Aphrodite said:
I'm sorry to hear that it hurts you, but I just think that as long as I know I am a professional and i do my job properly and to the best of my abilities, does it matter if someone calls me a technician or a techie?

A "Sparks" is a qualified electrician.... doesn't mean he's any less of a professional because i call him a "Sparks" does it?

I mean, everyones different and if you take offence to it thats totally up to you, but i'm sure that the person who called you a techie didn't mean to offend you, if anything it sounds quite affectionate to me!

Well no one has called me a techie!

My post was a personal observation on the use of the word to describe We nail technicians as a whole . To my way of thinking it is demeaning and lowers the perception of we and the industry as a whole. My concern is for the whole industry and not just myself ... I know who I am.

Are we not trying to raise public awareness of our profession? Did we not all get steamed up about the incorrect terminology used in the BEST magazine article? Would it not help our public personna if we ourselves thought and referred to ourselves in more professional terms?

My opinion as I said ... it clearly doesn't bother you. I bet it bothers others though.

well I am a Freak :lol:

geeg said:
Don't know what the point of this is, but It does 'hurt' me, and imo it hurts how our profession is percieved by the public! And my main concern has always been to promote how nail technicians are percieved by the public. It's caled PR.

I have worked for 15 years to show by example that we are professionals and that what we do is a professional service. Perhaps you do not agree?

Hi Gigi

My honest opinion is that public perception isnt just personal to the Nail Industry, unfortunately it happens in every industry.

I trained for 7 years and passed exam after exam, degree and a chartership in financial consultancy, worked as a stocks and shares dealer and also as an Investment Broker to squillionaires - only to be confused with the Insurance Salesman and his Bank Teller wife who lived next door. :D

I also know someone who studied for years, has a doctorate in computer science and is an of a huge American IT company - he gets classed as anything from Computer Techie/Freak/Nerd/Geek/IT Bod but very rarely gets referred to by his well earned title Dr! :eek:

You will never educate Jo Public to know what every qualification/occupation entails so why waste time trying, just get on with being the best at whatever you love most -IMHO life is just too short.

Flanakat
x

I used to call myself a Nail Therapist as in the early days of my business the only nail technicians I came across were the ones who had done only a 2 day course and nothing else and didnt even know what a manicure was and they used to talk about the white bit at the end of the nail and the pink bit.

I wanted to be seen as more professional and better educated than them.

Now I am very proud to call myself a Nail Technician as some of the top people out there are Nail technicians and they know the name of the white and pink bits LOL.

BTW I got Scratch this morning and I have waited a year for the current "Headliner" to be showcased ;)

naturalnails said:
I used to call myself a Nail Therapist as in the early days of my business the only nail technicians I came across were the ones who had done only a 2 day course and nothing else and didnt even know what a manicure was and they used to talk about the white bit at the end of the nail and the pink bit.

I wanted to be seen as more professional and better educated than them.

Now I am very proud to call myself a Nail Technician as some of the top people out there are Nail technicians and they know the name of the white and pink bits LOL.

BTW I got Scratch this morning and I have waited a year for the current "Headliner" to be showcased ;)
Who is Fiona - i dont get scratch yet....dont keep me in suspenders :lol:

Fab Freak said:
Who is Fiona - i dont get scratch yet....dont keep me in suspenders :lol:
its GEEG :cool:

Have never been called a 'techie' or heard it used but yes I HATE it too!!!!!!!! 'nail tech' I can live with lol...I think 'nail artist' is about the best term for our profession (especially if we do lots of nail art design). It's true most jobs titles are turned into a 'casual' title but TECHIE has got to be one of the worst yukkkk LOL.

Yes i have to agree with the last few posts. I also don't like "Techie" either, it does sound abit condescending. Almost like we are playing at being nail technicians. I also have shortened it to "tech" now and then but if i'm talikng to a potential client then i say i am a Nail Technician. My Aunt who is a client, has lovely long nails to die for and is my best nail art client. She has a clear L&P overlay on nails and always has differnet nail art every two weeks. She always tells her friends that i'm a "Nail Artist".

It definately gives a more professional feel to what you do as lets face it if you don't put yourself forward that way you won't be taken seriously. I don't think it matters amongst friends who know what you do and that you are professional but we shouldn't let it slide in all other circles.

Thats what i think anyway.

after all it's only a consonant away from a Star Trek buff LOL.

"Star Teching across the universe......"

Have to say Natural Nails i didn't think of it that way ....lol

Ok Geeks and Geekettes and I am not being flippant here,
now I am guilty of referring to us in some of the posts as Techies, but thats because it' amongst ourselfs...........As in Geeks, mates, or pals or chums or the like.............But I dont refere in a professional formal way to us as Techies, we are Nail Technicians.....
None who ever called my shop has asked for the Techie..........they always ask for the Nail Technician...............
But on a happy ending you can all call me what you like, just not before 8 am in the morning lol xxxxxx

I agree 1000% with you Geeg... it is frustrating, and offensive!

However, this might be worse........ GET this one.......

sometimes I've been called:

"Nail Girl"

Arrrgh! Horrendous! Offensive! Frustrating! Demeaning!

I have to laugh though--- at the "Techie" description---

made me think of (Star) "Trekkie"! LOLOLOL

Although many great strides occur in relation to the respect and professionalism that Nail Technicians give and deserve... unfortunately I feel we may have a way to go before we make our permanent, professional place in the world...

I used to say that "I am a Therapist" when someone asked "what I do for a living"--- however,now I tell them that I am a Nail Technician- and proudly hold my head high.

I don't hesitate for a second to correct someone when they use the wrong words to describe my profession or introduce me to someone...

after all, you can say anything with a smile!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back