Maternity leave, how does your salon financially stay afloat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all just a short one today I'm asking for failure and success stories when the owner has gone on maternity leave?

I have been off 2 weeks and the books are booking shocking. I'm scared that clients only want me!! .....And will wait for me to come back.

Well that won't pay my staff that I've employed to cover the work I've had in and busted a gut builfing for 2 years.

I just hope we have hit a temporary quiet dip in footfall [emoji44]

Any advise and words of wisdom would be great, I thought it was too good to be true 2 years of getting busier every month and now this........

I don't have a magic pot to 'find ' money either.

x

This is an interesting question which I am also interested in.. sorry to jump onto your thread! I don’t have children & i’m not sure that I will, but a massive part of my decision if it ever comes down to one, will be financial. I work alone so would clearly have to have time off and eventually cut down hours etc & I always read about you guys going on maternity leave and I think “how do they keep their business going?” I think it’s great that you can do both & I really hope that your clients come back soon so that you can enjoy your time with your baby for as long as possible or at least as long as you originally planned. X

This is an interesting question which I am also interested in.. sorry to jump onto your thread! I don’t have children & i’m not sure that I will, but a massive part of my decision if it ever comes down to one, will be financial. I work alone so would clearly have to have time off and eventually cut down hours etc & I always read about you guys going on maternity leave and I think “how do they keep their business going?” I think it’s great that you can do both & I really hope that your clients come back soon so that you can enjoy your time with your baby for as long as possible or at least as long as you originally planned. X
Thankyou, I totally get what your saying. I just have no idea what's going wrong [emoji26]

I'd be i interested in hearing too as I'd like to be hopefully (i know you cabt plan these things) be preg this time next year, i run a salon hair/nails/brows on my own too and i keep putting off worried what may happen, I've had the salon 5years so a very steady clientele, based in middle of a little town where shops are situated, I'm still 5years on getting new clientele through the door so buisness is always on the rise. I'd plan on having month off but like i say you never know how things work out.

Is your manager actively managing the business or just opening up and supervising the staff?
When someone rings and asks to book in with you, what are they told? Are they being encouraged to book in with someone else?
Ask someone you trust to ring up or to call in and see what reception they get. A mystery shopper type scenario.

You need to entice clients to book in now and not wait for you to be available. Maybe say to clients (that normally see you), that you’re running a special offer for loyal clients and if they book in with X on X day (obviously a quiet day), they can have a free luxury conditioning treatment, mini hair up, mini make-up, gift size luxury hair mask or whatever you want to offer.

Is your manager actively managing the business or just opening up and supervising the staff?
When someone rings and asks to book in with you, what are they told? Are they being encouraged to book in with someone else?
Ask someone you trust to ring up or to call in and see what reception they get. A mystery shopper type scenario.

You need to entice clients to book in now and not wait for you to be available. Maybe say to clients (that normally see you), that you’re running a special offer for loyal clients and if they book in with X on X day (obviously a quiet day), they can have a free luxury conditioning treatment, mini hair up, mini make-up, gift size luxury hair mask or whatever you want to offer.
Great idea thankyou.

Well, so far she's been as much use as a chocolate teapot. I'm still doing all management apart from opening and closing. I need her to really step up, we have a meeting next week and I'll say unless the place is on fire I just need daily figures ....that's it [emoji85]

I worked on my own full time with a part time therapist . when I went on maternity leave I literally didn't make a penny from the salon she went on to work full time whilst I was away which covered all the bills to keep the salon afloat. after 10 weeks I went back to work part time . I'm now on to baby no 2 and working 1 half days a week I don't make much but I know once my children and older I will go back to work full time so for now I'm happy just plodding on

Before you went on mat leave did you try introducing your regular clients to “this amazing hairdresser “ who will take care of you while im away, that would surely make them book in and feel comfortable while your away?

Before you went on mat leave did you try introducing your regular clients to “this amazing hairdresser “ who will take care of you while im away, that would surely make them book in and feel comfortable while your away?

Yes deffo did this! Got everyone excited, some took the bait.....others not so. I'm hoping it's a quiet spell [emoji51]

Aww hope it goes ok xoxo

Hi all just a short one today I'm asking for failure and success stories when the owner has gone on maternity leave?

I have been off 2 weeks and the books are booking shocking. I'm scared that clients only want me!! .....And will wait for me to come back.

Well that won't pay my staff that I've employed to cover the work I've had in and busted a gut builfing for 2 years.

I just hope we have hit a temporary quiet dip in footfall [emoji44]

Any advise and words of wisdom would be great, I thought it was too good to be true 2 years of getting busier every month and now this........

I don't have a magic pot to 'find ' money either.

x

I’ve gone to places expecting to be booked in with the manager that I’ve spoken to after asking them to do it and arrived and plopped into a chair with anyone that’s available.

I’m not even that bothered by it but if they said it would be with someone else I would be happier about it. ‘I think you would really get on with so and so, she has a similar style and would work great for you while I’m away.’ Make it personal. Match clients to stylists based on their skills and personalities. Then before they leave, be overconfident, open the book and say ‘you will be due for x on x date, oh and great, so and so is available. Shall we book that now? I’d recommend getting booked in now as while I’m off the girls (or boys!) are going to be very busy and I don’t want you missing out.’

Latest posts

Back