Maternity leave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemgem55

Reaction score
Typical isn't it, currently on maternity leave after having my daughter at the beginning of May and I'm being inundated with enquiries! I'm self employed and only been working part time on beauty alongside my full time job and it is making me think maybe the business is there to make the jump and go full time - scary!

I am loving being a mummy but am finding it hard to turn away business, may have to bring my little one in as an apprentice with me!

x

Sent from my GT540 using SalonGeek

Hi GemGem,
I know how you feel but I haven't even had my baby yet...!!!
I am currently 6mths pregnant and due in September and at the moment I am soooo busy!!! On one hand I really want to fit everyone in and earn really good money but on the other I'm completely shattered!!!
I already work for myself and have done for 8yrs, I relocated my salon to my home last year to cut overheads and allow me start a family, never thought I would still be so busy!!
I am very concerned about how much time I am going to be able to take off after the baby???
In my experience if you are good at what you do you will always be busy, I can honestly say in the 8yrs of working for myself I have been busy every day!!!
If I were you I would give it ago!! What have you really got to lose??
Good luck with whatever you decide to do xxx

Ladies what do you do when you've just had your baby. I mean do your clients wait for you or go elsewhere? Do they come back?!
I'm building my business up nicely & have a growing client base however next year hopefully want to try for a baby but worried about loosing clients??

Ladies what do you do when you've just had your baby. I mean do your clients wait for you or go elsewhere? Do they come back?!
I'm building my business up nicely & have a growing client base however next year hopefully want to try for a baby but worried about loosing clients??

I worked mobile up until the last month of pregnancy, I took 14 months off to look after my daughter, in that time my clients had to go elsewhere but since I've gone back to it nearly all my previous clients have come back to me, as the other person said if your good at what you do you will always be busy, I had to do what was right for me at the time, which in my opinion was to spend the precious time with my daughter, I'm so glad I did :)

I have just started mobile part time around my other jobs, to hopefully work for myself full time, and I too have thought about this problem occuring, it would be lovely to have time off with ur baby, but its a tricky one! Could u possibly set 1 day/evening and try to fill that time with clients, ie a Thursday ready for the weekend? I do know ur allowed 10 keep in touch with work days, so really u'd be allowed 10 days to work whilst still on mat leave (u'd have to seek proper advise on the rules of this tho) xx

My regulars were really understanding and have either waited for me to start up again or have had just one appointment elsewhere if for waxing. I have just started doing the odd hour here and there just for regulars and as I work from home its not interfering with my daughter. I'm very lucky in that my husband is self employed and can therefore work his job around being with little one whilst I'm doing an appointment, I'm liking the hour of catch up with clients and i know I'm earning a little bit extra to spend on my daughter (and coffee and cake with the mummies!!)

Sent from my GT540 using SalonGeek

My regulars were really understanding and went elsewhere until i was ready. I managed to keep my favourite ones and did them when the little one was asleep. They didn't mind and were really grateful. He's 5 months old now and I'm starting to do more clients - I too was full time and did beauty part time so my maternity pay isn't leaving me much room to breath I need to do beauty to get by.
Have you got a partner to help you or can your family help? My other half gets home at 5:30 so I try to do clients then xx

Latest posts

Back