Maternity leave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eloise86

Eloise86
Reaction score
Hi guys... so I’m now 27 weeks pregnant... I’ve started to get swollen ankles and really really tired. (Not sleeping paticularly well atm either.)
I’ve had to cut my days to 9 hours with a lunch break and cut my late evening to two a week. This is having a knock on effect with the amount of clients I can do. I have got another colleague who only does school hours that can help out with the odd client but she can’t do everyone I turn away as she has her own clients. I’m finding it so hard to say no as my salon is only a year old and financially I need the money. I need to think of mine and my unborn babies health but I’m so scared of losing clients that I’ve worked so hard to follow me from my previous salon. I just need some reassurance as I catastrophise (if that’s a word) and think it’ll be the end of my new salon, we won’t be able to pay our mortgage if I lose everyone and so on. I just need some reassurance from ladies who have done it and it’s been ok.
I’m having 14 weeks off and when I come back I’ll be cutting my days to part time anyway. I’m just so worried.

Are you solo in your own salon? I would choose a stylist that your truly believe in, feel has similar style to yours, and come to an agreement with them during your leave with pricing your clients and etc. Your clients are more apt to stay yours if you figure this out for them - let them meet this stylist while with you so they can get acquainted. 14Wks is a long leave for hairstylists - so you will most likely have a few lost clients. but if you keep them in the *know* and connect them with someone that is fully expecting to help out and "give them back" at a certain date - it will most likely work in your favor. And the ones that you dont have time for when you become part time, will have a stylist they are used to by then.
As for the pregnancy symptoms - dont push yourself too far. it wont benefit anyone. remember to put your feet up as much as you can, sit down as much as you can, eat healthy fulfilling meals for energy and cut your hours down a bit.

Hi there, thank you for your reply! I’m now nearly 32 weeks and I’ve had to cancel a couple of late evening clients. Only one didn’t re book and I don’t think was impressed but then again when I come back to work if little one is ill I need understanding clients so it might work better to not have her as a client. 14 weeks here in the uk is definitely not a long maternity leave, I mean 1 in 4 has a c section and you’re not allowed to drive and do lots of things for 12 weeks if you need to have one. Here in the uk you get 9 months maternity allowance of self employed and if employed you get maternity pay for 9 months with the option of having a further 3 months without pay where they still have to keep your job open. I’m self employed and run a salon from my back garden and a friend rents a chair from me. I also have another friend who is going to do the same to accommodate my clients while I’m on leave. I physically can’t do the volume of clients that I do now once I’m back but I do want most of them back and they know and understand this and have terms and conditions contracts. I feel a lot better knowing the majority of clients are staying here while I’m off and I’m already re booking them back in my diary ready in October once I come back. It’s still extremely daunting though, I mean I’m coming back to work to pay for my childcare and not have much spare after. In June I start to cut down even more so I’ve only got a couple of [emoji51][emoji30] weeks left before things start to calm down xxxxxx

Oh my! Now I wish I lived in the UK! I'm from the US....and we get MAYBE 6-9weeks (12 if youre lucky, but 3 of those being unpaid). And if youre self employed you get nothing unless youve planned well for yourself. Im glad its all working out for you!

Oh my! Now I wish I lived in the UK! I'm from the US....and we get MAYBE 6-9weeks (12 if youre lucky, but 3 of those being unpaid). And if youre self employed you get nothing unless youve planned well for yourself. Im glad its all working out for you!

I’m sure America leads the way in other things, but yes we are fortunate here in the uk regards maternity. I won’t know how well it’s all working out til I get back to work [emoji51]. It certainly is very daunting. Nothing scares me more about motherhood than being able to keep our mortgage xxxxxx

If you're going to be cutting down days when you come back from having bub, this may be the way to weed out the less understanding clients you don't want to deal with when you have to cancel if bub is sick etc.
I've been solo now for 5 years and just started.back today after having my second baby.
Own your hours. Make it clear to your clients that these are the hours you will take appointments and if they want you to do their hair then they will need to book ahead.
The biggest thing I've learnt so far is you have to be bossy to be your own boss. You have to lay down boundaries and you have to be strong. That goes for hours you work, prices, everything. Clients can be lovely and we love them and want to go to the moon and back for them. But for the most part when you give an inch they take a mile.

Our job is hard. It's extremely hard while pregnant. I worked up to 39 weeks and 4 days with my first (doing 6 days a week). It was hell. I promised myself I wouldn't do it again and I didn't. I finished at 38 weeks with my second doing one day a week and looking after my toddler.

Behave the way you want to be treated. Treat yourself with the respect you expect from your clients and you will get it back from them.

All the best with your pregnancy and birth. You take care of yourself!!!

If you're going to be cutting down days when you come back from having bub, this may be the way to weed out the less understanding clients you don't want to deal with when you have to cancel if bub is sick etc.
I've been solo now for 5 years and just started.back today after having my second baby.
Own your hours. Make it clear to your clients that these are the hours you will take appointments and if they want you to do their hair then they will need to book ahead.
The biggest thing I've learnt so far is you have to be bossy to be your own boss. You have to lay down boundaries and you have to be strong. That goes for hours you work, prices, everything. Clients can be lovely and we love them and want to go to the moon and back for them. But for the most part when you give an inch they take a mile.

Our job is hard. It's extremely hard while pregnant. I worked up to 39 weeks and 4 days with my first (doing 6 days a week). It was hell. I promised myself I wouldn't do it again and I didn't. I finished at 38 weeks with my second doing one day a week and looking after my toddler.

Behave the way you want to be treated. Treat yourself with the respect you expect from your clients and you will get it back from them.

All the best with your pregnancy and birth. You take care of yourself!!!

Thank you so much for your reply. You are so right. It was very hard to say no to clients before I was pregnant, unless you had an occasion you needed time off for they would look at you like ‘well what else are you going to do?’
Ppl are much more understanding now I’m pregnant. (Bar the one who I had to re schedule who hasn’t re booked).
I will find it much easier to say no when little one is here. I worked like a dog for the last 5 years as self employed to keep my customers, coming in early, finishing late, working on days off... I just think it’s a shock for them me now saying I can’t. (Even though when I was employed for the 5 years previous to that they all managed to come in between 9am - 5pm). It’s my own fault I’ve spoilt them. I’m just such a worrier. My wage once I’m back will mostly be covering the childcare costs which I have to pay a month up front for. It scares me it’s a whole new world. Thank you for your advice xx

Latest posts

Back