Maternity Leave

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acwhiteh

Reaction score
Hi guys - just wanted to ask a quick question - how long do you have to be in full-time employment before you are entitled to maternity leave? Is it 6 months or a year or does it depend on the job and if you go back after the baby's born do you have to do the same hours or can you go back part-time??????????

Thought some of you geeks would know as I've heard a lot of 'congratulations' being posted!!!

Clarexxx

Hi

Have a read through this article on babycentr.co.uk - I've found it to be one of the most informative.

Basically you are entitled to maternity leave, however long you've been there, but any form of pay in materntiy leave and how long is a differnt matter.

And you can request to go back part-time, but they are not obliged to allow it. However they cannot refuse without reasonable reason.

In my work place, they leave your job open for you for a year I think. You have to let them know if you will be returning or not at the end of the 6 month leave and you have to tell them if you're going to take an extra 6 months off and come back to work.

You need to have worked for the same employer for 26 weeks before the end of the 15th week before your baby is due to be entitled to the extra 6 months (by law - however if an employer chooses to give better terms that is up to them).

And any longer than 6 months leave and they do not have to give you the same role back, just to re-employ you.

Latest posts

Back