Maths assessment for course entry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2lashes

Reaction score
I am looking to start a beauty therapy course and have seen that i will need to do a maths and english assessment. The english part doesnt bother me but i am hopeless at maths! I'm worried this will ruin my chances.
Has anyone else done this and can you shed any light on what to expect? Difficulty level etc?
I should also add that I am 39 and I haven't done any type of studying/courses since I was 17 :-/.

Thanks.

it’s nothing to be worried about. If you’ll benefit from additional support and training it will be included in your course, free of charge. So don’t panic. You’ll need to feel confident with numbers as there’s a bit of maths in every job and you’ll need to work out colour mixology. There’s no “fail” here, only support for areas where confidence is lacking

I employ a non English native speaker who went to college to learn level 3 hairdressing. She had a very old level 2 hairdressing qualification and they didn’t assess her functional English and maths skills when she signed up for level 3. The upshot was that she failed her level 3 theory whilst gaining distinctions in her practicals - this meant that she didn’t get her certificate and had nothing to show for her adult learner loan.

We put her through a level 2 beauty apprenticeship and she was terrified of the mandatory English and maths training. However, her confidence improved immensely during her course as she got extra help and she passed level one functional maths and English. I am cross that she didn’t get an assessment before she did her hairdressing course. She hadn’t realised how much her poor functional skills were holding her back.

My daughter trained at 30 and was most miffed, with GCSE passes in both English and maths, to be told she’d also need to do an assessment as it was mandatory for her level 2 beauty apprenticeship. She considered her maths and English good enough but ahem “qualified” for extra support. Now she’s just finishing off a level 4 management qualification. Something that she’d never have considered a few years ago as studying had been quite a demoralising experience for her.

Face your fears and do it anyway! You’ve got nothing to worry about and everything to gain. All the best xx

Last edited:
As The Duchess says, lots of students need extra support with Maths (and English) and this is normally provided by the college.

However, there are lots of online courses to help you pass functional Maths Tests. Also, your local Adult Education Centre may provide free classes too.

Don’t worry, it will be fine. :)

it’s nothing to be worried about. If you’ll benefit from additional support and training it will be included in your course, free of charge. So don’t panic. You’ll need to feel confident with numbers as there’s a bit of maths in every job and you’ll need to work out colour mixology. There’s no “fail” here, only support for areas where confidence is lacking

I employ a non English native speaker who went to college to learn level 3 hairdressing. She had a very old level 2 hairdressing qualification and they didn’t assess her functional English and maths skills when she signed up for level 3. The upshot was that she failed her level 3 theory whilst gaining distinctions in her practicals - this meant that she didn’t get her certificate and had nothing to show for her adult learner loan.

We put her through a level 2 beauty apprenticeship and she was terrified of the mandatory English and maths training. However, her confidence improved immensely during her course as she got extra help and she passed level one functional maths and English. I am cross that she didn’t get an assessment before she did her hairdressing course. She hadn’t realised how much her poor functional skills were holding her back.

My daughter trained at 30 and was most miffed, with GCSE passes in both English and maths, to be told she’d also need to do an assessment as it was mandatory for her level 2 beauty apprenticeship. She considered her maths and English good enough but ahem “qualified” for extra support. Now she’s just finishing off a level 4 management qualification. Something that she’d never have considered a few years ago as studying had been quite a demoralising experience for her.

Face your fears and do it anyway! You’ve got nothing to worry about and everything to gain. All the best xx

Thank you so much for your response. My basic math knowledge is appalling so I will definitely need some extra help here and have started to look at some online stuff, there's no other way round it I guess than to learn! Fingers crossed I can do it as I feel this has also held me back. Thanks again! Xx

Latest posts

Back