Matrix 5RR + So Red?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BerksStylist

Reaction score
Beautiful-with-Burgundy.jpg

Part of my development for this year was to experiment with getting good strong reds and plums (not something i feel l'oreal majirel colours offer at mo.)
So my guinea pig (ha ha yes that's my own head) has been goaded into going burgundy red. Naturally about a base 7, no regrowth and a semi 6 all over.
I'm thinking to try out matrix - everyone here seems to love it - of 5RR with some So Red RV in and 10 vol? Sound ludicrous - please say!

:)

Here's how I would do this in Majirel (totally achievable in my opinion):
- Cleanse out the semi 6 with Effasor + 60ml warm water
- Mix Majirel 1/4 5 + 3/4 5.62 + 1/4 Red Mix tone + 75ml 20 vol
Apply to roots
- Mix Majirel 1 tube 5.62 + 1/4 Red Mix tone + 75ml 20vol + 15ml Warm Water
Take through immediately for 35 mins.

Here's why:
- The old semi colour will flatten the red, so it's best removed first.
- 5.62 will give you a red-violet colour reflecting.
- Adding red mix tone will add vibrancy- but don't add extra developer.
- Adding natural 5 to the roots mixture will give the colour extra depth to reach the true 5.62, since you are darkening the natural base (otherwise it could look wishy-washy).
- Don't add natural base to the lengths and ends colour or you reds will 'brown out'

The same rules apply to most other colour lines, but it would be cool if someone had a Matrix formula too!
:)

Extra tip: If you feel the red needs a more vibrancy or to adjust the tone slightly after rinsing, apply a red glaze at the basin e.g. Dialight 1/2 tube 5.66 + 3cm 4.20 + 6 vol

Hey, I think the matrix colour will work out great and give a great result. Definitely 10vol though I think as you are darkening the hair and not wanting any lift. I wouldn't recommend removing the artificial colour and then recolouring it, but i would use those colours given but again with 10vol (unless ofcourse resistant or grey hair is present) the molecules will still tint the hair and be permanent but you just won't end up with any root glare and will have a lovely shine from the hair plus it's less damaging :)

Sean Collins Hairdressing Glasgow

Ooo two options! Thanks guys, may post photos when I'm done! Contacted both l'oreal and matrix about doing a course with them - CK with L'oreal and no response - grrr

Matrix makes socolor 5 rv and 5 vr and they both are gorgeous. Def do 10 vol with it.

I think your choice of colour is good, the SR-RV will lift some of the semi out anyway so I too wouldn't remove the old colour.
Remember you can only use up to 15mls of the SR to 45mls of 5rr for scalp application.
I would probably change the formula slightly for the mid lengths and ends where you could increase the amount of the SR-RV as its off the scalp.
Although you have no regrowth the hair at the roots will be easier to colour and the heat from the scalp will naturally help it along, the mid lengths and ends may struggle a bit hence why I would increase the SR-RV ratio.
For refreshing next time colour sync HD/RV is gorgeous and really vibrant :)

Latest posts

Back