Matrix vs Wella?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles77

Reaction score
I am branching out on my own soon and starting my own one-woman studio. I am considering switching colour brands. THe salon I am currently with uses Matrix SoColor (and ColorSync etc). I know the matrix line well and I do like it. But I keep hearing great things about Wella. I am wondering if perhaps I should switch? It might be fun to try something new?

For those of you that have worked with both, how do they compare? I guess most important for my clients are grey coverage and color longevity? How do these brands compare in the reds? I have a lot of clients with red/copper. I have found Socolor to be fine in this domain. Of course it could be better, but hey, reds are always difficult, lol.

I never use wella for my reds and coppers always l'Oreal majirel sorry iv never used matrix but I do think if your branching out on your own I would stick with what you no for the first six months at least just get your business up and running clients coming regular just get out there do your thing first before putting more stress on your self having to learn a whole new colour house. Do you have a rep in your area that will offer in house training for wella weather they will come out for a 1 man salon I don't no I could be wrong! Hope this helps sorry I can't give you much advise on the 2 colour houses iv only used used wella but like I say I don't rate there reds and coppers at all x

Thanks Beckstar. That is good advise.

I did contact a Wella representative and they are able to give me some 'support'. Not really sure if it is full-on in house training or not. But so far they've been great to talk to.

Would still love to hear what others think about how these two brands compare.

I never use wella for my reds and coppers always l'Oreal majirel sorry iv never used matrix but I do think if your branching out on your own I would stick with what you no for the first six months at least just get your business up and running clients coming regular just get out there do your thing first before putting more stress on your self having to learn a whole new colour house. Do you have a rep in your area that will offer in house training for wella weather they will come out for a 1 man salon I don't no I could be wrong! Hope this helps sorry I can't give you much advise on the 2 colour houses iv only used used wella but like I say I don't rate there reds and coppers at all x

Im so glad to see someone else feels the same as me about the reds and coppers in wella ! . So much more of a better choice for them in l'oreal ...x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

We are predominantly Matrix but carry a small amount of wella and have just brought in fudge , ...matrix is by far the best alround good value colour.....but I like to have an option due to not one colour suits everyone's hair

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I really love the wella shades.
I find they have great coverage for grey hair and a good colour choice.
The hilift shades are phenominal i think

Matrix have bigger tubes and definitely better reds x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were matrix but just found the colors too dark, coverage was ok, but we have just invested into Fudge color system about 5 months ago, and it is amazing, it is like wella and loreal to be fair, with the numbering system, the choice of reds coppers and violets is massive.

Clients love the shine, coverage and life of the color, price to me in salon is a lot less than matrix and l'oreal, we get free training in salon, infact the training is brilliant and is very simple.

Latest posts

Back