Matte black Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlalovesjay

Reaction score
How do you make the Matt black effect with shellac?

Hi i did shellac as normal then after curing topcoat, and wiping i used a white block to take the shine off, then it's matt black x

Marking for later as I would love to know also.

You need to do 2 topcoats instead of the usual one, remove inhibition layer. Then buff lightly with a white block to remove the shine. x

That is brill thank you all :) x

I would recommend just one coat of CND Shellac topcoat and use the green side of the glossing buffer and buff the shine off after you've removed the tacky layer! :)

I would recommend just one coat of CND Shellac topcoat and use the green side of the glossing buffer and buff the shine off after you've removed the tacky layer! :)

But are you not at risk of buffing through the topcoat if you only use one coat? xx

Not if you use the Green side of the CND Glossing buffer! :)

A white block like what you recommend is very abrasive compared the the glossing buffer

Not if you use the Green side of the CND Glossing buffer! :)

A white block like what you recommend is very abrasive compared the the glossing buffer

Thanks.:)
I don't have one but shall definitely be purchasing one with my next order. Will save on topcoat too.

The way I was doing it before was recommended by a few fellow geeks a while ago, so that's the only way I've ever known. xx

Also removal will take longer as your Acetone has got to travel down two layers of top coat :)

Glossing buffer is the best for matting!! You can buff away not worrying about going thought and taking the colour off!!

Crystal Nails sell a matte black & matte Red gel polish! They look great. They also do a top coat for gel polish that matte effect so you can make any colour matte or make effects with it! X

Much cheaper and easier to buy a glossing buffer IMO :)

Opi do a Matt top coat. I use it once completed the whole shellac process from start to finish. Then if the client wants the shine again they can remove the Matt coat with acetone free remover. Much better than buffing I say :)

OPI Gel Color also has a matte top coat. I use it after the whole shellac process. I find it much easier than buffing. Here's a pic of a set I did using it.

Attachments

• Matte-Shellac-RockRoyalty.jpg
    Matte-Shellac-RockRoyalty.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 6,950
Cheaper to buy a buffer. :)

OPI Gel Color also has a matte top coat. I use it after the whole shellac process. I find it much easier than buffing. Here's a pic of a set I did using it.

Are you saying that you use OPI on top of Shellac? I'm not sure that's advisable. We're always taught not to mix systems.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I complete the full Shellac procedure first...then add the OPI...I don't use it instead of the Shellac top coat, not mixing at all

Hi,
I'm really stuck I have tried this opi matte top coat today and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong! It looked awful!
Is there a knack?
Help gratefully received!!
Xx

Latest posts

Back