Matte nails - thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb78

Reaction score
Hi all

I saw these advertised today and can't work out if I like them or not, but after posting on my salon FB page, it seems a lot of my followers do, so I'm trying to work out how you'd do them.

What do you think - they've been done with an OPI polish, but any thoughts on how else this look could be achieved... I use Shellac, LCN gel extensions and normal polish in my salon, but happy to purchase something else to achieve this look if need be??

Thoughts?? Thank you, x

Attachments

• matt nails.jpg
    matt nails.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,783
Great ideas to be found in the Shellac Lover's Group. But here's the info I believe you're looking for. It's known as the "Anna Technique".

Salon Geek - Shellac Matt

I did this with shellac, my client loved it will try to find pic. After wiping away sticky layer of the top coat get your koala buffer and buff away the shine with the smooth section when all is removed wipe over with scrub fresh, then reapply the top coat on tips to create the French effect, cure again and wipe off sticky layer! Xx

I believe that if you go over the top of Shellac top coat with the 1200 side of a koala buffer you get this effect as it takes the shine away, you could then go over the tip with top coat to get the french effect i should think, I am not 100% sure on this but i am sure i was shown this in my shellac training x

Fab - thanks folks :)

xx

sorry looks like we were all replying at the same time!!

Maybe you could use a matte top coat and a super glossy black?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Show us pictures once you do it! We like pictures. :biggrin:

I've done with shellac. Just do a slightly thicker top coat then buff that lovely shine off
The masquerade ones I have on now and it's been 9 days and still ok
Vicki xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337200741.459278.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1337200779.032789.jpg

I had seen a utube with matt and gloss back tried to get matt back top at beauty uk this weekend. Very difficult most have discontinued it lol did get one in the end tho xx

Sorry meant clear top coat in matt xx

For shellac / gel polish use a koala and buff the top coat for matte ,

For ones in pic
Clense and do french in top coat cure clense .

Normal polish paint black ,
Use matte top coat
Then shinny regular top coat for French.

iLife CND super shinny , and CND super matte.

Nubar all so have a nice matte top coat called something like for men.

Your black is lovely, is it only shellac that this can be achivied with?
No you can gently buff the top coat of any gel to make it matt.

I would think that 2 coats of top coat would be the best way to enure you have enough top coat on the nails to be able to buff a little and still have enough left to protect the colour layer.

Apparently the china glaze Matt top coat is really good I actually wondered if u could maybe
Cheat a little and use a patternd konad plate with the top coat over a glossy black nail. Obviously I know the topcoat wouldn't be konad but may not be bad as you more want the affect not colour. This is on normal nail polish btw obviously not shallac lol xxx

Omg simply loving these zmatte Black nails :Love:

I've done the shiny on Matt for ages now, I've a Matt topcoat (both asda and boots sell them) paint this topcoat over your colour then with a small bristle detail brush using normal topcoat do your design. Very effective with the darker hues.

Latest posts

Back