Mature student looking for training on the job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mature novice

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I started training at college last year on a part time VRQ and have now progressed onto the level 3 VRQ, ( i wish i had started with an NVQ as im finding that nobody seems to think much of the VRQ unfortunately, so i may need to start all over again) I volunteer part time in a salon but its not going as well as i hoped it would, i was told i would be given training and a column to do simple services to get me started but this hasnt yet materislised, all I'm getting to do is watch other stylists and sweep up. I realise this is better than nothing but i also feel like im getting nowhere! Today I did a trade test at another salon with a view to doing an apprenticeship but i was told I'm too old! I'm 36 and undergoing a career change and just need the chance to really get stuck in but I keep hearing the same story over and over again. I really don't want to give up! I love what I'm doing but need to learn so much more in a hands on setting! What can I do?
Thanks x

It's tough as you get older but never give up because it's hard. Keep knocking down those doors and an opportunity will come up at some point. Jan/Feb may not be the best time to be looking as a hard couple of months for some business. In the mean time keep sweeping the floor where you are and watch as much as you can. You don't realise how much you pick up unconsciously just by being in a salon. When you have free time at home get a block and practice practice practice. Up your skills so you have more to offer than someone else. Just don't give up. Good luck [emoji4]

Thank you James, I definitely won't give up! I just need the opportunity to prove myself in the areas I'm strong in and learn more about the ones I'm not so strong in yet.
What's your opinion on VRQ vs NVQ? So far I'm finding that salons either havnt heard of it or don't rate it much which is slightly on the frustrating side x

To be honest I have never heard of VRQ? I did an NVQ but have worked with many talented stylists who have neither. You just need to have great skills and be able to do good hair period. Practice makes perfect and don't get too hung up on things!

It's so old school to diss a vrq I find it the most frustrating thing ever! :mad: I have a vrq and I own my own salon!

Prepare for a rant...

The thing I've noticed about the people with the opinions on the difference between the nvq and the vrq is their all from a generation where there was only a nvq, the old one took about 5 years to complete! The ones with these views are sometimes current trainees who work under old school hairdressers who have it drummed into them that the nvq is the best or their the actual old school people who either have no nvq or did do the nvq for years and years, I personally completed the work for both the nvq AND the vrq level 3 & I can tell you for a fact there's hardly any difference! Both qualifications require all assessments to be done on live models (regardless of what anyone on here wants to argue about that) it's how I did it. The people who dismiss the vrq are under the impression that students are mollycoddled and handed the qualification for no hard work and have no salon experience which is not the case either because you need a placement & work at the college salon as part of the course. I know there are some people who qualify the course in college and shouldn't because their skills arnt great but it's the same in salon based with the nvq, I have seen it with my own eyes.

These people also need to take into consideration that 90% of the time now it's only 16 year olds that get offered an nvq anyone over 18 goes on a vrq

When I did my vrq's I had a placement and a Saturday job which then progressed into employment before I'd even finished my level 3, I worked every day off and every holiday (I have 3 children too so it was hard going looking back) my skill level was no different to any other hairdresser I worked with, if anything they'd get a bit snarky because I knew a lot more theorey than they did! I worked dam hard for my qualification and I'm proud of it, I hope that you will stay on the course and stand proudly behind your qualifications too!

Complete your course, try and encourage your friends or family to have a blowdry with you in the salon, keep nagging the current employer for clients untill they can't take it any more! There's one of two things going to happen then, they get rid of you (which is great you can go elsewhere or go mobile) or they'll give you clients :) win win lol

Sorry for the rant type post there but I hate it when a student feels like their hard work isn't worth anything!

Thanks I will persist.... I don't give up easy! X

It's so old school to diss a vrq I find it the most frustrating thing ever! :mad: I have a vrq and I own my own salon!

Prepare for a rant...

The thing I've noticed about the people with the opinions on the difference between the nvq and the vrq is their all from a generation where there was only a nvq, the old one took about 5 years to complete! The ones with these views are sometimes current trainees who work under old school hairdressers who have it drummed into them that the nvq is the best or their the actual old school people who either have no nvq or did do the nvq for years and years, I personally completed the work for both the nvq AND the vrq level 3 & I can tell you for a fact there's hardly any difference! Both qualifications require all assessments to be done on live models (regardless of what anyone on here wants to argue about that) it's how I did it. The people who dismiss the vrq are under the impression that students are mollycoddled and handed the qualification for no hard work and have no salon experience which is not the case either because you need a placement & work at the college salon as part of the course. I know there are some people who qualify the course in college and shouldn't because their skills arnt great but it's the same in salon based with the nvq, I have seen it with my own eyes.

These people also need to take into consideration that 90% of the time now it's only 16 year olds that get offered an nvq anyone over 18 goes on a vrq

When I did my vrq's I had a placement and a Saturday job which then progressed into employment before I'd even finished my level 3, I worked every day off and every holiday (I have 3 children too so it was hard going looking back) my skill level was no different to any other hairdresser I worked with, if anything they'd get a bit snarky because I knew a lot more theorey than they did! I worked dam hard for my qualification and I'm proud of it, I hope that you will stay on the course and stand proudly behind your qualifications too!

Complete your course, try and encourage your friends or family to have a blowdry with you in the salon, keep nagging the current employer for clients untill they can't take it any more! There's one of two things going to happen then, they get rid of you (which is great you can go elsewhere or go mobile) or they'll give you clients :) win win lol

Sorry for the rant type post there but I hate it when a student feels like their hard work isn't worth anything!
Ditto everything above! Have taught on both courses and had really talented and really weak students on both and students from both qualifications that have since gone on to open their own salons! You will get out of it what you put in so just try and do as many models as you possibly can. My junior has told me tales of her class mates gloating cos they had got passed on their asymmetric cut by doing a side fringe whereas she did a 'frankie' style cut which is a lot more challenging. It really annoys me but at the end of the day those who did the bare minimum are going to come really unstuck when they have to do a trade test and compete for stylists jobs!

Hi thanks for your messages of encouragement guys I really appreciate it. It's true what you say about the theory side of things. I was chatting to some of the girls about some upcoming exams and they didn't have clue what I was talking about, for ecample the Hair structure all way down to the atoms and learning all the medical/Latin names for everything ( Ipassed with 100% score on all my exams so far BTW). Oh and I can do the Frankie cut no ptoblem :)
The thing I think I'm struggling with VRQ vs NVQ is that I'm the only one in my setting that's done VRQ and done really well at college with high scores and distinctions etc do my confidence was good, until now. Maybe that's just it, other people's negativity (and my age probably more so) has thrown me a little bit......great advice though guys thank you, I shall persist!! I don't give up easy, I just need to keep looking for somewhere I can blossom xx

If more of us stood up to these old way thinkers the attitude would change, it's just a shame it knocks people's confidence the way it does tho (not me mind it makes me more hell bent on proving a point lol) well done on your progress so far :) keep up the good work :)

Hi everyone, I started training at college last year on a part time VRQ and have now progressed onto the level 3 VRQ, ( i wish i had started with an NVQ as im finding that nobody seems to think much of the VRQ unfortunately, so i may need to start all over again) I volunteer part time in a salon but its not going as well as i hoped it would, i was told i would be given training and a column to do simple services to get me started but this hasnt yet materislised, all I'm getting to do is watch other stylists and sweep up. I realise this is better than nothing but i also feel like im getting nowhere! Today I did a trade test at another salon with a view to doing an apprenticeship but i was told I'm too old! I'm 36 and undergoing a career change and just need the chance to really get stuck in but I keep hearing the same story over and over again. I really don't want to give up! I love what I'm doing but need to learn so much more in a hands on setting! What can I do?
Thanks x
OMG im 47 and just enrolled at college for level 2 hairdressing, felt really excited then I was told I have to find my own hair placement and what a shock, im terrified incase no salon will take me as I have no experience on hair washing , dye mixing ,, how am I going to walk into a salon and try and persuade them that I want to be a hairdresser at 47 who is having a career change

OMG im 47 and just enrolled at college for level 2 hairdressing, felt really excited then I was told I have to find my own hair placement and what a shock, im terrified incase no salon will take me as I have no experience on hair washing , dye mixing ,, how am I going to walk into a salon and try and persuade them that I want to be a hairdresser at 47 who is having a career change
Same way as you would if you were 16! You just go in and ask, I'd much prefer a mature junior to a teenage one!

Don't forget also your offering to work a whole day for free! No one would turn that down!

Same way as you would if you were 16! You just go in and ask, I'd much prefer a mature junior to a teenage one!
I walked the streets today handing in CV. most were taking 16-24 apprenticeships as I can only work at weekends as I have a full time job to keep all the bills payed :(

I walked the streets today handing in CV. most were taking 16-24 apprenticeships as I can only work at weekends as I have a full time job to keep all the bills payed :(
Oh sorry I thought you meant a placement like day release from college

Oh sorry I thought you meant a placement like day release from college
no unfortunately I have to keep working during the day and go to college on a evening and also work weekends in a salon as soon as I get a placementxxx

Latest posts

Back