Me or a chiropodist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLUSKERM

Reaction score
:sad:Hello,
I did a manicure and pedicure on someone which normally takes me an hour to hour and a half, it took me over two hours, because her finger nails and toes were so thick , i said i would file them , but she wanted them cut really short on her toes but to be honest didnt feel comfortable doing it. She said she had been to the chiropodist 4 weeks before , i tried to trim as much as i could and filed the rest. She kept saying youll have to cut a bit more off that one, but it was getting really close to her skin and it was really thin . What do i do, do a refuse to cut them , i just dont feel capable of tackling this, only did my course a few months ago. Its the first problem i have come across all the others have been a pleasure, it felt more like a medical proceedure than a luxury experience what do i do?

I don't mind smoothing the edges with my file but i am not trained for cutting toe nails...what if i cut them wrong and she ends up with ingrown nails..??...not for me.

Hi, if she wants her nails thinned down, they she should go back to her Chiropodist. They are trained and insured to use their electric files.

I don't mind smoothing the edges with my file but i am not trained for cutting toe nails...what if i cut them wrong and she ends up with ingrown nails..??...not for me.
Hello , i have decided that i am not going to cut toe nails only file, if they are up to a certain thickness filing would be okay, your right , i dont fancy being blamed for an ingrown toenail. If she calls me again i am goint to say that i dont cut toe nails only file .

You did the right thing, only cutting as far as you were comfortable. I work at a podiatrist's office part time and I have witnessed just how short they cut their patients nails. I've seen the patient's wince and even make a little "umph" when the podiatrist's cut, but if I were to cut them that short, they'd have my head! I will cut their nails, to a point. I trim them to a comfortable length and file to shape. If the nail is incredibly thick or embedded in a lot of callused skin I won't get "agressive" as the doctors would, I refer them back to the doctors for a follow up visit.

And yes, it is a medical procedure! They call it Palliative Care or Routine Nail Care.

I'm always amazed at how short podiatrists/chiropodists cut toe nails. I can only presume it's because the older generation who have this procedure done because they can't manage to do their own nails, need to have them last as long as poss before another appointment.

Yes this client kept asking me to go shorter with the toe nails, and she is a diabetic,i was terrified of catching her with the clippers, she kept saying i was too gentle(she had cracked heels the works). Not doing that again, it was the hardest work i had done for my money!

Latest posts

Back