Measuring for Hairdressing scissors

Terese

Hi
My daughter is doing her level 2 hairdressing over the next coming year - can anyone recomend a good entry level scissor and also more importantly how do you measure for your scissors and good brands

How would she know if shes a 5 a 5.5 or 6. I know most trainees use a 6, she has been doing hairdressing for a year so I would like to buy her a new pair of scissors

Also, if anyone is looking for an apprentice in the Gloucestershire area, she would love to hear from you:)

Mich77

Nerdy Geek!
Hi,

There is no hard and fast rule about the size of the scissors....it's all about how comfortable they are, and how they feel in your hand.
So, I would suggest you go along to a Capital Hair and beauty or Sally's or some other wholesaler with your daughter, and let her try a few pairs out, and see what she thinks and see what she feels comfortable holding!
HTH's :)

persianista

Banned
Salon international is in September, all the scissor companies will be there, so it is a great place to buy a pair, plus they do show discounts.

Penners

Its a personal taste thing. I use a pair of 4 1/2 " always have. I tend to cut myself with longer ones ( nasty little v shaped cut!!) Good luck to her - I went to college in Gloucester - quite a few years ago now! They used to run a trip to Salon International. :)

Tess Warwick

Hi
My daughter is doing her level 2 hairdressing over the next coming year - can anyone recomend a good entry level scissor and also more importantly how do you measure for your scissors and good brands

How would she know if shes a 5 a 5.5 or 6. I know most trainees use a 6, she has been doing hairdressing for a year so I would like to buy her a new pair of scissors

Also, if anyone is looking for an apprentice in the Gloucestershire area, she would love to hear from you:)
Hi Teresa,

As you progress in your career you'll make choices about the tools you use.
I use a 4 and a half inch offset pair of scissors for general hairdressing but a 6 inch pair for barbering.

I would suggest a 5 inch pair to start with and then decide. I have to be honest that i can't stop buying scissors ... the nicer the better :) It's personal preference. Go with what you feel comfortable with.

Siansy

Thats a great idea Persianista, Salon International has a huge range and also a wonderful inspiring experience for trainees.
I trained with a 5 , but remember them getting blunt very quickly , then moved onto another 5 better brand and the onto a 4.5 Jowells which i love so much have two pairs. or me I love the feel that they are small and feel like an extension of my fingers.The lady who cuts my hair uses 6 s and they seem huge but work for her.