Measuring for Hairdressing scissors

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terese

Reaction score
Hi
My daughter is doing her level 2 hairdressing over the next coming year - can anyone recomend a good entry level scissor and also more importantly how do you measure for your scissors and good brands

How would she know if shes a 5 a 5.5 or 6. I know most trainees use a 6, she has been doing hairdressing for a year so I would like to buy her a new pair of scissors

Also, if anyone is looking for an apprentice in the Gloucestershire area, she would love to hear from you:)

Hi,

There is no hard and fast rule about the size of the scissors....it's all about how comfortable they are, and how they feel in your hand.
So, I would suggest you go along to a Capital Hair and beauty or Sally's or some other wholesaler with your daughter, and let her try a few pairs out, and see what she thinks and see what she feels comfortable holding!
HTH's :)

Salon international is in September, all the scissor companies will be there, so it is a great place to buy a pair, plus they do show discounts.

Its a personal taste thing. I use a pair of 4 1/2 " always have. I tend to cut myself with longer ones ( nasty little v shaped cut!!) Good luck to her - I went to college in Gloucester - quite a few years ago now! They used to run a trip to Salon International. :)

Hi
My daughter is doing her level 2 hairdressing over the next coming year - can anyone recomend a good entry level scissor and also more importantly how do you measure for your scissors and good brands

How would she know if shes a 5 a 5.5 or 6. I know most trainees use a 6, she has been doing hairdressing for a year so I would like to buy her a new pair of scissors

Also, if anyone is looking for an apprentice in the Gloucestershire area, she would love to hear from you:)
Hi Teresa,

As you progress in your career you'll make choices about the tools you use.
I use a 4 and a half inch offset pair of scissors for general hairdressing but a 6 inch pair for barbering.

I would suggest a 5 inch pair to start with and then decide. I have to be honest that i can't stop buying scissors ... the nicer the better :) It's personal preference. Go with what you feel comfortable with.

Thats a great idea Persianista, Salon International has a huge range and also a wonderful inspiring experience for trainees.
I trained with a 5 , but remember them getting blunt very quickly , then moved onto another 5 better brand and the onto a 4.5 Jowells which i love so much have two pairs. or me I love the feel that they are small and feel like an extension of my fingers.The lady who cuts my hair uses 6 s and they seem huge but work for her.

Latest posts

Back