Media help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mum

Reaction score
Hi all you passionate techs.
I read the thread about the piece in Best this morning and was just as 'steaming'! As Geeg has said I am on the case with them and also several higher circulation mags.

Unfortunately, bad news makes better press but these journalists also genuinely want good information and advice. In my experience, the majority of the beauty press have had bad experiences at the hands of 'the lesser trained tech' ( a proliferating breed, usually found in dusty, smelly and generally unpleasant environments) and are very quick to believe the horror stories.

I give several interviews each month but usually to a different type of mag (see this months Marie Claire and Tatler, that I know of) but must admit to being found on the pages of Hello too!

I don't think I have ever received a negative treatment of my quotes, tips etc but know this happens in many circumstances. I can't possibly read every mag but really do want to help to get a better reputation for the truly professional industry.

If anyone reads a piece, article, quote that puts the industry in a bad light please let me know. I know many of the beauty journalists and if `i don't know them they certainly know me! I can get to these people and try to put them straight.

If you read a horror, PM me on this site or e-mail me ([email protected]) or even phone (07710 905529).

If you're reading this and thinking Marian who??!! you can see the sort of thing `i do by looking at my agency site (streeterslondon.com) then Nail Technician. These journalists are well aware of this work and all my press!!

Thanks in advance as I'm sure many of you will help.
Marian

Don't worry Marian i will certainly let you know when anything bad is said about the nail industry. It certainly makes me mad when you get a few people who are poorly trained who are let loose on the unsuspecting public that give us all a bad name.

I myself suffered a bad set of nails through insufficient training. I ended up with beaus lines on both thumbs caused by over buffing. Also i ended up with a longitudinal furrow down the centre of each thumb which has never gone through the enhancements being too curved. (know that now i've had the training!!)

This did put me off for years even going to a nail salon, but as i have always loved nails decided to find out for myself, and have never looked back. I have had to re-educate my clients through bad experiences that they have had in the past, which i have to say is the thing which hods most people back, it is so frustrating!!

It's certainly good to know that we have people like you Marian and many others who will do what they can to stop this getting worse. It's also due to this wonderful site, thanks Sam.:D

Hi All

I'm bumping this back up again, mostly as a reaction to the 'steaming' thread and the damage this type of article causes to every technician.

This is a fantastic site (congratulations and thanks to Samuel, Samantha and Gigi) and the feeling of support it generates is unsurpassed. The general sharing of information and help it provides is immeasurable and is making the industry a better place.

But.... (you knew it was coming!) your new clients and the growth of your business comes from the media. The reputation of the industry in general is in the hands of the beauty press, they are mostly in London and getting a bad deal on so many occassions.

Even some techs that work in the same field as me that have a relationship with the journos still do such bad work how can the writers find out what is good and acceptable and what is appalling. (I am pointing fingers at no one specifically but I am sure Sam and Gigi will have good idea). Shouting that you are fantastic is sometimes what it takes but the shouters are found out in the end and don't last long.

This is a bit of a soap box of mine (you may have guessed) but I hear and see so much from the other side (wrecked celebs, models and journos nails and rubbish information)

If you read something bad (in the trade press too) tell them and let me know if you need any help!

Marian

mum said:
Even some techs that work in the same field as me that have a relationship with the journos still do such bad work how can the writers find out what is good and acceptable and what is appalling. (I am pointing fingers at no one specifically but I am sure Sam and Gigi will have good idea). Shouting that you are fantastic is sometimes what it takes but the shouters are found out in the end and don't last long.
Dear Marian,

Heres a thought - why dont some of the more established training companies offer to do demo days for journos to demonstrate the how a manicure or nail enhancment service should be performed, step by step and this will show the hygiene standards the majority of us techies work to - then this would put their fears and misconcecptions to bed?

I am sure there are loads qualified techies who would consider giving up half a day for these demos sessions

Could this be acheiveable and could it help, or is this a daft idea?

Louise

Hi Louise
No, this is definately not a daft idea! Some of the journos might just take the offer up and learn something plus the continual influx of info and offers from 'good' techs would draw attention to the fact that it is not all bad.

Good plan

Marian

Just thought I'd get this thread going as I wondered if Marian had received a response from the editor of Best as yet . does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back