Medication for my son, finally!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chezzababy

Reaction score
Had the physiatrist with my son today he has finally been giving Ritalin for his Adhd.

Just have to wait and see how things go, this has been going on for 6 years now.

xxx

my son is on ritalin hes only on a low dose just enough to get him through school hours but its helped massivly , his concentration is a million times better xxx

my son is on ritalin hes only on a low dose just enough to get him through school hours but its helped massivly , his concentration is a million times better xxx

Thanks for replying,

Ethan will be taking it in the morning and afternoon. Hopefully it will make a difference.

Thanx again

xx

My youngest was on something (not Ritalin) for ADHD and it made a world of difference. Best of luck to you! :hug:

all so wanted to write and say good luck x

my Oldest has ADHD amongst other issues , has been on Ritalin for about 6 years , and my daughter has to for about a year now,

It is a really hard choice to make , and sometimes others who are not in the same situation wont understand , but the differences that I have found wear phenomenal with both of mine , there are still difficult days , and never a quiet moment but they can read , write and keep up at school now.

I really hope that you and your little one have as much success ,

Ceri x

Thanx ladies, yeah is hard sometimes but I wouldn't change him. Hopefully get his meds at the end of the week.

Thanx for giving me hope.

xxx

My daughter was diagonsied with ADHD few months ago she has medikinet which she has three times aday but need the dose changing as was working at first but not so much now but back at the hospital thu, cant believe she has that and i have ME! :Scared:xx

my son was 8 when he was dignosed , i always knew he had it as he was the same as my nephew , but i didnt want to have him on medication , but by the time he was 8 it was either get him medication or i think i would have had him adopted , lol its incredibly hard dealing with them (dont get me wrong it still is ) but at least while hes at school hes not like a monkey let out the zoo (which he literally was he couldnt stay still for trying )
i had read every book known to man tried homeopathic remedies etc.. nothing worked it really is a good thing for us that he is on medication i can cope with him climbing the walls at home but not at school , he gets A'S too now which is fantastic
just know tho it can effect their sleeping .. they might not go to sleep as easy at first and also if they have it late in the day too .. also keep an eye out for his eating habits as it can make them lose weight altho since my sons been on it his appetite is better , lol
good luck xxx

my son was 8 when he was dignosed , i always knew he had it as he was the same as my nephew , but i didnt want to have him on medication , but by the time he was 8 it was either get him medication or i think i would have had him adopted , lol its incredibly hard dealing with them (dont get me wrong it still is ) but at least while hes at school hes not like a monkey let out the zoo (which he literally was he couldnt stay still for trying )
i had read every book known to man tried homeopathic remedies etc.. nothing worked it really is a good thing for us that he is on medication i can cope with him climbing the walls at home but not at school , he gets A'S too now which is fantastic
just know tho it can effect their sleeping .. they might not go to sleep as easy at first and also if they have it late in the day too .. also keep an eye out for his eating habits as it can make them lose weight altho since my sons been on it his appetite is better , lol
good luck xxx

I had to get my daughter to put on weight before they would give her it and he said NEVER give her one after 5.00pm
Its harder to diagonise in girls as they are more likely to be dreamy and find trouble keeping friends ect, when she sits having her breakfast i say wow you have just done the great north run as her feet are going crazy!
she is very hyper and gets very exited about simple things bless her. xx

I'm glad you've managed to get help, my son was diagnosed when he was 7 until then I'd blamed myself as a doctor basically told me I was making his behaviour up!

My son tried Ritalin, it worked for a time then just made him feel sick.

He's now on strateera, and that worked for a while but seems to have stopped.

The only thing with Ritalin is the come down after. I put up with it so that he could concentrate at school.

Adam is in yr 4 now and struggling with school, he's just not mature enough for key stage 2. Everyday is a battle just to get him there.

Waffle over

Big hugs x

Thanks for your kind words, Ethan doesn't sleep much that's why he is only getting two doses of it. It's very hard work, I have another son who is 13 and a daughter who is 6months. He has taken knives to me, sometimes he is very intimidating but have to keep telling myself he has something wrong with him.

Have to have my wits about me at all times.

Thanks again

xxx

Thanks for your kind words, Ethan doesn't sleep much that's why he is only getting two doses of it. It's very hard work, I have another son who is 13 and a daughter who is 6months. He has taken knives to me, sometimes he is very intimidating but have to keep telling myself he has something wrong with him.

Have to have my wits about me at all times.

Thanks again

xxx

My heart goes out to you! :hug:

Ahh that must be frightening for you, I hope the medication will help, it must be hard having other children too x x

Thanks again ladies, should get the meds, tomorrow, doc called me today saying that the physiatrist has emailed them so fingers crossed things get better. Am under no illusion that his behaviour will get better but maybe this will allow him to think and make the right choices.

xxx

My eldest son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 8, he is now 15. The diagnosis was made because his juniour school could see signs of ADHD and they asked me if they could refer him to be assesed. I had been asking his infant school for help since he was 5 and was constantly told there was nothing wrong with him, although I could see definate problems with his behaviour and his schooling from that early on.

He tried several different medications for his ADHD in the beginning and we found Equasym XL to be the best for him, he started on a low dose and slowly the dose was increased until we found the correct level for him where he could concentrate in school and his behaviour improved massively.

He is severley underweight and we have issues with him having no appetite because of the medication but he is now having meal somesupliments (complan) and making a real effort to eat all the right food, especially once his tablet has worn off.

Thankfully he only has to take it once a day, although that means it has worn off by the time he gets home from school I try my best to manage his behaviour so that he can eat a good size evening meal (now has the same size portion as my boyf lol) and go to sleep at a decent time of the night - I used to get top up tablets of a lower dose for him to take after school (always took before 4pm) but I stopped those as he wasn't really eating anything all day and would be awake all night.

Once he was on the correct dose of medication the school assesed him for Dyslexia and found him to have a form of that too which he immediatley got help for and this has made a big difference in his school work too. He had been tested for Dyslexia previousley but the results were always inconclusive as he would refuse point blank to do any writing (not just for the test but he would refuse to write at all times as it was a real chore for him to write - he has since said said it hurt him to write before his diagnosis & meds).

It is a tough thing to live with a child who has the ADHD chemical imbalance in their brain but the difference in them once you have found the correct medication is wonderful. I look back and wonder how I ever coped with him before his meds as I know within 2 mins of being in a room with him if he has taken his meds or not that day.

We have recently gone through a bit of a tough time with him, where he decided he didn't want to take his meds and being a teenager he thinks he knows what's best etc.. etc.. He made a months tablets last nearly 2 months (which meant he was taking them once every other day at most so we were arguing and putting up with mood swings daily) so I confronted him and asked what was going on & why he wasn't taking his meds propperly.

He said he didn't want to take meds anymore and thought he was fine without them so I made him a deal. He could go 1 month without meds so long as he promised to try really hard to behave at all times and to work hard in school and we would then look back over the month and see how he had done and we would talk with his ADHD Dr after that month to discuss where to go from there.

I booked a Dr appointment for after the month and I also asked the school to ask all hi teachers for feedback on his behaviour and his work for the last 2 months (explaining that the last month was med free) the school were fab and passed a form around for all the teachers to comment on and it turned out that they ALL said 'he needs to concentrate more and the level of his work has dropped in the last month' or words to that effect.

We talked and he read the teachers notes and agreed that he obviously wasn't ok without the meds so he would go back on them until his GCSE's are done (massive relief for me lol) and we would then revisit the situation and see if he could stop the meds at that point.

Life is tough with having him and 3 other younger children but I wouldn't change him for the world. He makes me soo proud and I see my boy growing up and struggling with his illness but he also understands that it is an illness and that there is nothing to be ashamed about or to be worried about.

We hope the time will come soon when he can stop the meds and learn the skills he needs to control his temper and thought processes enough to get by in life without others noticing he is any different to them.

Good luck with the meds and remember they are not going to work instantly and you may not even notice the difference in him at first but stick with it and you will know if the tablets work when he forgets to take one, as the difference is sooo noticable then lol.

Feel free to PM me at any time if you want to chat or whatever. :Love:

I was told when I was younger I had ADHD I was on ritalin for about 4years till I finished school.

As I grew up I grew out of it. However I don't believe I had ADHD.

I hated being on Ritalin for many reason and wouldn't take it when I could. It was great for exams as I could sit still.

But I was drugged up all the time. I remember my friends would sit there and make fun on me. Just joking around but it was like I was stoned all the time. I was so unsociable. I stopped eatting as I was never hungry when I was on it. A lot of the nights I found I wouldn't sleep as I couldn't. Even tho I took it early afternoon.

To me I found it was a way the teachers could just shut me lol. I'm was rubbish at school.

I know some kids have ADHD really bad.

I grew up with my dad and my mum used to always go mad about it as she put it down to a poor diet, no sleep, no help at school. And many more.

This is my experience with taken Ritalin. Sorry if it upsets anyone but it's not a nice drug to take and I was a child who didn't need it. I was just a hyper kid.

Xxx

My eldest son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 8, he is now 15. The diagnosis was made because his juniour school could see signs of ADHD and they asked me if they could refer him to be assesed. I had been asking his infant school for help since he was 5 and was constantly told there was nothing wrong with him, although I could see definate problems with his behaviour and his schooling from that early on.

He tried several different medications for his ADHD in the beginning and we found Equasym XL to be the best for him, he started on a low dose and slowly the dose was increased until we found the correct level for him where he could concentrate in school and his behaviour improved massively.

He is severley underweight and we have issues with him having no appetite because of the medication but he is now having meal somesupliments (complan) and making a real effort to eat all the right food, especially once his tablet has worn off.

Thankfully he only has to take it once a day, although that means it has worn off by the time he gets home from school I try my best to manage his behaviour so that he can eat a good size evening meal (now has the same size portion as my boyf lol) and go to sleep at a decent time of the night - I used to get top up tablets of a lower dose for him to take after school (always took before 4pm) but I stopped those as he wasn't really eating anything all day and would be awake all night.

Once he was on the correct dose of medication the school assesed him for Dyslexia and found him to have a form of that too which he immediatley got help for and this has made a big difference in his school work too. He had been tested for Dyslexia previousley but the results were always inconclusive as he would refuse point blank to do any writing (not just for the test but he would refuse to write at all times as it was a real chore for him to write - he has since said said it hurt him to write before his diagnosis & meds).

It is a tough thing to live with a child who has the ADHD chemical imbalance in their brain but the difference in them once you have found the correct medication is wonderful. I look back and wonder how I ever coped with him before his meds as I know within 2 mins of being in a room with him if he has taken his meds or not that day.

We have recently gone through a bit of a tough time with him, where he decided he didn't want to take his meds and being a teenager he thinks he knows what's best etc.. etc.. He made a months tablets last nearly 2 months (which meant he was taking them once every other day at most so we were arguing and putting up with mood swings daily) so I confronted him and asked what was going on & why he wasn't taking his meds propperly.

He said he didn't want to take meds anymore and thought he was fine without them so I made him a deal. He could go 1 month without meds so long as he promised to try really hard to behave at all times and to work hard in school and we would then look back over the month and see how he had done and we would talk with his ADHD Dr after that month to discuss where to go from there.

I booked a Dr appointment for after the month and I also asked the school to ask all hi teachers for feedback on his behaviour and his work for the last 2 months (explaining that the last month was med free) the school were fab and passed a form around for all the teachers to comment on and it turned out that they ALL said 'he needs to concentrate more and the level of his work has dropped in the last month' or words to that effect.

We talked and he read the teachers notes and agreed that he obviously wasn't ok without the meds so he would go back on them until his GCSE's are done (massive relief for me lol) and we would then revisit the situation and see if he could stop the meds at that point.

Life is tough with having him and 3 other younger children but I wouldn't change him for the world. He makes me soo proud and I see my boy growing up and struggling with his illness but he also understands that it is an illness and that there is nothing to be ashamed about or to be worried about.

We hope the time will come soon when he can stop the meds and learn the skills he needs to control his temper and thought processes enough to get by in life without others noticing he is any different to them.

Good luck with the meds and remember they are not going to work instantly and you may not even notice the difference in him at first but stick with it and you will know if the tablets work when he forgets to take one, as the difference is sooo noticable then lol.

Feel free to PM me at any time if you want to chat or whatever. :Love:

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me.

xxxx

I was told when I was younger I had ADHD I was on ritalin for about 4years till I finished school.

As I grew up I grew out of it. However I don't believe I had ADHD.

I hated being on Ritalin for many reason and wouldn't take it when I could. It was great for exams as I could sit still.

But I was drugged up all the time. I remember my friends would sit there and make fun on me. Just joking around but it was like I was stoned all the time. I was so unsociable. I stopped eatting as I was never hungry when I was on it. A lot of the nights I found I wouldn't sleep as I couldn't. Even tho I took it early afternoon.

To me I found it was a way the teachers could just shut me lol. I'm was rubbish at school.

I know some kids have ADHD really bad.

I grew up with my dad and my mum used to always go mad about it as she put it down to a poor diet, no sleep, no help at school. And many more.

This is my experience with taken Ritalin. Sorry if it upsets anyone but it's not a nice drug to take and I was a child who didn't need it. I was just a hyper kid.

Xxx

Aww Hun, so sorry to hear this, Ethan needs to be retested for Aspergers but they can't do it till he calms down. He has been like this since he was 3, it's been very hard, peopling telling me that he was just a typical boy. My other soon Aidan, who is 13 was never like that.

Ethan doesn't sleep very well and is very vulnerable when out, he is no sense of danger, roads, strangers etc. He has been in a lot of trouble with others blaming things on Ethan as he has been a easy person to blame.

xxx

it sounds to me like your dose was way too high , this is the reason i dont want my son on a high dose as it does make you look drugged up etc..
i have seen it before and it is awful i am grateful if my son can get through the 6 hrs of school if hes hyper at home then i can deal with it coz i did it for 8 yrs ,

In my experience the medications are started at a low dose an increased slowly to get to the level that gives the best results and the child is asked how they feel, if they have any troubles, worries etc... at each appointmnet with the Dr and if the parent or child have any issues or concerns then they are talked about and then dealt with.

My son went up to a dose higher than he is on now and we took him back down as we were not happy with how things were on that higher dose, he wasn't zombified or anything like that but his appetite totally dissapeared and it made no more of a difference to his behaviour or concentration levels than being on the slightly lower dose.

I do think that as a parent you MUST listen to your child and take their feelings and experiences into account when it comes to their medication as only they know what is going on for them.

It is a shame to hear of someone having a negative experience with ADHD and meds and I think that sometimes Dr's have been too quick to label children and whack them onto meds but my experience has been one of there being lots of tests and regular visits to the Dr to check on my sons progress and all his issues have been brought up and fully discussed with his Dr. If at any time you or your little one is unhappy about anything make sure you talk to the Dr and anyone else you feel you need to, to sort it out. Don't ever think your annoying or an overly fussy mum etc.. as we know our kids and we know when something isn't right and we need to be heard to fix the issue asap.

Latest posts

Back