Medication index!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smiler13334

#Nailartistic_me
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

ls there anyway an index could be drawn up which details specific illnesses and medication that affect the natural nails? l ask my clients if they are on medication etc and in this day and age most are, and in the book l have, nail problems bought on by these are not listed. :(

what are the main medications that affect the nails?
And does taking certain drugs :shock: :shock: cause any problems to the nails. rang my local chemist asking this, and they classed it as a prank call - :D :D

Some that are taken or clients have wrong, might as well be in another language. help!!

Actually every type of illness affects the nails and hair etc.

Asking a client during a consultation if they are on medication is a polite way of getting to know about their general health.

If a patient was on any 'heavy' medication such as for heart disease or cancer treatment, diabetic etc. You wou would want to get a doctor's permision before doing a treatment. That's why we ask the question. Other everyday types of things will not be a problem.

The reason that there isn’t is because...

There has never been any conclusive scientific proof that any medication causes problems with nail enhancements.

Here's the thing.
  1. The keratin of the natural nail plate that product adheres to is generally produced by the matrix about 4-6 weeks before the product goes on.
  2. The cells produced by the matrix are still... well... keratin and do not change composition.
  3. The matrix dictates the thickness/width of the plate and is immutable. That basically means that it doesn’t change. So taking meds cant thin the plate and then stopping meds make the plate go back to normal.
    [/list:o]

There has been a lot o time looking into this issue and nothing has ever come back conclusive.
    It is the general consensus that either the meds or the symptoms that the meds are treating are more likely to cause things like excessively oil plates and the like.

Thanks ever so for both your replies :)
l have had two clients in the past who no matter what system l used never stayed on for very long - my other clients are fine. As l was training at the time l put it down to me not doing something right and in time my prep was how it should be - but these two clients nails did not last ? one was on medication for a bowel problem and the other anti depressants. any idea's or is it me? :(
Oily nail plates - are these associated with oily skin and hair? or are there other factors that pin point this? what extra prep can you do to combat this?
Thank you for listening my knowledgeable ones :) :)

P.S why is it when l'm ill my nails are great then when l feel better my nails seem to go brittle - or do l need medication LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back