Men's massage? (Legs)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanitybeauty1

Reaction score
When massaging a mans legs would you massage the front of their thigh? When i trained i was told not to but I dont see how I can charge full price if technically im only massaging 3/4 of the leg! Does anybody know a way to get around this? Im just not sure of the proper way to massage a mans legs. Thank you.

When I trained 8 years ago we were taught not to massage the inside thigh or the abdomen! You could massage the outside of the leg to were you felt comfortable and appropriate xx

Stomachs ive come across but not thighs.
I massage everyone the same and i would also massage buttocks i know many wouldn't but most holistic/massage therapists do.You lay the towel length ways so no cracks on show:).

If a man is there for sexual purposes you will generally know probably even before you start massaging them.

I dont think its good practice to leave bits out just because they are men most men really do just want a good massage and mens thigh muscles get tight just as much as other parts.

Absolutely - why would you not massage them? I'm quite shocked that you're told during training not to massage the quads of male clients :eek:

Im just not sure of the proper way to massage a mans legs.

I'm not sure what you've been taught, but just massage them as you would a woman's legs.

Last edited:
As others have already pointed out, a man's quads become tight the same as anyone else's so i'm confused why you would leave them out? I always include them but am careful when "picking up" the muscle that i dont go to far on the inside of the thigh. If they are paying for a full body massage, then that's what they should get :) xx

Absolutely - why would you not massage them? I'm quite shocked that you're told during training not to massage the quads of male clients :eek:

Totally agree, why wouldn't you massage the front? Just be aware there are maybe some moves you can't preform depending on how dense the leg hair is as don't want to tuck on the hair and make it uncomfortable. X

I've had clients who have had just an hour massing their legs! The legs and buttocks are home to some of the biggest muscles in the body, and if the client is at all sporty (unlike me) will be in need of some work.

I have never understood the whole don't massage the stomach or legs on a guy. The stomach can be one of the most powerful areas to massage - a lot of people carry their tension their, and so it really benefits from the massage.

With the client lying prone (face down) I massage the back of the legs, when they are suppine I would do the front, inside and outside of the legs - upper and lower. Be firm with your draping and it won't be a problem.

Mat

I was taught not to massage lower abdomen and high inside thigh incase something is stimulated that doesn't need stimulation if you know what I mean?!
I can't remember how it was worded to use at college lol...x

We were told at college that massaging those area's 'can' cause involuntary erections. I stress the word 'CAN'.

Something to think about though is that a guy having an involuntary erection is completely different from a guy having intentions and being innapropriate! If a guy got an involuntary erection he is likely to be mortified and highly embarrased.
So the last thing he would need is for the therapist to start kicking off and thinking hes a perv! Just think about it from a human aspect and be professional and asses the motive behind it!

Ive massaged a guy before who had it happen but there was no intention like that so I just carried on and didnt mention it. IF it had been an innapropriate intention then he would have been out the door.

Ask first!

I worked in a male grooming salon for years and did sports massage so in this case i always needed to massage thier thighs, front and back - basically everywhere, - including their butts sometimes!! LOL!

Only do it if you feel comfortable to do it. As other ppl have mentioned if promblems do 'arise' you need to be completly proffessional. good luck! lol x x

Very good point Matthew : )

I always ask if they would like their abdomen massaged and I always massage upper/inner thigh, I don't know why you would have been told not to?!?
Obviously be a little careful it that area as you don't know what's 'lurking' lol but there's no need to treat a man different.
Rhiannon x

Completely agree, Matthew. I have had this happen a couple of times. I have quite a lot of male clients and quite a lot of clients that wear nothing (it is a lot easier to massage someone without clothing). It can happen completely involuntarily, particularly when working on someone with a groin injury. Believe me, the client is usually mortified and far more embarrassed than we should be as professionals. If there is an ulterior motive it is usually apparent long before it gets to that stage, and I can also say, hand on heart, in 18 years of doing massage (and I only do massage and do it full time) I have never had an inappropriate situation arise.

Edited to add.

Agree, Fozzyo, but wouldn't limit it to sporty people either. Tightness in the quads and weak abdominals are a very common cause of non specific lower back problems, particularly for people that sit at desks all day. Ignoring these areas, and the glutes too, is ignoring important areas that really benefit from being worked on.

Last edited:
I was taught not to massage lower abdomen and high inside thigh incase something is stimulated that doesn't need stimulation if you know what I mean?!
I can't remember how it was worded to use at college lol...x

I too was taught not to massage over "femoral triangle" - perhaps thats how it was worded at college.

However, I mostly ignore that instruction re legs, although I do always ask clients if they want the lower abdomen massaged as I have found that some people can find it slightly nauseous.

This is a very good thread. I do a lot of massage on men and I must say I don't massage the inner or the upper thigh. I position my towel so that the top of the thigh is covered.I mean I only massage half of the thigh. That is what I feel comfortable with.

Its fine to massage the legs front and back, most men usually get an involuntary erection, its usually more embarrassing for them than me, I just carry on and don't mention it, its just an erection at the end of the day and they don't bite - usually ;-) lol
As long as the guy isn't laying nude and undraped or fiddling around under the towels, I don't see a problem.
You can usually suss the pervs pretry quickly, they'll want to be undraped, nude and or drop huge hints like "just a bit higher up my leg please" when you're massaging the upper thigh.
I have had a few of them unfortunately, I didn't make a big song and dance, I just stopped and asked them to get dressed and leave. Most male clients just want the massage and if you make the effort, they are loyal x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Its fine to massage the legs front and back, most men usually get an involuntary erection, its usually more embarrassing for them than me, I just carry on and don't mention it, its just an erection at the end of the day and they don't bite - usually ;-) lol
As long as the guy isn't laying nude and undraped or fiddling around under the towels, I don't see a problem.
You can usually suss the pervs pretry quickly, they'll want to be undraped, nude and or drop huge hints like "just a bit higher up my leg please" when you're massaging the upper thigh.
I have had a few of them unfortunately, I didn't make a big song and dance, I just stopped and asked them to get dressed and leave. Most male clients just want the massage and if you make the effort, they are loyal x

Thats very true, all genuine men are looking for someone they can feel comfortable with as well as a good massage and they will often stick with you for years and be regular.

Thats very true, all genuine men are looking for someone they can feel comfortable with as well as a good massage and they will often stick with you for years and be regular.
I agree and just to add you do get to know your clients male and female and with either you are in control, I have been through a few moments and had a bit of a bad recation on this site all I will say is it makes you stonger and more determined.

haven't read all the comments as not long come in from work, but, I massage as much of the leg as I can do.
Most of my male clients wear boxers but I push them upwards to try and reach as much as possible.

Draping is your key!

haven't read all the comments as not long come in from work, but, I massage as much of the leg as I can do.
Most of my male clients wear boxers but I push them upwards to try and reach as much as possible.

Draping is your key!

Not dressing as a naughty nurse also lol x

Latest posts

Back